Shoe advice. Not sure what category to put this into.

Options
kevdawg86
kevdawg86 Posts: 16 Member
Does anyone have recommendations on a really good set of shoes for an overweight guy. I'm currently about 475. I want to walk and jog but need a really good pair of shoes. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've worn Brooks beast for a while but want to know if that's what's best. Thank you for any and all help.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kevdawg86 wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations on a really good set of shoes for an overweight guy. I'm currently about 475. I want to walk and jog but need a really good pair of shoes. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've worn Brooks beast for a while but want to know if that's what's best. Thank you for any and all help.

Got to a running shop and ask to be fitted for running shoes.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yes. Definitely. Find a good store where they measure your feet, watch you walk and, analyze your gait.
    They'll get you to try a few brands. Take your time. It's worth it. Well worth it. Good luck. Go for it.
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I went to a running shop a few weeks back to get some new footwear and it was the best decision I've made! I feel much more comfortable when walking / running now. Admittedly I'm looking at running a half-marathon in a few months so that's what spurred me onto visiting the running shop, however I wish I'd gone there sooner.
  • kevdawg86
    Options
    Thank you guys for the help. Do you guys have a preferred brand?. I live in a fairly small town so there aren't a lot of choices but I will be visiting a bigger city in the next couple weeks so I may need to see what's available there and see if they offer foot measurements and gait measurements.
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I went in with no knowledge of what to expect to find, I didn't recognise any of the brands that were stocked. The sales person spent 15 - 20 mins looking at how I walk / run, watching my ankles and if there was any inward rolling of my feet. I tried a pair on walked / ran a little in the shop, but he thought he could do better and found a pair which felt a lot more comfortable and were actually cheaper. The brand I have is Karhu. However I live in England so I'm not sure what brands are available over there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the help. Do you guys have a preferred brand?. I live in a fairly small town so there aren't a lot of choices but I will be visiting a bigger city in the next couple weeks so I may need to see what's available there and see if they offer foot measurements and gait measurements.

we could each name a different preferred brand.. you need to find ones right for you, not what we like!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Quite a few years back, it was recommended to me to go to a running store to get fitted. Roadrunner Sports is one chain that can fit you, but there are lots of independent stores, too. I was quite embarrassed to go since I was very heavy and wasn't a runner, although I became one later. They were very helpful and didn't make me feel at all self-conscious. Runners are some of the nicest people in the world.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Most running stores are going to carry a few different brands. If they're good, they'll have you get on a treadmill and they will film you and analyze your stride and gait and such and they will determine if you need a neutral shoe or if you need some support for pronation. From there they will measure your feet and should bring out a few different shoes for you to try on to see what feels best to you. They're all going to feel a little different...something in the tow box does or doesn't feel right...too narrow, too wide, etc.

I wouldn't worry so much about the brand as finding an actual running specific store to get you a proper fit as per the way you run. That said, I'm a Brooks guy.
  • kevdawg86
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'm actually in a bigger city for tonight and tomorrow (my little town doesn't have stores that measure your feet) so I'm going to make a special trip to fleet feet and the new balance store for some help.
  • ronronronj
    ronronronj Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Whatever you get, make sure you feel like you have good arch support!
  • kevdawg86
    Options
    I ended up getting the Brooks beast. They are the same ones I was wearing before just not two years old haha.