Help with preteen daughter

Options
she is built exactly like I was at that age, which is curvier than most girls her age and she is already very self-conscious of her size.

I know that one of the best things I can do is model good eating habits which I am trying to do. I am desperate to help her avoid a life like I have lived – overweight all my life. I have been "trying" to lose weight my entire adult life (but never reaching goal) – My eating habits are better now, but I feel I have ruined her because I did not introduce her to a variety of fruits and vegetables at an early age and now she basically refuses to try the healthier options that I present her with.

Has anyone been in this position that has successfully instilled healthy habits in their children of similar age?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    don't be self-deprecating - love yourself

don't every let her catch you talking bad about yourself

tell her how proud you are of being fit and strong

cook healthy nutritious meals if she doesn't eat it meh .. just keep putting it on her plate and not making a big deal

sit down mealtimes where you chat rather than focus on the food

that's it
  • jingerbird
    jingerbird Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I guess never making a big deal out of food.....eat it or don't. Never use chocolate/sweets as a reward for good behaviour and food should never equate to love. My mother used to say 'If you loved me, you would eat that food because I cooked it for you!'

I have struggled with food all my life but recently realised that its just food and I shouldn't attach emotions to anything I eat. But it's still a daily struggle.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't bring junk food into the house, even if you didn't start earlier it's never too late. Buy fruits,cut up veggies,nuts,skinny pop popcorn. When you want ice cream go out for a single scoop don't buy a gallon for the house, when you want chips buy a single serving bag don't bring a mega bag home... Not saying that you buy junk I'm just letting you know what works in my house.

When we do eat junk it's after school once a week, we go skating or some sort of physical activity then we go out for a single scoop.

Cook with her! Let her search the Internet for healthy versions of her favorite meals and you 2 can cook them together.

Do physical activities together, walk after dinner,go skating or swimming.

And finally You can do it, but at her age you both have to make small changes together.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @krizbee , I am a large woman who raised two regular-sized children. I had a mother who fussed over me and my sister's weight. My sister and I both struggle with our weight. I was determined to have a healthier approach to food and weight. A copy of the Canada Food Guide was posted on the fridge. I never tried to control food portions, and my children could eat as much as they wanted. There were always "good" choices around for them to nibble on, like fruits and veggies.

I suggest you learn to moderate your language both in your head and around your daughter. Trigger words I see in your post include ....trying....desperate...ruined....

The danger in trying to reform our children because of our own failures, is that they pick up all our hangups at the same time. I don't want your daughter set up for a pattern of desperation, assuming she is "ruined" because she is on the curvy side of normal.

Children are amazingly resilient and despite our best efforts to muck it up they figure things out anyways. Give yourself credit for the good things you have instilled in your daughter.

Children know when we are trying to reform them, and preteens will actively resist these attempts. It's part of the parent-child battle for control. So concede. Your daughter will be curvy. She won't always make the best food choices. She'll grow up and figure it out anyhow.

Continue to model good choices and a great attitude. Have good food choices ready and available. Might she be interested in learning how to cook in the kitchen? You might be able to slyly include healthier food choices by encouraging greater creativity in the kitchen. New physical activities depending on her interest might help too, like rugby or rock climbing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If he has an interest in it, have her assist with planning, shopping, prepping, cooking. Maybe she will find foods she likes to cook. Do some walking or other physical activity together if it suits her.
    If not, leave her a lone about food. Find other mother-daugher things to do. She needs the connection to you more than she needs to learn about food. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I was also the overweight kid. My mother never made an issue with my weight and always had a variety of snack around the house, including ones that others would deem junk, but at home she had control over what we were allowed to snack on.

My dad always made an issue of my weight, telling me how fat I was, would tell my mother she was fat even though she was 110 pounds, and used to yell at her for not making me lose weight. (I later figured out he just didn't like females he perceived as fat, so any female who did not have a certain "look" was fat).

Well, as the fat kid, I suffered for my dad making such a big issue of weight, and it carried into early adulthood with low self esteem and choosing people who could validate that I was a bad person due to my weight and other body flaws. It took years to get myself out of this mindset and to a place of more self esteem and to realize my weight is not who I am and has nothing to do with how I feel about myself. Happiness comes from within.

