disabled trying to loose weight any tips?

Im 26 have cerebral palsy and need to loose weight any tips?? i work on a till, and try to do light exercise via vibration plate sitting on it and in my chair any ideas would be greatly appreciated ☺

Replies

• zoezoekende
    zoezoekende Posts: 27 Member
    Hi Im disabled and live in Holland. First things I found out that I wasn't eating enough protein.And that I had to eat more. So first tip : make sure you eat enough protein. Protein for breakfast or lunch makes that you don't snack during the day. Second tip , eat enough. Find out your TDEE and BMR. Don't go under your BMR. TDEE minus about 20% is good for weightloss. I consume between the 1600 and 1900 cal daily and lost about 10 kg since jan 2nd.

good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    you lose weight in the kitchen, you dont have to exercise

follow the calorie limits mfp provides and WEIGH ALL YOUR FOOD and you should lose weight. make sure your doctor knows your plans and agrees it is a healthy way for you to lose weight.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    The main thing for losing weight is to start tracking. Get a food scale (digital with a tare function) and start weighing what you eat. MFP will give you a food goal. You may want to talk with your doctor or other medical professional to see if there are any specific dietary or activity recommendations for people with cerebral palsy.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Welcome! Unless your doctor says otherwise, I'd say to enter all of your information into MFP and see how many calories you're allotted to eat per day to lose. Aim for a pound a week to start with and see how it goes.

Do you use a chair all the time? If so, your activity level would be Sedentary. Do you have a lot of/any involuntary movement? I'd imagine that would use more calories. Really it's a case of trying and seeing what will work, but you definitely don't have to be very active to lose weight - it's all about the calories. You need to ensure that you're eating fewer calories than you're burning just through your daily activities.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    How much can you move? Little gentle stretches may be an option or get your carer to help you do arm/ leg lifts or circling motions. But honestly that's for fitness and helping your muscles. I'd concentrate at eating the right amount of calories for you to lose a pound or two a week xx
  • toryah1988
    toryah1988 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for tips guys please keep them coming they are greatly appreciated. Further info re your questions I am fully mobile in my upper body but have little control and movement in the lower. I use an electric chair and a manual chair for mobility.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 674 Member
    In addition to getting a food scale and tracking calories to lose weight, there are workouts you can do to become more fit. I'm also disabled and used to work with the Phamaly Theatre Company (phamaly=physically handicapped actors and musical artists league). We would often do group exercise with either wheelchair aerobics or yoga. A paraplegic friend got her yoga teaching certification, and she brought fellow teachers in to work with all the individual bodies since the group has an array of different disabilities. The old PBS program Sit and Be Fit was geared toward people with movement limitations.

For the yoga, you'll probably have to make a fair few phonecalls to find accommodating or adventurous teachers, but you could probably find a chair workout video on youtube and start today! Just make sure to be gentle with yourself. A little bit every day is better than burning out.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Have a look on www.sparkpeople.com. In the lifestyle section, they have a whole section dedicated to people with disability and mobility impairment. There are some great exercises on there you could do x
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited May 2015
    (sorry my search results for "Chair Workout" keeps showing up as a video that won't play. GO MFP)

Youtube is a goldmine nowadays. This should get you started. What others have said is true, weight loss happens in the kitchen - BUT fitness happens in the chair :)
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Does it help to burn calories and build muscle? Yep. But it's not essential for weight loss.

What you'll need to do first is to determine a reasonable calorie deficit for yourself. I would suggest starting here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

It's a LOT to read but full of sound advice from very successful people in this community.

If you wish to exercise, I don't know what your limitations are, so I'm not qualified to comment. But I'm sure others or your doctor could help. Good luck!