Theory: No Gym = Back at Square One..?

Options
Hey guys! Recently, I've been doing very well with keeping my calories in check and also working out 5xs per week. I've noticed that when I go to the gym, I feel slimmer immediately (although I know that is not the case! Lol)...however, I have been struggling with being nice to myself when I miss a gym date. For example, today, work is so hectic that I have to skip the gym (I normally go during my lunch breaks)...and I'm already (yeah, almost automatically) feeling like I've gained 10lbs...although I know I haven't!

Thankfully, I'm still motivated as ever to continue on my weight loss journey and know that 1 missed gym date doesn't REALLY mean I re-gained the 40lbs I've lost so far...but I have to tell myself this constantly because when I look in the mirror (after missing a date with the gym), it certainly feels looks like I did! What's up with that?? Anybody else ever go through that?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sorry, I am afraid I can't relate. Great job not letting it ruin your motivation but you need to be kinder to yourself and try to remind yourself:
    1. Weight loss is about the food you are eating, not how much exercise you are doing. Weight loss is made in the kitchen.
    2. If you miss a gym session, you simply get less to eat that day to keep your calorie deficit.
    3. It takes about 11 days for you lose conditioning so one missed day at the gym isn't going to affect your performance the next time. It might even make it better since you'll have had a little rest.
    4. You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight. Calories in vs. calories out for weight loss, exercise for fitness.
  • sweet_brownsugr
    sweet_brownsugr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much....I will continue to remind myself of all of those good things!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    While I agree with everything SueInAz said, I can totally relate. It's all in my head I know, I think it's a type of body dysmorphia. When I miss the gym I feel like I gained weight back until I look in the mirror and see nothing has changed.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    . . . Nope.
  • alibeec75
    alibeec75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, I feel the same. Even if it's just a 20 minute walk (that I wouldn't have done otherwise), I feel better about myself.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this in some ways. When I don't go to the gym I feel lethargic, slow and bloated all day. I also don't lose weight when I don't go to the gym. I know people say its 90% eating and 10% exercise but for me if I can't exercise I perversely eat whatever I want. Like, I've blown this day by not going to the gym so I'm having a fried oyster sandwich for lunch with sweet potato fries. I really did have that for lunch and I haven't been to the gym in a week due to an injury.
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back a month ago and re-aggravated it last weekend, so I haven't worked out at all. I'm still losing pounds because I maintain a healthy diet and a calorie deficit.
  • sweet_brownsugr
    Options
    While I agree with everything SueInAz said, I can totally relate. It's all in my head I know, I think it's a type of body dysmorphia. When I miss the gym I feel like I gained weight back until I look in the mirror and see nothing has changed.

Isn't it amazing what one missed day can make us feel?? Lol.
  • jocey517
    jocey517 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I totally understand and when I miss a day I am just not the same and totally beat myself up for it. For me too I've noticed I need the workout to help me handle the stresses better in my day - so if I miss a day I'm also more anxious and not as clear minded and focused. It's good to talk it out - and keep telling yourself that you're being irrational and tomorrow is a new day. You're definitely not alone;)
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    @sweet_brownsugr - I always feel slimmer when I'm at the gym! If I miss a couple days, then I feel like a gained back everything. Logically I know all that science stuff, but it doesn't change the conversation in my head.
  • sweet_brownsugr
    Options
    jocey517 wrote: »
    I totally understand and when I miss a day I am just not the same and totally beat myself up for it. For me too I've noticed I need the workout to help me handle the stresses better in my day - so if I miss a day I'm also more anxious and not as clear minded and focused. It's good to talk it out - and keep telling yourself that you're being irrational and tomorrow is a new day. You're definitely not alone;)

Thanks so much!!
  • sweet_brownsugr
    Options
    @sweet_brownsugr - I always feel slimmer when I'm at the gym! If I miss a couple days, then I feel like a gained back everything. Logically I know all that science stuff, but it doesn't change the conversation in my head.

Very true! Thankfully, it doesn't get me down to the point where I give up on the journey or get discouraged about continuing...I just find it annoying to feel like crap all day just from one skipped gym day!! Lol.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have also notice this, but I think it is also a case of when I have exercised I tend to stand taller and carry myself differently. So I DO look different than when I am depressed about missing and therefore slouching and dragging. Hope this helps a bit, Awesome that you have lost 40!
  • sweet_brownsugr
    Options
    sonybalony wrote: »
    I have also notice this, but I think it is also a case of when I have exercised I tend to stand taller and carry myself differently. So I DO look different than when I am depressed about missing and therefore slouching and dragging. Hope this helps a bit, Awesome that you have lost 40!

Wow - you are so right! That is probably exactly what it is!! Now that I think of it, when I am done at the gym, I do stand much straighter!

Thank you! I've got so much more to go but am so enjoying this journey! Go us - we can do it. :)