My advice is to just be a good example and do not make an issue at all regarding your daughter's weight, even if she goes through a spurt and starts to put on weight. Just have the type of foods in the house you deem acceptable, know that you do get control over what type of foods you allow your daughter (and other children) to eat while at home, when, etc. My mom would not often let us have a snack between meals because she wanted us to eat our meals, gave us fruit or veggies as snacks, and made sure our meals were well balanced.

You sound like a good mom. :)
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am going to stop focusing on food and just continue to make "good" foods available.

She does Karate which she likes but it had occurred to me that we need to take family walks and be more active in general.

She likes to cook and I think it is a great idea to get her more involved in that also!

I really appreciate your replies and suggestions - thank you so much!
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was one of those chunky pre-teens whose mother tried to control what I ate, so I was a sneaky eater. Chips, snack cakes, soda, candy bars... then graduated into pizza and fast food as a teenager. There were days I'd have dinner at a friend's house, then go home and have a second dinner. Mind you, there were a lot of other psychological factors at play there, but I know there was NOTHING my mother could have done. If I wanted to eat, I wanted to eat. I guess I should also note I was pretty active, too, so I can't imagine the size I would have been if I wasn't playing sports...

Just be supportive. Never belittle her because of her size and, if you can, explain how much you've struggled. My mother is teeny, so I was always really resentful when she'd talk to me about size and my bigger father was... well... part of the initial problem.

I'd suggest setting goals together... run a 5k, drop a size, etc, then reward yourselves accordingly. Or get matching FitBits and whoever has the most steps at the end of the week gets to choose where you go for dinner or the movie on a Saturday night. Don't make it YOU NEED TO BE LESS FAT or else she's going to get bigger. Just speaking from experience...
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My mother struggled with her weight my entire childhood. That being said, I've never had issues with being overweight (I use MFP just as a diary to keep track of things)...so here is my experience:

I *did* notice my mother's weight go up and down throughout the years. When I was little it didn't mean much, as I got older I tried to be more encouraging about it. She would go down 20, gain it back, lose 15, gain 10, etc, for a long time. But despite her own diet issues she never tried to force or change anything on my sister and me as far as our diets went. She cooked dinner every night, put a plate in front of us, and that was it. We didn't have any odd rules about clearing our plates, eating all our veggies, etc, BUT there was the idea that if you didn't like what she cooked, you were on your own for food haha. She wasn't about special treatment unless we were sick.

We had treats, sometimes. They were "out of reach" or off limits by the kids unless asked permission. So if I wanted ice cream at night, I had to ask, and then it was just a small dish. Ice cream was probably the only dessert thing in the house anyway, we never ate cookies and stuff. Once I was in middle school and older though it became more of MY choice as to whether or not I wanted those foods. But at that point I had already been raised to only have small amounts of sweets at night, and I just kind of stuck with it.

We both grew up playing sports and running around the neighborhood with the other kids. When kids are young I think it's best to encourage a lot of play and fun while doing small doses of nutritional advice. Your 6 year old doesn't need to know much about calories or carbs - but she can learn to have nutritious fruits and vegetables every day, and help you in the kitchen. I LOVED cooking with my mother, and to this day I thank her for all my kitchen knowledge. So does my boyfriend, hah!

Someone else said above and I agree, don't use food as reward or punishment. My mother didn't place any emphasis on food unless it was a special occasion. It was just, well, food!

For what it's worth, nowadays my mother is at a healthy weight. She finally started doing cardio in addition to dieting about 10 years ago now and stopped yo-yoing up and down. And she started jogging because of my sister, who encouraged her to do the couch to 5k program...so I guess it came full circle, kids ended up helping her out! Hah.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @krizbee , I am a large woman who raised two regular-sized children. I had a mother who fussed over me and my sister's weight. My sister and I both struggle with our weight. I was determined to have a healthier approach to food and weight. A copy of the Canada Food Guide was posted on the fridge. I never tried to control food portions, and my children could eat as much as they wanted. There were always "good" choices around for them to nibble on, like fruits and veggies.

I suggest you learn to moderate your language both in your head and around your daughter. Trigger words I see in your post include ....trying....desperate...ruined....

