Love the video! Says it all really!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    That Pizza roll up was pure talent!!!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    It's basically a way to glorify apathy. Some insecure women and some lazy men have jumped on this bandwagon in order to make themselves feel better for having partners who don't make them feel more insecure and for not caring enough to improve their physiques.

Let me be clear...it's fine if you have a "dad bod" and it's fine if you don't have time/interest in improving it. But it is in no way preferable.
    Someone hit the nail on the head...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If women truly are opting for men like that they must not mind that they will surely be a widow at some point in their lives.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If women truly are opting for men like that they must not mind that they will surely be a widow at some point in their lives.

In the US, the average husband is 2 years older than his wife. Coupled with the fact that men die, on average, 5 years sooner than their female counterparts, most married women will end up as widows, whether they mind it or not.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Huh, maybe that's the plan?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Some insecure women and some lazy men have jumped on this bandwagon in order to make themselves feel better for having partners who don't make them feel more insecure and for not caring enough to improve their physiques.

Vanity is insecurity too. But way to judge people.

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

In the US, the average husband is 2 years older than his wife. Coupled with the fact that men die, on average, 5 years sooner than their female counterparts, most married women will end up as widows, whether they mind it or not.

Yes, on average, most men have dad bods and are two years older than their wives. I am two years older than my wife, but I fully intend to be around.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Eh, I think it's much ado about nothing. A girl wrote a post about how she likes out of shape guys because she gets embarrassed in a bikini. She phrased it as if she was speaking for a lot of women. And the internet went mad.

I haven't heard one person in real life or on a non fitness site discuss this. Probably because the reality is that most adult men are not fit. Just like most women are not in shape. We're not exactly a nation of hardbodies (I'm in the U.S.) Saying that you're attracted to the physical norm in your culture is not exactly News At 11 material.

Pretty much this. And next week it'll be "this" bod or "that" bod and people will forget about dad bod and get their panties up in a bunch all over again. Rinse and repeat.

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    What's a dad bod? Skinny fat?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying having a dad bod is a bad thing. Again, I relate to how hard it is to balance work, family and your own personal goals. I just don't relate to glorifying a body type strictly on the basis of being out of shape and not having any desire for self-improvement.
    I had a great body at once time, got lazy, and received a "dad bod" as my reward.

Hated it.

Getting back into training has been the best thing for me as a early middle-aged guy. No thanks, I rather have my muscles and my strength. I am father of a pre-schooler.
  • Michael190lbs
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Shouldn't the real question be who would want to Marry someone for their body?? Maybe date when your young and dumb...lol
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't the real question be who would want to Marry someone for their body?? Maybe date when your young and dumb...lol

Absolutley!
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think it makes zero sense to glorify and the whole reasoning behind it seems insecure and childish.

When you read the article of the original post for "dad-bod", it's pretty clear the lady who wrote it has some huge insecurities. She basically said "I want to be the prettier one in the relationship, and a man with a dad-bod is non-threatening to my self esteem."

That's some screwed-up way of thinking.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I just have to laugh that the mom bod has a total physical change during pregnancy and after birth plus breast feeding. That is how a mom bod happens. Dad bods happen from them not taking the time to exercise or eat right. I'm tired of hearing about it to. Come on, they didn't even have to give birth to get the "dad bod"! Good grief

...but, but - getting out of shape was my way of sympathizing with my wife, this way by comparison she looks great!

Total BS, but this was my explanation while I was a fatty.
  • Michael190lbs
    Options
    How dare someone judge another when they haven't walked in their shoes.. Life is to short to start a conversation about someone elses body composition.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    That video is great!

The issue that I have with the dad bod is that beauty standards for women are strict as ever, while men's are getting more and more lax.
    Women are expected to be hairless wonders, while men get beards and man buns. It was already stated, but women are expected to get their pre-baby body back, while this whole dadbod trend is in. Mediocrity for men (man child) is totally becoming more widely accepted it seems. Masculinity studies anyone?

Don't get me wrong though...I'd jump on Seth Rogan just as fast as Dwayne Johnson.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Eh, I think it's much ado about nothing. A girl wrote a post about how she likes out of shape guys because she gets embarrassed in a bikini. She phrased it as if she was speaking for a lot of women. And the internet went mad.

I haven't heard one person in real life or on a non fitness site discuss this. Probably because the reality is that most adult men are not fit. Just like most women are not in shape. We're not exactly a nation of hardbodies (I'm in the U.S.) Saying that you're attracted to the physical norm in your culture is not exactly News At 11 material.

lol well put!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Whatever body people are comfortable in is their business.
    ^^^^
    this