Artic Zero

Options
2»

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've been eating this stuff for years, although I have not had the opportunity to try their newer flavors such as the salted caramel or chunky pints since the stores near me seem to never have them available :c However, I tried the "new" cookie shake one, and was surprised that it was the same exact thing as their old cookies & cream flavor - the recipe didn't change at all like the pint made me think it had.
    That being said, I do enjoy these pints very much. In order of preference: Cookies & Cream (or cookie shake), Coffee, Vanilla Maple, and then a tie between their Chocolate/Mint/Peanut Butter and Strawberry.
    Do they taste as good as real ice cream? Of course not!
    But they're 150 calories per pint, so what do you honestly expect? I eat these things for the sake of feeling good about being able to still binge on something cold without wrecking my diary for the day, and these sure do the trick. The only thing that really bothers me is their price.
    I've also discovered something wonderful: you can make your own "frozen dessert" very similar to Arctic Zero's by blending your own protein powder into a smoothie and then freezing it. I'm still working out how to make it soft (it gets super hard and needs to be microwaved before eating), but every attempt is closer to the real thing! There's tons of recipes online for protein ice creams using protein powder and other things (such as yogurt), I have yet to try these though!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My husband and I bought it once, each took a spoonful and tossed it in the garbage. I guess some people actually enjoy it, but in my opinion, I'd rather have a normal portion of something that actually tastes good.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to like it seeing as it's really low-cal but after one spoonful, I just couldn't. It tastes like chocolate flavored slushy water
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I've been eating this stuff for years, although I have not had the opportunity to try their newer flavors such as the salted caramel or chunky pints since the stores near me seem to never have them available :c However, I tried the "new" cookie shake one, and was surprised that it was the same exact thing as their old cookies & cream flavor - the recipe didn't change at all like the pint made me think it had.
    That being said, I do enjoy these pints very much. In order of preference: Cookies & Cream (or cookie shake), Coffee, Vanilla Maple, and then a tie between their Chocolate/Mint/Peanut Butter and Strawberry.
    But they're 150 calories per pint, so what do you honestly expect? I eat these things for the sake of feeling good about being able to still binge on something cold without wrecking my diary for the day, and these sure do the trick. The only thing that really bothers me is their price.
    I've also discovered something wonderful: you can make your own "frozen dessert" very similar to Arctic Zero's by blending your own protein powder into a smoothie and then freezing it. I'm still working out how to make it soft (it gets super hard and needs to be microwaved before eating), but every attempt is closer to the real thing! There's tons of recipes online for protein ice creams using protein powder and other things (such as yogurt), I have yet to try these though!

Have you tried making protein fluff? You can't freeze it but it's usually pretty easy and fast to make each time so not a big deal.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Have you tried making protein fluff? You can't freeze it but it's usually pretty easy and fast to make each time so not a big deal.

Thanks, I actually have not tried this yet, but looking it up online I most definitely will now! Thanks!! :)
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I remember there was some controversy over the calorie count a few years ago. Here is a write up about it...

Arctic Zero Faces Consumer Fraud Class Action over Calorie Counts on Frozen Deserts
    September 20 2012

Arctic Zero Faces Consumer Fraud Class Action over Calorie Counts on Frozen DesertsLos Angeles, CA: A consumer fraud class action lawsuit has been filed against Arctic Zero claiming its frozen desserts have 46% to 68% more calories than advertised.

The lawsuit, entitled Brenda Freeman v. Arctic Zero, Inc., Case No. 12-cv-2279 L BGS, US District, Southern District of California, alleges the company deceptively labels and markets its frozen treats as having only “150 calories per pint.” However, the frozen desserts contain up to 68% more calories than advertised based on findings from recent independent laboratory tests performed by EMSL Analytical, Inc. The deserts include Arctic Zero Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple which has 46% more calories than the 150 calories prominently advertised on the front of the product packaging as well as on its nutritional label, the class action lawsuit states.

The Arctic Zero class action lawsuits are seeking to represent a proposed class of all U.S. persons who, since 2009, purchased any Arctic Zero frozen desserts advertised as containing 150 calories per pint or less. They’re seeking damages and restitution for Class Members as well as an injunction barring Arctic Zero from continuing to falsely advertise the calorie content of their products. Plaintiffs are respresented by Bursor & Fisher, P.A.

Found: http://www.bigclassaction.com/lawsuit/brenda-freeman-v-arctic-zero-inc-arctic-zero-frozen.php
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I have never had issues with binge eating or even "volume" eating as some people like to call it, so I really can't relate to the concept of wanting to eat an entire pint of something that tastes terrible, or even average (to be generous since you seem not to be bothered by the taste) compared to eating a single serving of something really good. I do think though that learning how to be satisfied with smaller portions and eating the things you like in moderation is an important step for many of the folks on here who have struggled with binge eating issues in the past.

Good luck with your quest for frozen protein desserts - I think I have heard decent things about Halo Top ice cream, which has higher protein in it, but I haven't tried it myself.

• bumblebeecone
    bumblebeecone Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I Love the stuff also. I am not fond od the cake batter one bit chocolate,chocolate cherry, and cookie milk shake
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I much prefer Halo Top to Arctic Zero. Especially the mint chip and salted caramel flavors.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Chiming in to say that I think Arctic Zero is absolutely disgusting and Halo Top, while not as good as "regular" ice cream, is pretty tasty.

I couldn't even manage to make a decent smoothie out of the Arctic Zero with a banana and ice. It just turned into foam with a nasty aftertaste. Sick.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I like it. I doctor it up a bit with cocoa powder but for 150 calories I'm fine by it.