The danger in trying to reform our children because of our own failures, is that they pick up all our hangups at the same time. I don't want your daughter set up for a pattern of desperation, assuming she is "ruined" because she is on the curvy side of normal.

Children are amazingly resilient and despite our best efforts to muck it up they figure things out anyways. Give yourself credit for the good things you have instilled in your daughter.

Children know when we are trying to reform them, and preteens will actively resist these attempts. It's part of the parent-child battle for control. So concede. Your daughter will be curvy. She won't always make the best food choices. She'll grow up and figure it out anyhow.

Continue to model good choices and a great attitude. Have good food choices ready and available. Might she be interested in learning how to cook in the kitchen? You might be able to slyly include healthier food choices by encouraging greater creativity in the kitchen. New physical activities depending on her interest might help too, like rugby or rock climbing.

Such sage advice. I have 17, 16 & 13 yo girls. Each very different (shapes, attitudes, activities), and each healthier (mentally and physically) than I was at their ages. Seeing them finding their way & comfortable in their own skin kind of heals my own past in a way. I had no idea having teenagers would be healing. Total surprise. (I moved out at 15 the fighting w/ my mom was so bad.) I would say enjoy your preteen while you have her around and tell her what you admire about her. At this point, all you can do is model the best you can. I differ a little from a previous poster who said never talk negative about yourself. I am honest when I fall short of my intention, but I do it in a self-accepting way. They fall short of their intentions from time to time. If they didn't they wouldn't be reaching high enough. I want them to see it's not the end of the world when you fall short; rather its a really valuable experience. I don't try to seem perfect around them. The fallacy in that would be just too blindingly obvious. :s

• p_cisneros2
    p_cisneros2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a daughter of a mother who was always concerned about my weight. She confessed that she didn't want me to be humiliated by others. Although her comments to me were thought to not be humiliating they were. The best thing I think you can do is try going on a lifestyle change together. That is something my mom always did and it worked. We tried various diets. The one that finally worked for me was the south beach diet. Don't over do it though. I drank slim fast when I was 10 years old, and now studying to be a dietitian I realize that was a huge mistake on my mom. Teens are still growing and if they eat healthier and exercise they will stretch out. Never be so focused on her weight to her, because it can cause self esteem issues. I still have to tell my mom to not ask me how much I weigh and to join weight watchers with her.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    smr09012 wrote: »
    I was one of those chunky pre-teens whose mother tried to control what I ate, so I was a sneaky eater. Chips, snack cakes, soda, candy bars... then graduated into pizza and fast food as a teenager. There were days I'd have dinner at a friend's house, then go home and have a second dinner.

I was a sneaky eater too. Our next door neighbor made the best chocolate chip cookies in the world! :D

• smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    smr09012 wrote: »
    I was one of those chunky pre-teens whose mother tried to control what I ate, so I was a sneaky eater. Chips, snack cakes, soda, candy bars... then graduated into pizza and fast food as a teenager. There were days I'd have dinner at a friend's house, then go home and have a second dinner.

I was a sneaky eater too. Our next door neighbor made the best chocolate chip cookies in the world! :D

My best friend's mom always bought the big muffins from Costco.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Serve healthy foods. Model good behavior. Encourage her to play a sport she likes or go bike riding.

But don't get caught up in the idea that a) your daughter is destined to be overweight or b) that your daughter's life will be ruined if she does turn out to be overweight.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    At that age I was "chunky" too. Ate like food was going out of style. My parents would tease and call me the "human disposal". They weren't expecting what was to happen next. Then I grew 10" in a year. I'm now, at 36, 5'11. The only think you can do with kids at that age is to teach them portion size and provide healthy options and get more activity in (Family walks, pick up Bball games, etc)

Another thing you shouldn't do is stress too much about your weight around her. Growing up my Mom was always on a diet. ALWAYS. All of them. Still is to this day - but I think this time she's finally figured it out (she's doing MFP too). But never once put that stress on me.

I didn't start to put on weight after that time until my 30's when my metabolism caught up with me. I've never been heavy, at my heaviest I was a 26 BMI. But I was never a skinny person, I've always loved food. I still love food, eating big portions and not being that active, but I figured out if I want to be healthy I need to do things (like an adult) and deal with it.