burning calories

Options
Plz help me figure this out, i do cardio before i go too sleep, so do i continue too burn calories while sleeping?

Replies

• glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You burn calories all day long. Even if you stayed in your bed all day and didn't move, you would still burn some calories just from maintaining your bodily functions, like digestion, breathing, and pumping blood around your body.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above, then yes, but it will also depend on what level of cardio you did in terms of duration but more importantly intensity. You can raise your metanolic rate to create an afterburn effect which will assist in burning calories at a higher rate. You will need to look it up as to the actual impact and significance because views vary.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes you will but it is short term.. not as much as you hope it would be.. it is miniscule..
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You are always burning calories.

There may be a small amount of extra burn created following exercise (called after burn, or EPOC), but this is thought to be higher after anaerobic exercise rather than aerobic (commonly referred to as cardio).

Edited to clarify.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Yes you will but it is short term.. not as much as you hope it would be.. it is miniscule..
    How much is miniscule?

• 999tigger
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP just go and do some research on EPOC/ Afterburn and then you can make your own mind up as to its significance.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what @KarenJanine meant, but I was under the impression that strength training creates a far greater after burn than cardio, sometimes increasing your metabolism for up to 24-48 hours afterwards.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A summary of some research on the topic on a more readable site than Dr. Kravitz's dated presence on the University of New Mexico site.

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/exercise-after-burn-0
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You are always burning calories.

There may be a small amount of extra burn created following exercise (called after burn, or EPOC), but this is thought to be higher after anaerobic exercise rather than cardio.
    Isnt anaerobic just the level of exertion and cardio a type of exercise, so they arent exclusive?

In a sense, if you are doing something anaerobic then you are specifically NOT in the "cardio" range. You have surpassed your body's ability to fuel the movement with oxygen/glucose and are using a different pathway to generate power.
  • brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone