Rooibos Tea ~ Healthful Benefits

Options
Go_Silly
Go_Silly Posts: 8 Member
For those looking for a HEALTHY Tea that contains no caffeine and has no calories, sodium or anything else but true healthy benefits.......google Rooibos Tea and read all about it.

We use it alot as a normal ice tea or beverage alternative and don't have to worry about the caffeine or calorie intake. Some juices are high in calories (Apple juice) and some have all the artificial sweetners (Cranberry, etc) that bother my husband, so after hearing about this and the benefits, we use this instead. You can purchase different flavors as well....such as vanilla, carmel, peach, berry, cinnamon, mango, etc, etc.. Loaded with Higher Antioxidants, Decaffeinated, Lower Tannin Amounts, it gives a sweet nutty flavor without the bitter aftertaste (like black tea).

Another good tea is the Honeybush Tea. It also has very healthful benefits and tastes quite similar to the Rooibos. After drinking these teas, you will never go back to a regular ice tea as they have such a smoother taste, easy to make, love the flavor alternatives and enjoy the benefits they provide for my health.

To make ~ I pour about 2-4 Tablespoons into a cup or so of water. Simmer on stove til it just begins to boil. Fill a large ice tea container (that has a spigot) with water. After tea has cooled a bit in pot, pour thru strainer (I use a coffee filter in my Bunn coffee maker and set on top of tea container) to seperate tea liquid from contents. Place tea container in refrigerator and you have cold and delicious ice tea whenever you want it! :)

Just wanted to share this information for all you tea lovers or for those that are looking for other beverage alternatives.

Enjoy!:drinker:

Replies

• mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    six years ago when i was pregnant with my son, i gave up tea and coffee as the smell made me sick. I started with herbal tea and fruit infusions then 4 years ago a friend came back from south Africa with some roibos tea. I have never gone back to normal tea. And now it is more popular, they do them in different flavours even my children drink it.
    It truely is amazing. I now easily drink my liquid allowance with no problems.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    never heard of it.
  • fabulousfebe
    fabulousfebe Posts: 204
    Options
    Thanks for the referral..will look it up!! :flowerforyou:
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    we have loads in the UK, if you can't find it i can mail you some.
  • Go_Silly
    Go_Silly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the offer! Currently, I've been purchasing mine thru a website that carries multiple teas and offers about everything flavor you can imagine. They also give me a discount on shipping if I purchase $50 worth at a time (which I do). Somtimes, if I don't know what to try, I get the "sampler pack" which lets you try 6 different kinds and if I like it, then I buy the big bags for use:smile:
  • TearsoftheMushroom
    Options
    Great post thanks! I am going off to the shops to buy some, I love tea!
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I first tried rooibos when visiting South Africa. It really is delicious and naturally sweet. It used to be kind of exotic and hard to find, but I now see it in most grocery stores called "red tea."
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have never tried rooibos tea - got some yesterday - and it is amazing, tastes so good. My son made it with milk & natvia for me, but next time I'll try it plain. I got the Nerada Fair Trade Organics Rooibos with vanilla - tastes so good and is obviously very good for you as well - woohoo!
  • darlakhelske
    Options
    I too really enjoy Rooibos tea! I drink it warm all the time. I had never thought of drinking it like ice tea! Thanks for posting this.
  • darlakhelske
    Options
    Where did you buy the Nerada Fair Trade Organics Rooibos with vanilla? That sounds good!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Where did you buy the Nerada Fair Trade Organics Rooibos with vanilla? That sounds good!
    Hi
    I bought it at Coles in Mandurah (Western Australia) Looking at this thread here are lots of flavours you can get, but I guess it depends where you live. Some buy online as well, which might be a good way to get it?

Might just go put the kettle on and have another one - plain this time just to see. Since I have started this road to getting healthy I have discovered I CAN drink hot drinks without milk & sugar - and enjoy them as well.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Rooibos - have steaming cup with me right now. I have it with a slice of lemon. Or you can make it with milk like regular tea, but for me lemon is the best.

I drink Tick Tock but am curious about other brands.

Also, when in South Africa I noticed that they make espresso from it and then use it in coffee drinks (lattes etc) - I have been trying to find somewhere in the UK that does that, but no luck so far.
  • supersourbubble
    Options
    starbucks sells "vanilla rooibos" tea, and also makes "vanilla rooibos tea lattes" yum!! :drinker:
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    Rooibos is the South African name, I come from South Africa and this it actually Afrikaans for Red bush tea ( Rooi=Red, Bos=Bush)as it's known in most other countries. I've found it in England and Australia without a problem. I grew up on it and it really is fantastic for you. And it tast's great! Really fresh and quite sweet for a tea.
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Rooibos for ages and this is one of the best ones out there:

http://www.thefunctionalbeverageco.com.au/CubeCart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=46