How do you stick with it?

Options
I'm having trouble staying on course. I WANT to be healthier, I WANT to lose weight, I WANT to feel better. I love how I feel after I work out. I just don't want to work out. I don't want to eat a salad. I need to change my mindset, but I don't know how. How do you stay motivated?

Replies

• NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Take it 1 day at a time. You do not have to eat salads but you have to make good choices and watch your servings. I am on a 78 day streak and somedays are hard but just take it slow and keep pushing. You can do it. Add me as a friend if you want. Having friends who are active everyday can really help.
  • jessieandcharlotte78
    jessieandcharlotte78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that it's like building a house. Excavation work comes first, then foundation, then the frame and so forth. My "excavation work" was being tired of being tired! The foundation was finding out what worked for me in food and exercise. Important thing to remember, if you have a bad day, its OK!! The thing that kills you is five or six bad days in a row. I have lost 60+ lbs, and STILL DREAD WORKING OUT! I look at is a my duty, so that makes it easier. But I have diabetes so it is kinda my duty to my kids and wife! And you don't have to eat salad all day. How nutrition wise are you, if you don't mind me asking?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat a salad, don't eat a salad. The best way to stick with it is to stop thinking of individual foods as good or bad. Just eat a nice variety of the foods you like and accurately weigh and log each day. Some days you will go over, and that's okay, just do better tomorrow. As you go, you will start to learn what types of foods keep you full and which ones aren't worth the calories. If you are feeling adventurous, try to keep an eye on your protein and fat to make sure you are getting enough, as this will help with satiety, but if that's too confusing don't worry about it for now. Read the "Sexypants" stickie post in the Getting Started forum.

And remember this is a life-long process, one meal or one day will not make or break it for you. The only way you can fail is if you quit trying. Good luck :drinker:
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    small daily changes, and doing a lot of reading about nutrition, fat loss, and muscle gains keeps me focused and motivated.
    But at first it was small changes...whatever that may be. Start with nutritional changes, then as you become more motivated begin the fitness changes. Sometimes thinking about it all at once is overwhelming.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, thank you so much for your advice! You're right, I need to take it 1 day at a time. I've done MFP before and lost about 30 lbs. I felt AMAZING. It was also at a time in my personal life that was hard and I used the gym as an escape. Now I'm divorced and share custody of my children...it just makes it more difficult to get a workout in some days. But not impossible if I just put my mind to it and make the time.

To answer your question, I think that I'm fairly nutrition wise. I KNOW what's good for me, I know what's bad for me. It's just making the right choices that is a challenge. Food prep and planning ahead isn't a strong suit of mine. Quick and convenient is what I prefer, but those choices are usually terrible for you.

I need to go back a couple of years to my food diary and see what I used to eat and get some ideas from other people's diaries. I need variety, I get bored eating the same thing all the time where it starts to taste gross to me.

I will check out the Sexypants stickie for sure...thank for letting me know about it! I appreciate ALL of your help! Good luck to you all as well! :smile:
  • kgillis87
    kgillis87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I LOVE reading the success stories posted to MFP. Nothing more motivating than seeing someone's 100+ lb weight loss story to make you think "Yep. I'm gonna do the thing." And, remember to always be gentle with yourself! No one ever had fun doing something they hated, so love yourself for everything you do! Under your calorie goal for the day? Great! Love yourself! Blew the calorie budget on a McFlurry because you just had to have it and cracked? Great! Love yourself! You did the thing that was most loving for yourself when you needed it most :) It's easy to feel good when we're "being good" but it's hard to feel good when we're "being bad" - unfortunately that's when we need the most love, and the least likely time we're going to give it to ourselves, so if you are feeling bad, and that ice cream (or whatever) is the way you're going to show yourself some love in the moment, do it, congratulate yourself for being nice to yourself, and then get back on the long-term plan when that feels loving and welcoming again. (sorry for the world's longest run-on sentence... but you get the gist I hope!)
  • namarc0
    namarc0 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I fight with myself every time I work out. I always feel great afterwards, but I need a little extra kick to get me going. I find vocalizing my intentions keeps me accountable. Telling someone I'm going to work out makes me less likely to flake out later. Also, keep your meals interesting and you won't get as bored. Last, but not least, having a decent support system is immeasurable. The peeps on MFP are out of this world when it comes to keeping me inspired and accountable.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    You could try setting smaller goals for yourself. You don't have to eat salads if you don't like them, just eat less and try to be active doing things that you actually like. Don't get ahead of yourself, take it one day at a time :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I don't want to eat salad all the time, but what I do is make sure I have great meals already cooked and portioned in my freezer and have ingredients for super simple meals to throw together in 10-15 minutes. It's how I've maintained my healthy eating for 8 years. Just about every meal below is between 200-300 calories.

