Weight won't come off

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Using the app and most days consume less calories than needed. Eating a lot of salads and when I'm home whatever my mom cooks just not a lot of it. Guessing portion sizes when I add it in on the app and I think I'm getting it close to right. Don't eat much sugars/drinks. Maybe one a week. Drink usually 8 cups of water a day. Doc has me on armorthyroid for hypothyroidism.

Trust me, you're not. Get a food scale, weigh your portions, and be accurate.

How much are you logging for exercise calories? Are you eating those calories back or not?

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I'm going to add that if you're eating a salad every day and cutting a lot of stuff out of your diet, be careful with that. That's how a lot of people get burned out too soon and give up.
  • aprilp1975
    aprilp1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your body has gotten used to the exercise you are doing. Try switching it up some.
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @joejward95 - there are three body types: ecto- mezzo- and endomorph, the ''big bone'' ones are usually endomorhps (pear shaped) who struggle the most in terms of weight loss. Therefore, I do agree that for carolinagirl72 there is no room for 'guessing game' in terms of calorie intake.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @arachnofobia7
    At her weight, the weight of your skeleton isnt going to affect your progress , its such a small % of your overall mass. She is 5'4 200lbs, im gonna guess most of that is fat not bone... the skeletons weight is irrelevant right now. Maybe if you've got 5lbs or so to lose it might be a little harder, but when you've got 70 lbs too lose not so much...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    @joejward95 - there are three body types: ecto- mezzo- and endomorph, the ''big bone'' ones are usually endomorhps (pear shaped) who struggle the most in terms of weight loss. Therefore, I do agree that for carolinagirl72 there is no room for 'guessing game' in terms of calorie intake.

I'm sorry to say but that's rubbish. This system was devised in the 1940s by a psychologist who was not looking at weight loss or sportiness but at character traits such as temperament. So please don't mention it anymore.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    aprilp1975 wrote: »
    Your body has gotten used to the exercise you are doing. Try switching it up some.

Unlikely.

No.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'll ask again, since it seems like it got ignored:

How long has it been since you've been 'stuck'?
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @yirara - fair enough, does it mean that we are all the same in terms of ''body frame''? I understand that it doesn't matter when you are obese but if you are trying to get rid of 10pounds it might be a factor. I'd be the perfect match for the ''endomorph'' definition. I've never been obese nor slim, rather active ( running, swimming, dog walking, biking) no smoking or alcohol drinking, low carb, low fat, home cooking focusing on nutritional value food and yet struggling to shift any significant amount of fat that sits mainly on my lower part of body...and yes, I do count calories, my tdee is 1700 so I try to stick to 1300 along with at least 500kcal daily activity
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Your skelleton shape might influence at what weight you look good and at which too slim. But it doesn't influence whether you build muscles easily or have a wiry muscley apoearance or if you gain weight easily. If you look clisely most people combine pretty much all of those somatypes more or less. Hey, I have the slimmest wrists possible, but such wide pelvis that I should not lose more weight as it starts to look ridiculous and the lack of padding hurts. I build leg muscles easily while my arms appear wirey. And I have a lovely bumm. So, what now?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    @yirara - fair enough, does it mean that we are all the same in terms of ''body frame''? I understand that it doesn't matter when you are obese but if you are trying to get rid of 10pounds it might be a factor. I'd be the perfect match for the ''endomorph'' definition. I've never been obese nor slim, rather active ( running, swimming, dog walking, biking) no smoking or alcohol drinking, low carb, low fat, home cooking focusing on nutritional value food and yet struggling to shift any significant amount of fat that sits mainly on my lower part of body...and yes, I do count calories, my tdee is 1700 so I try to stick to 1300 along with at least 500kcal daily activity

Of course everyone has different body shapes, and we're genetically predisposed to carry fat in certain areas.

In terms of weight loss though, it means nothing. If you eat less than you burn, you lose weight. Period.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Rimfakse wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother measuring your big bonedness until you are at a normal BMI. People who are overweight have bigger bones. At a normal BMI, the relative size of your bones may have meaning, but not until then.

No...I am 130 Ibs and 5'7, I have legitimately big bones. Which means that my bones are wide, also broad shoulders and hips (and hourglass figure). But the weight of my bones was exactly the same when I was 20 Ibs heavier. Being obese/overweight/average/underweight doesn't influence the weight of your bones.
    Interesting. When people say their goal weight is at the upper end of their healthy
    range because they are big boned, I always assumed because of the physical appearance of their frame, they feel they look better with more fat covering their skeleton than a person with a small frame. But are they actually thinking "my bones weigh more than average so my goal weight should be on the high side"? I still see TFish's point, though, assessing "big bonedness" and relationship to goal weight is more meaningful once one is within a healthy weight range. And no one needs a reason to justify their own personal goal weight within that range anyway.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of human bones and I can honestly say that very few actually have "big bones" that they would notice. If you are over 5'7 and your wrist size is over 6.5" when measured, then you have larger bones than people typical of that height, but it's not going to add as much weight as you think. Maybe a couple of pounds more.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 years old and hypothyroid which makes my metabolism slower than normal.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

Hands down, the best weight-loss advice I ever received was to read the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • carolinagirl72390
    carolinagirl72390 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I'll ask again, since it seems like it got ignored:

How long has it been since you've been 'stuck'?
    I've went a month without losing anything, lost about 2 lbs, the. Lost a few here and there since but since last time probably 3 weeks.
  • carolinagirl72390
    Options
    When I said I was big boned I didn't mean that was a reason I couldn't lose weight. I meant it to mean that I'm never gonna be skinny. 150 on me would look better on me than 120 or 130. I don't want to measure or weigh food because for the simple fact that I'll get tired of doing that and quit all together. It's better for me to guess and eat decently and stick with it as do all that and get fulstrated. Plus I really don't have time for all that because I'm working and going to school and that just adds more stress which isn't good. I'm doing good to have time to excercise. And instead of when I go out to eat when I'm at work or school and getting burgers and fries I'm getting salads. I really eat out more than I do at home and when I put in the app the salad or whatever I got at a restaurant it has the exact calories. I do eat hamburgers ever once and awhile, maybe once or twice a month but I don't think that's bad. I'm not a big sweat eater so that isn't a problem either. A typical day for me is 180 calorie protein bar, salad from bojangles or zaxbys with grilled chicken, either another salad from somewhere or whatever mom cooks.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    You can't find time to throw some food on a scale? If your that busy maybe you should put the weight loss thing on hold.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing my food for three years. In that time I have also worked full time, taught night classes, cared for my home, car, and dog, maintained a relationship with a significant other, maintained many female friendships, read a couple hundred books, and knit several sweaters. I don't think weighing my food really prevented me from doing anything I wanted to do.
  • marivsanchez2402
    marivsanchez2402 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Maybe you can prep your food or snacks for school and work.
  • carolinagirl72390
    Options
    Yall are missing my point. If I do that I will get aggravated and burned out and quit. It might work for yall, that's great. But I know myself enough to know that it won't work for me. It's better for myself to not do that and eat a lil more than I think than try to do if for a couple weeks and quit all together