OATS ! favourite way to Prep them ?

Options
2»

Replies

• xopit
    xopit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually make overnight oats, mix them with milk or fruit smoothies or water + honey + cinnamon.
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    LOVE this thread! 1. I'm making flour out of my oats and making pancakes with them - genius!! 2. I am going to try in my rice cooker! Both great ideas! Thank you! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love my oats. I claim them as part of my Scottish heritage.
    • 1/3 cup oats with one cup water, a tablespoon of currants, microwaved for three minutes (I keep an eye on it) and top with Greek yogurt.
    • 1/4 cup steel-cut oats with one cup water, a tablespoon of currants (on a currant kick right now), bring to a boil then put on low for twenty minutes. I also have this with yogurt.
    • Refrigerator oats; 1/2 cup oats with regular yogurt and frozen fruit in a mason jar. I often add a teaspoon of chia seeds.
    • Oat flour, pumpkin, protein powder and spices for an awesome protein pancake.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Crumbled bacon and maple syrup.

Oooooh yeeeeeees
    I will have to try this over the weekend.

I prefer the steel cut oats over rolled, though I eat both pretty frequently. There is something about the consistency of instant/quick oats that I just can't learn to love, though...

I usually cook with 75% water and 25% whole milk
    Favorite toppings:
    1 tbs maple syrup, 1/4 c frozen wild blueberries, 1 tbs hemp seeds or sliced almonds
    1 tbs natural peanut butter, 1 tbs strawberry preserves
    1 tbs honey, 2 tbs/1 oz chopped pistachios, drop of rosewater if I have it (tastes like baklava!)
  • audreykts
    audreykts Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've recently been making this recipe:
    http://ohsheglows.com/2014/09/09/raspberry-chia-seed-jam-oat-crumble-squares-vegan-gluten-free/

I cut the coconut oil down to 1/4 cup and get 9 squares total at the end. It is about 300 calories per square. Just bake on the weekend and you have breakfast for the rest of the week!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Butter and salt. Steel cut or old fashioned.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Since the weather has gotten so much warmer, I'm loving overnight oats right now. In the winter I take the time to cook them low and slow with milk.