TURKEY PUMPKIN CHILI
    1479004_10152054993568150_1982282874_n.jpg?oh=05436cc4784d932dcc37d416ef212379&oe=55CC8B64

CHICKEN BURRITOS
    545461_10151503876398150_1739779837_n.jpg?oh=a439bd82e0d06fc6b55b6312c33ba860&oe=55C28871

ZOODLES WITH BOLOGNESE
    1512346_10152323359158150_6251574643061456592_n.jpg?oh=5718755827f4e15e69a68ae3ad51e9fd&oe=55D73E03

STEWED CHICKEN/GRITS
    1549503_10153018680968150_599600939371142775_n.jpg?oh=1bfdf155daad6f5b693b7aad9097f630&oe=560BA0C8

or I make quick meals like
    FLATBREAD PIZZA
    10410771_10153003048578150_8281266129450755421_n.jpg?oh=2a7f0a4161c64a40822bf1c18d44bed2&oe=55C0ED7E

BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER
    1920100_10152988460058150_7080441337371060615_n.jpg?oh=8496b5cffce8e4a14c240f916cd9e75b&oe=55CBEB25

FISH TACOS
    1515020_10152056562783150_500367933_n.jpg?oh=366dd61f1287560cb0708e8e7c6b9cb6&oe=55C42B00

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Don't eat salad so much and find an activity you enjoy. Exercise should be fun. If it's not, find something else that is. Food should be nutritious, but also enjoyable. Tweak your diet until it allows for weight loss while using foods that you will enjoy eating once you reach goal.

One of the most common reason for regaining weight is making dieting and exercise a chore.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    today, i have eaten 2 donuts and 4 pieces of pizza.

but you know what? i consider that as "sticking with it." I have no outlawed or have any forbidden foods. Some days I will be over my calorie goal, but most days i won't. I have been doing this for about 3 years. it was the first few months - year that I had to make a conscious effort to stick with it. After that, it is kind of ingrained in my life. I still have to make smart choices.

But a day of donuts and pizza fit in every once in a while.

As far as exercise - i agree with those who say find something that you like to do. It doesn't have to even be at the gym, if you like riding a bike or walking or whatever.
  • faithfulheathergirl
    faithfulheathergirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Then stop working out and eating salads. Have steak and vegetables and potatoes and go for a walk instead!
  • cherellebundziak
    cherellebundziak Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request :smile:
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Man, I want fish tacos now! Those look great!

I stay motivated b/c I love the way I look and feel. I lost 10/15 lbs over a year ago and enjoy being fit at 41. I don't eliminate anything from my diet. I love to eat and I love beer and wine. I just find a way to fit everything in within reason.

Find an exercise you enjoy. What worked for me was doing a variety of Jillian's DVDs. I am currently doing Body Revolution and love it. Its only 30 minutes but really gives you a good workout quick.

You can do it! Good luck!!
  • Blazinthesky
    Blazinthesky Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bottom line.. how bad do you want it...you are capable of great things. Invest in yourself. Do research, find a way by all means necessary. Learn what the value of foods you eat. You maintenance calories. Go from there. It's a journey you have to experience for yourself, only you will know what works for you, if it doesn't find something that does. Learn,grow and move forward... :)
  • PersistentPresence
    PersistentPresence Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I feel like you are speaking from inside my mind! Its good to know that there are other people out there struggling with the same "issues." I like all the advice thats been given here.
    I have lost and gained over the past couple years. I lose when I hold myself accountable and PLAN PLAN PLAN. I gain when i get tired of what I'm eating, i get "too busy" to plan, and i allow myself to give up.
    Finding a workout that doesn't feel like a workout has been huge for me. I finally WANT to "work out" which is incredible for me considering i never thought it was possible.
    When it comes to eating, what helps me is to plan and follow through. plan and follow through. I also allow myself choices. I make sure that i have several snacks available that i can eat at any given time. That way i don't feel like i have to wait or cook, or eat something I'm not interested in. If i go over my calorie goal, it gets harder not to give up and give in to temptation. Distractions help a lot with that. Especially at night (I'm one of those night time eaters). Water helps too. LOTS and LOTS of water. Having cheat days is also important for me. I need to know there will be a day where i don't have to count or worry and i can eat a whole pie if i want to.
    MFP has been a life saver for me - on more than one occasion. Logging is my sure fire way to losing. I have to do it every day though (except cheat day!) and it does take time. In the end, i think the question is always - is it worth it to you?
    Its not easy, no. But is it truly worth it?
    When I "try" to watch what i eat, I fail miserably. When i don't try at all its even worse. When I just DO IT, things start changing and it starts to feel really good.
    Find out what you want, what works for you, whats motivating you to stay on track, and stick with it!
    YOU CAN DO IT!!
    Also, feel free to add me. We can support each other along the way!