starcy veges

Options
do you eat much in the way of parsnip, kumara, potato, pumpkin, yams, potato and that kind of starchy vege, or do you think it may jeopadise your weight loss?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I like butternut squash and sweet potatoes. I do not think that they affect weight. It depends on what else I am eating that day.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    They wont hinder your weight loss if you eat them within your calorie allowance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    do you eat much in the way of parsnip, kumara, potato, pumpkin, yams, potato and that kind of starchy vege, or do you think it may jeopadise your weight loss?

no food group jeopordises any weight loss

lack of calorie control does

I eat 50 - 60% of my calories in carbs - logging around 200-400g carbs a day ... mainly toast

I love butternut squash and potato but mainly white toast
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    LOL I thought starcey veges was a name then
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Why would they effect my weightloss as long as i'm in a calorie deficit?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Nope.. and btw these are yummy veggies (my new go to starcy veggie is the yam... oh so good).

Just eat the recommend number of calories MFP gives you by choosing foods you love..log it and keep with in your deficit and you are good to go! :):)
  • moniquejane1971
    moniquejane1971 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just wondered, I don't seem to be able to eat carbs..I seem to gain very easily if I eat them, but trying a few starchy veges, to see how I go
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I just wondered, I don't seem to be able to eat carbs..I seem to gain very easily if I eat them, but trying a few starchy veges, to see how I go

no you don't

you gain weight, as in body fat, from going over your TDEE calories

you may be playing around with water weight by reducing then increasing the carbs in your diet (up to around 10lbs) - once you cut carbs your glycogen stores in your liver (necessary for body systems to function) releases it's water (1g of glycogen holds 4g of water) - as soon as you eat carbs again it replenishes .. BAM 10 -15lbs of water weight right there
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Simply put carbs have a relatively low satiety value, hence you are prone to eating more thus threatening your calorie deficit. Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram. But generally speaking Protein and fats will make you feel fuller.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I eat some of those foods. As long as they fit in my calorie goal I am fine.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    LOL I thought starcey veges was a name then

so did I....

To the OP stay in a deficit and you are fine.

I live in potato country...McCain country starch is normal in my diet. It doesn't stop me from losing weight.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As many as I can! I have found that my running and lifting performance is markedly worse when I avoid starches.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato and parsnip are the bomb! Why would I ever avoid them? Lol
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I eat pumpkin in particular quite often. I stir it into cottage cheese. I'm also really, really fond of potatoes. I find them both really satiating combined with protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do, especially winter squash (not specifically pumpkin), parsnips, potatoes, and sweet potatoes (what we get in the US are not actually yams). Also sunchokes, turnips, celeriac, carrots, and others I'm probably not thinking of.

I think eating a variety helps with weight loss because some have fewer calories than others. I often sub winter squash for potatoes, for example.

All of them help me with weight loss, though, because I like them and they help me feel satisfied. Obviously I count the calories in them and don't overeat.