Bruises on Legs after Kettlebells Workout

Options
ExRelaySprinter
ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've just started doing Workouts using Kettlebells....targeting my Legs (i.e Squats, Lunges) and i've noticed i have a large bruise on the back of my knee/sort of lower thigh.
I'm guessing it's due to the new workout and it's kind of putting me off. :/
Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    unless you somehow smacked yourself there with a kettlebell I don't see how tbh...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    don't hit yourself with a kettlebell then :grin:
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    That's the thing, i haven't hit myself! Lol
    But i did actually just Google it and it seems it's quite common when working out using weights.
    It's just a bit off-putting though.
    Right now, the weather isn't that great so i'm mostly in Leggings or Jeans. But if this keeps happening when it gets warmer.....don't really want to be walking around with bruises all over my Legs!
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Maybe you did clip yourself and didnt realise
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You're no supposed to hit yourself with those things.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i get random bruises all the time when working out. well, i guess thats where i get them.

that or my husband is beating my in my sleep (with his one arm) and i dont know it ;) LOLOL
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I bruise easily, though. I do shoulder presses with kettlebells and have sort of permanent bruises on my lower forearms from them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    Don't target your legs with kettlebells. It really hurts! :wink:
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, i haven't hit myself! Lol
    But i did actually just Google it and it seems it's quite common when working out using weights.
    It's just a bit off-putting though.
    Right now, the weather isn't that great so i'm mostly in Leggings or Jeans. But if this keeps happening when it gets warmer.....don't really want to be walking around with bruises all over my Legs!

No, using a weight does not make bruises spontaneously appear. Kettlebells are awkward to hold and it is common to bruise your forearms or wrist bc the kettle bell may bang it-maybe the front of your legs if you swing too crazy.

Weights are heavy, so I'm sure it's common to accidentally hit yourself. My guess, though, is that whatever you read was referring to barbells. Ever see the CROSSFIT ladies with the high socks? Yea, that's to try to minimize the damage to their shins from doing deadlifts. Bruises are quite common. My shins and thighs are usually pretty bruised.

Anyway-if you did not actually hit yourself with the weight, then the weight did not cause the bruise. Think about how silly that is!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Anyway-if you did not actually hit yourself with the weight, then the weight did not cause the bruise. Think about how silly that is!

@slaite1 I already said i didn't hit myself with the Kettlebell.
    If i did, obviously there would be no reason for my post!
    The reason i think it's due to the Kettlebell, is.... i've only just started using them, had very sore Legs after the workouts (only had 2 sessions) and i've never had bruising doing any other kind of exercise before.
    Seems a bit of a coincidence don't you think?

@mamapeach910 How long after your Kettlebell workouts, did you start to notice the bruising?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

The reason i think it's due to the Kettlebell, is.... i've only just started using them, had very sore Legs after the workouts (only had 2 sessions) and i've never had bruising doing any other kind of exercise before.

@mamapeach910 How long after your Kettlebell workouts, did you start to notice the bruising?

She has forearm bruises from racking the kettlebells on them. They didn't just spontaneously appear. That's not how bruises work.

Correlation doesn't always mean causation, you know!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Well, in doing a shoulder press, the actual kettlebell hits the part of my lower forearm/wrist that's bruised when you raise the weight up. So I noticed redness right away and bruising later in the day.

If you didn't hit yourself with the kettlebell where you're bruised, you probably just banged into something and don't remember it. I do that all the time.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Well, in doing a shoulder press, the actual kettlebell hits the part of my lower forearm/wrist that's bruised when you raise the weight up. So I noticed redness right away and bruising later in the day.

If you didn't hit yourself with the kettlebell where you're bruised, you probably just banged into something and don't remember it. I do that all the time.

*nods*
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Yep
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If they are large, spreading type bruises that you can't explain, you may want to get to the dr. If it is a concern, it wouldn't hurt to have a blood panel run. I had a serious bruising problem when I was dieting wrong (crash dieting) once. I looked like I had been beaten or was in a serious car wreck.

Seriously, if I bumped my leg on something, I would get a humongous bruise down half my thigh. It was scary. When I went to the dr, it was that my protein intake was very, very low and my blood couldn't coagulate properly. I think a vitamin K deficiency can also cause easy bruising but I'm not positive.

Whenever I start bruising up again, I start really monitoring my diet to make sure that nothing is amiss.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited May 2015
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    If they are large, spreading type bruises that you can't explain, you may want to get to the dr. If it is a concern, it wouldn't hurt to have a blood panel run. I had a serious bruising problem when I was dieting wrong (crash dieting) once. I looked like I had been beaten or was in a serious car wreck.

Seriously, if I bumped my leg on something, I would get a humongous bruise down half my thigh. It was scary. When I went to the dr, it was that my protein intake was very, very low and my blood couldn't coagulate properly. I think a vitamin K deficiency can also cause easy bruising but I'm not positive.

Whenever I start bruising up again, I start really monitoring my diet to make sure that nothing is amiss.

Yeah, i may just take a trip to the Dr just to see if it's something else that could be going on....as i'm 100% sure i didn't hit it.
    The bruise is also at such a strange area (at the back of the knee)...i would've defo remembered if i hit myself there!