Best Weights for the job

Options
Hi all
Not sure where to start with weights - I am doing a lot of walking on the treadmill and wanted to try and multi task by using some weights to tone up my arms, shoulders back etc while I walk. I am not sure what to buy in terms of weight - I would say my arm strenghth is zero. I have seen a set of dumbells which are 0.5, 1 and 1.5kg (two of each) - would this be a good investment to start and carry on with

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks

Gillian

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    As a trainer, I don't recommend walking with weights just because you can't go heavy enough to do much good for the muscles. You'd be better off getting something a little heavier and doing some bicep curls and triceps extensions before your walking. That way you work the arm muscles in a full range of motion instead of the static hold of a 90 degree bend of the elbow like you see so many walkers doing. Plus going a little heavier can actually cause the physiological changes in the muscle that give you definition and extra calorie burn. Even 5 minutes of weight training with a heavy enough weight will be beneficial. As for the weight to get, pick them up before you buy. Do a set of 8-12. If you can do that many and not feel like the last one is tough, then the weight is too light for you. Over time, you will need to go up in weight too, so I wouldn't recommend spending a ton on the first set of weights because you will out grow it.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as TONE. toning is really muscle definition..to do this you must lose fat..to see muscle you must have muscles.

to gain muscle you must do heavy lifting and eat above your maintenance calories. to lose fat you must do cardio and eat below them.

all the weights will do on your walks is burn more calories, and give you more muscle endurance (meaning your muscles wont get as tired or worn out)..it will do nothing for building muscle or 'toning'
  • TearsoftheMushroom
    Options
    Thank you for the enlightenment, the last time I used weights was the early 90's it was light hand weights and it was during a low impact aerobics with weights class. I really felt the difference after the first class compared with when I had not used them. Well I best get rid of my excess body fat before I start wishing for muscle definition and a six pack!

Thanks experts!
  • TearsoftheMushroom
    Options
    Thank you for the enlightenment, the last time I used weights was the early 90's it was light hand weights and it was during a low impact aerobics with weights class. I really felt the difference after the first class compared with when I had not used them. Well I best get rid of my excess body fat before I start wishing for muscle definition and a six pack!

Thanks experts!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,237 Member
    Options
    If you are really untrained, you can put on muscle even in a calorie deficit. Maybe not with a huge one, but with a moderate calorie deficit it is possible, especially for completely untrained people. It is slow and you need to lift heavy weights for 6-10 repetition so that the last repetition is hard enough that you could not do another one. The reason for this is because such a person is so out of shape the body must add muscle. The reason this is not possible for people who have a fair amount of muscle already is that they are much closer to where their maximum muscle potential, while a completely untrained person has very little muscle to start with. Thus when you put demands on your muscles, you will find they respond.

I would suggest Squats, Bench Presses, Overhead Presses and barbell rows to start. They all use more than one muscle group and will provide a good foundation. Be careful with the form on all of these. If you are at a gym ask for help from one of the trainers.