Richard Simmons anyone? no negativity please.

Options
Okay, so I remember my mother having a Richard Simmons VHS when I was a kid. I know he's corny and crazy, but I remember it being a fun time. While I'm only 28, my weight kills my joints. My knees and ankles kill me. It's a low impact cardio workout that is pretty fun at the same time. I just ordered a DVD so that I can start it once I'm able to start exercising regularly.

So basically I'm just wondering if anyone has done/is doing Richard Simmons?

Again, no negativity please. I know he's corny and outdated.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    eliseshute wrote: »

Word choice could have been better here hahaha

As for the DVD, I've never done it but any form of cardio is good, whether it's low impact or not. Do what you can, maintain a calorie deficit and hopefully some time in the future your weight will not affect your joints in anyway! :)

• nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think you should do whatever exercise you enjoy :) especially when you are just starting. Tae bo is a nice low-impact exercise, Rosemary Conley and Joanna Hall do low-impact exercises as well (if I'm remembering rightly it's a while ago I did them).

I have always had ankle pain even when I was younger and slim, recently my knees started to hurt - I found cycling helped a lot.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I always liked Sweatin' to the Oldies. Richard Simmons is OK. I like him better than super hot models. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hey, he's corny as hell. He's probably outdated? but he makes you move and that's the important thing!! I have a Bollywood dance exercise video, it's funny as hell! Do I sweat, hell yes!! Abs hurt after it too! I have a Hip Hop exercise video too, not the recent hip-hop abs, and that's a blast.

If you move, and sweat, and enjoy, then the only reason it could be bad is if it actually did something that could physically hurt you. So go for it!
  • jamielynnmobile
    jamielynnmobile Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you moving! You could also try some of the Biggest Loser workout DVDs. Those are pretty low-impact cardio, and looking at Bob Harper always makes for a good time ;)!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I worked out with him when he was on tv in the 80s. I liked him for his happiness and up-beat attitude and that he didn't make anyone feel like shite. I say go for it. Whatever gets you moving and will keep you moving.
  • GraemeMcC
    GraemeMcC Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A friend used to say the following about training:
    Keep it fun or it won't get done.

Do whatever you enjoy.
  • eliseshute
    eliseshute Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    eliseshute wrote: »

Word choice could have been better here hahah

Oh my..lol. Can you tell I didn't proof read?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    One of the most important pieces to getting in shape is tracking your performance and progressively improving it. The problem with all those DVD's is that they make it practically impossible to objectively measure your performance. A lot of people who use those DVD's end up doing sort of the same thing every time and never make much real progress.

Why not walk either outside or with a treadmill? You can track your speed, distance, and incline (GPS watches are a lot of fun). You can monitor your performance and increase the difficulty level incrementally.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    He is a strange character but I'm in favor of whatever it takes to get one off the couch and start moving.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    what ever motivates you is a positive..
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

Why not walk either outside or with a treadmill? You can track your speed, distance, and incline (GPS watches are a lot of fun). You can monitor your performance and increase the difficulty level incrementally.

I'm guessing she doesn't want to do that because it's not fun. No point tracking progress if you find what your doing boring because you wont keep it up. The key to any thing is to do something you enjoy. The OP enjoys this so all power to her
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I always liked Sweatin' to the Oldies. Richard Simmons is OK. I like him better than super hot models. :)

I have the DVD set. haha.

I've used it a couple times. It's good for when you're stuck indoors.

Really, it's not that much different from Zumba. Zumba is just more modern music and flamboyent (not really quite the word I'm looking for) movements.

Seriously, whatever is fun for you and gets you moving, do it. Especially if it's something you can stick with.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Richard Simmons has led a ton of people to get into fitness. If you like his videos, go for it :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Richard Simmons has led a ton of people to get into fitness. If you like his videos, go for it :)

A ton of people. Kind of humorous if your think about it!
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'd always thought he was just a little goofy, but here he is speaking on Capital Hill about childhood obesity. His heart and head are in the right place.
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Used to do Richard Simmons workouts when I was a kid, back in the late 80s/early 90s. My mom liked him. I feel like everyone's mom probably has at least one dusty VHS copy of Sweatin to the Oldies somewhere :)
  • jennay2525
    jennay2525 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to work out to the video "dance your pants off" it had great 80's music! When I first started I was only able to get through a couple songs but the more I did it I was able to get through the whole tape.

Good luck!
  • eliseshute
    eliseshute Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm excited to get moving.
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    ahamm002 wrote: »

I'm guessing she doesn't want to do that because it's not fun. No point tracking progress if you find what your doing boring because you wont keep it up. The key to any thing is to do something you enjoy. The OP enjoys this so all power to her

This. I am actually purchasing a treadmill as soon as I'm healed. However, endless hours on a treadmill just don't do it for me all the time. I plan on alternating. I need something fun to keep me interested.

Also, I'm not so concerned with everything being measured. I'm fully focused on health and not pounds. I know they are linked, but the real test for me will be my energy and stamina levels.

• EEF8
    EEF8 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We used to do Sweating to the Oldies. It was fun. If you're having fun while moving you are more likely to keep moving. Go for it and then progress to more difficult workouts when you feel ready.