The "Dad Bod"??!!

Options
Anyone else tired of hearing about this new "dad bod" craze? Personally, I think it makes zero sense to glorify and the whole reasoning behind it seems insecure and childish.

First, let me say that I can relate to the challenge of balancing fitness with work and parenting. It adds as much to your plate as a 2nd job. But that's why I disagree with putting the dad bod on the pedestal like it was achieved instead of given to them.

Being a male that stays in shape and has an interest in fitness does not mean we are all meatheads. Usually that same desire for self improvement, routine and discipline applies to other aspects of us and we're passionate about other areas in life as well.

I'm not saying having a dad bod is a bad thing. Again, I relate to how hard it is to balance work, family and your own personal goals. I just don't relate to glorifying a body type strictly on the basis of being out of shape and not having any desire for self-improvement.

/rant

Replies

• Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I take issue with it more because having a "Mom Bod" gets almost the exact opposite reaction. You hear all kinds of stories about how this female celebrity or that "got their figure back" just weeks after giving birth. Or criticism of the ones who don't.

I say, rock what you got and change if you want.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's these kinds of topics that led me to give up tv and popular media a decade ago. This site is the only place I have heard reference to it. The media creates this crap and creates a feeding frenzy of opinions which makes it even more popular. It's inane. :)

ETA: I totally get why you both would be annoyed.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Dad bod sucks because people widely embraced some college coed's perspective, which included heaping amount of insecurity. It's sad the focus isn't on that.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I take issue with it more because having a "Mom Bod" gets almost the exact opposite reaction. You hear all kinds of stories about how this female celebrity or that "got their figure back" just weeks after giving birth. Or criticism of the ones who don't.

I say, rock what you got and change if you want.

YUP to the power of 10
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Anyone else tired of hearing about this new "dad bod" craze? Personally, I think it makes zero sense to glorify and the whole reasoning behind it seems insecure and childish.

First, let me say that I can relate to the challenge of balancing fitness with work and parenting. It adds as much to your plate as a 2nd job. But that's why I disagree with putting the dad bod on the pedestal like it was achieved instead of given to them.

Being a male that stays in shape and has an interest in fitness does not mean we are all meatheads. Usually that same desire for self improvement, routine and discipline applies to other aspects of us and we're passionate about other areas in life as well.

I'm not saying having a dad bod is a bad thing. Again, I relate to how hard it is to balance work, family and your own personal goals. I just don't relate to glorifying a body type strictly on the basis of being out of shape and not having any desire for self-improvement.

/rant

I don't mind valuing different body shapes. The thing I do resent is the idea that if a normal, non-famous woman over say 32 works out (and has results), she's vain, pathetic, and neurotic - the flip side of what @Angel_Grove_ was saying. I've heard that from other women my age (who are not into working out).

I imagine men get something similar, though. Like wanting a fit body is super uptight and weird.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eh, I think it's much ado about nothing. A girl wrote a post about how she likes out of shape guys because she gets embarrassed in a bikini. She phrased it as if she was speaking for a lot of women. And the internet went mad.

I haven't heard one person in real life or on a non fitness site discuss this. Probably because the reality is that most adult men are not fit. Just like most women are not in shape. We're not exactly a nation of hardbodies (I'm in the U.S.) Saying that you're attracted to the physical norm in your culture is not exactly News At 11 material.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    It's basically a way to glorify apathy. Some insecure women and some lazy men have jumped on this bandwagon in order to make themselves feel better for having partners who don't make them feel more insecure and for not caring enough to improve their physiques.

Let me be clear...it's fine if you have a "dad bod" and it's fine if you don't have time/interest in improving it. But it is in no way preferable.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I just have to laugh that the mom bod has a total physical change during pregnancy and after birth plus breast feeding. That is how a mom bod happens. Dad bods happen from them not taking the time to exercise or eat right. I'm tired of hearing about it to. Come on, they didn't even have to give birth to get the "dad bod"! Good grief
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    To each their own, I've been around many years and seen many of these types of things.

Whatever body people are comfortable in is their business.

I do find it humorous that some people say they prefer a "real man" with a gut or what have you. As to say, if one is fit...one isn't "real".
    I just have to laugh that the mom bod has a total physical change during pregnancy and after birth plus breast feeding. That is how a mom bod happens. Dad bods happen from them not taking the time to exercise or eat right. I'm tired of hearing about it to. Come on, they didn't even have to give birth to get the "dad bod"! Good grief

You might want to think about what some men go through that might have changed their bodies. Its not as simple as what you state to generalize it in that manner. I didn't give birth to a baby, but I can guarantee you would think giving birth would be easy compared to my health problems & what I've had to deal with on a daily basis and what is in the future for me.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    To each their own, I've been around many years and seen many of these types of things.

I do find it humorous that some people say they prefer a "real man" with a gut or what have you. As to say, if one is fit...one isn't "real".

You might want to think about what some men go through that might have changed their bodies. Its not as simple as what you state to generalize it in that manner. I didn't give birth to a baby, but I can guarantee you would think giving birth would be easy compared to my health problems & what I've had to deal with on a daily basis and what is in the future for me.

Oh like, how as we get older we lose our testosterone, and slowly turn into old women?

That sucks. I opted out of that, go go magic watson.

I'm sorry for whatever it is you're dealing with.

Pregnancy sounds terrifying to me, though. Organs get shifted around and the body is often actually (actually!) torn apart.
  • Megeffer
    Megeffer Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm going to chime in here just as a side note. I'm not attracted to overly muscular men, or overly slender men. The "dad bod" tends to be my type (always has been). It's not necessarily every woman's perspective, but it's mine.
  • roxiie89
    roxiie89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What the hell is the dad bod
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    roxiie89 wrote: »
    What the hell is the dad bod

A dad with a bit of a belly
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This whole "dad bod" thing is great, because it spawned this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQlIPOTbuH8
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    This just made my day
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Dating a dad bod "win by default"... the video also made my dad..

And the "beer shot gun"... LOL
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think the "dad bod" thing is kind of a joke. BUT I've known plenty of women who like overweight men. I prefer men who are between 6'2-6'5 (I'm 5'2). There is no rhyme or reason to why some people like certain body types.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Hi chieflrg,

I'm sorry you're going through some health issues. I re-read my statement and think it's correct for some, but realize it could be insensitive to some. I was going by my own experiences of mom bods and dad bods and wasn't thinking of any dad bods because of health issues. I'm sure that would be challenging with children. Did not mean to offend.
    Much love
    ✌️
  • sterling_briggs93
    sterling_briggs93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dad bod checking in
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    That video was hilarious! There was some truth to it though. Women don't have calendars of men with "dad bods" around their house. They just are probably out of shape themselves and would feel insecure around a partner who wasn't. Sort of like how some average guys are intimidated by attractive tall blondes.