Close to Goal, Still Feel Large

Options
Here's where I'm at. I'm 5'4" and weigh 130 lbs. I have a 27" waist with 21% body fat and wear a size 4 jean. My goal is to be at 18% body fat and wear a size 2 Jean. The calculations I do tell me I would need to lose about 7 lbs of fat to get to 18% body fat. I'm gettin bummed. I'm so close numbers wise but I feel like I don't look I want. I still feel bigger.

Anyone else have this problem? I thought I would look better this close to my goal. Will the last ten pounds make a big difference?

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Honestly time was the only thing that helped me FEEL smaller. I went from a size 12 to size 6 and it too much longer than just losing the weight to actually see and feel a difference, even when looking at old pictures. I guess it takes the mind a little while to catch up, plus wearing new clothing can really help to make the difference.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just need to give it time. Let your mind catch up, it's probably in your head.

Or maybe accept that your at a healthy weigh and you don't need to go smaller. 21% fat etc I think is in a healthy range etc.

Much lighter and you will need ankle weights to stop you being blown away by the wind. :smile:
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Same here...I've lost 28lb since jan 2nd..I've got 10lb to go...I feel no different. .still big...even though the scale doesn't lie. ...I'm not sure why this is......
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    skcrossley wrote: »
    Here's where I'm at. I'm 5'4" and weigh 130 lbs. I have a 27" waist with 21% body fat and wear a size 4 jean. My goal is to be at 18% body fat and wear a size 2 Jean. The calculations I do tell me I would need to lose about 7 lbs of fat to get to 18% body fat. I'm gettin bummed. I'm so close numbers wise but I feel like I don't look I want. I still feel bigger.

Anyone else have this problem? I thought I would look better this close to my goal. Will the last ten pounds make a big difference?

Let your head catch up

lift progressively heavier weights to body recomp

You're in a size 4 - that's already very small -

18% body fat for a female is ridiculously small unless you're a competitive bodybuilder / bikini competitor

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg

Edit to add IMHO the Lean area is not a target - it's below ideal (unless competing and then it's a short term thing)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Sounds like you just need to give it time. Let your mind catch up, it's probably in your head.

Or maybe accept that your at a healthy weigh and you don't need to go smaller. 21% fat etc I think is in a healthy range etc.

Much lighter and you will need ankle weights to stop you being blown away by the wind. :smile:

Careful now. There was a whole discussion the other day because someone was offended when someone gave her a compliment like that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Be patient.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    skcrossley wrote: »

Especially based on your age, maybe it is time to talk to a therapist. If at size 4 you feel you are big, it sounds like a body image issue or a self esteem issues, not a weight issue.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have you seen any photos of yourself recently?

I'm just about at goal and didn't feel like I'd lost anything. Still felt wobbly. Still felt the same size (I'd only had 15lbs to lose) even though I knew my clothes were much looser. People said I looked great and I didn't believe them.

But I've seen photos people have taken that I'm in and I do look slim and healthy. First time I noticed them I was surprised - I really noticed how thin I looked. In my head I still don't feel like the person in those photos!

It's a mental adjustment. I think size 4 is a UK size 8? There's no need for you to lose more weight, though as long as it won't put you in an 'underweight' category I'm not against it. But as above, let your head catch up first.

Why not do maintenance for a while and see how you feel? It'll give you a break, let you relax and eat a bit more, then you can aim for a bit more loss later if you still want to.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Sort of understand what your saying. Sometimes you don't look the way you thought you would when you hit a goal weight. If you were expecting to look super toned, taut stomach etc and you look kind of "skinny fat" and wobbly still I can tell you first hand losing more is not the way to go. I tried that, did not help how I felt about myself. I'm similar in stats and only a little taller. At 5'4 and a size 4 you need to acknowledge your not big or near big maybe just not the shape of models (often photoshopped.)

Maybe eat at maintance for a while and figure out exactly what about yourself is making you feel big still? And where your goals should be?
    Is it being under muscled and a tad flabby? is it your mind playing tricks on you or taking time to catch up to your new body? Is it that you've been dieting too long and stuck in the smaller is better frame of mind? Or having unrealistic expectations of dress sizes and shape in general? Etc etc.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have about the similiar measurements - 9 pounds from goal. I feel like I look healthy but big too. I do think losing just one more inch off my waste is significant...that said I have many photos of myself at this size and weight and the photos don't lie...I am not big.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I have been at it for over two years. I went from a size 14/16 down to a size 2/0. In my mind I still feel heavy/overweight yet when I see myself in photo's and sometimes in the mirror during the workout I look extremely thin! I feel good... healthy, fit, I have built muscle. People tell me I'm in amazing shape and all that but I still feel like the fat girl in the room LOL! It's easier to change your body and habits than it is to change your mind. I'm not sure how long it will take to see yourself as you really are. Some days I feel really fat and yet I'm wearing a size zero pants! It's pretty ridiculous!
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and went down from 150 to 128 when I was about 22 (I'm still in my 20s so it wasn't that long ago). I felt happy about fitting into a size 4 but I was upset I still had rolls (tiny) when I bent over and my thighs were still "fat". Our society leads us to believe that if we have fat on our body, we must need to lose weight. NO! When you are at a healthy weight and you want to get rid of some flab, you need to start eat at maintenance or a little more and start lifting. You will not get bulky, but all of the wobbly bits that makes you feel like you are still big will go away. I could be totally wrong here about why you still feel big but if that's the case, that's my advice. If it's not the wobbly bits and you just feel plain big, then you may want to see a therapist because you may have some body dismorphia.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I understand! I went from a size 12 to a 4 (US). It just takes time to see it, in the mirror especially. Photos help.

Every so often I'll catch a glimpse of myself and I'm startled but how different I look. Other times I think I look exactly the same. It's a mind-f***.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and went down from 150 to 128 when I was about 22 (I'm still in my 20s so it wasn't that long ago). I felt happy about fitting into a size 4 but I was upset I still had rolls (tiny) when I bent over and my thighs were still "fat". Our society leads us to believe that if we have fat on our body, we must need to lose weight. NO! When you are at a healthy weight and you want to get rid of some flab, you need to start eat at maintenance or a little more and start lifting. You will not get bulky, but all of the wobbly bits that makes you feel like you are still big will go away. I could be totally wrong here about why you still feel big but if that's the case, that's my advice. If it's not the wobbly bits and you just feel plain big, then you may want to see a therapist because you may have some body dismorphia.

looks like time for that google image I post all over the shop

a46378e79756000773fcee9ba88143012390.jpg
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    That pic always blows my mind, @rabbitjb. I'm interested in playing around with lifting this winter!
  • skcrossley
    skcrossley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I have upped my calories a little bit closer to maintenenance and am trying to just be healthy and more accepting of where I am at. I think it is my mind and I think I may have some unrealistic expectations. It can be pretty frustrating seeing all these super skinny/photoshopped girls in the media and then you start to believe that is the normal way to look. I think I am going to focus on a healthier mind, maintaining my weight, and lifting some weights.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I completely understand - I don't have the body type to be small. Based on what I look like now and how much I've lost so far and how far I have to go I'm still going to look enormous at goal weight. I really try not to compare myself to others but is is so hard when people who weigh the same as me or more are so much smaller! But it is what it is. Nothing I can change about it.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That's such an amazing example! I too feel big and I'm 136lbs (62kgs) at 5'8. It's because I have 0 muscle and so I am flabby and giggly! :pensive:

Will definitely work on toning ! :)
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This.

Willing to wager the OP suffers from lack of muscle as opposed to excess of fat...

• p_cisneros2
    p_cisneros2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Those who have 18% body fat are athletes. You don't necessarily have to lose weight now. If you still eat healthy and lots of lean proteins/complete amino acids everyday while hitting the gym you should be able to get there. Weights need to be lifted. Alternate days between arms, legs, back, abs, etc. Good luck!