why am i so sensitive?

Options
I lost 28 lbs last year with a deficit at about 1700 calories.
I now eat 1200-1400 calories per day, and if i stay true to this, i do lose a pound every week/week and a half.
BUT if i go over by 200-400 calories one day, the next day my scale puts me a pound or two up and it takes me SO long to lose it, pretty much a full week. this has slowed down my progress WAY longer than it should have. i never had this issue when i lost the first 28lbs. i used to have frequent cheat days when i lost that weight.
anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Your deficit has become smaller and your body requires less calories without that extra 28 lbs. Which means going over (though it's not true weight gain) will make your deficit even smaller and even the slightest increase will replenish your glycogen. But it's all temporary.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    so basically don't go over at all, if i want to keep this going strong.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    peopletalk wrote: »

Going over by 100 - 200 calories in one day will not show up on the scale. 200 calories is about 0.06 pounds.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Going over by 100 - 200 calories in one day will not show up on the scale. 200 calories is about 0.06 pounds.

it honestly does. i think partially due to sodium intake or bloating, but it takes like a full week to get rid of it.
    like the title implies, i'm super sensitive when it comes to the scale it seems :(
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    You'd have to eat over your maintenance to actually see true weight gain.

The gains you are seeing are temporary glycogen replenishments and higher sodium and carbs, etc.

I'm just saying your deficit is smaller so going over will make your deficit smaller or make you stay closer to maintenance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear

Scale weight isn't linear

If you map over 6-8 weeks you can see your average loss but you cannot judge day by day

You do have to be more accurate with your calorie counting as you get closer to goal but should aim for half a pound a week

And don't sweat minor scale fluctuations they come and they go ...I'm personally up 4lbs on last week's weight due to exercise induced DOMS and my period being due

Please don't get overly obsessed

There are apps that give you a trend line ..like happyscale or libra

I use trendweight because it links to my fitbit

See? Fluctuations a-go-go

xbuogmihebci.jpg

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

it honestly does. i think partially due to sodium intake or bloating, but it takes like a full week to get rid of it.
    like the title implies, i'm super sensitive when it comes to the scale it seems :(

Because you have natural fluctuations in weight anyways...and the smaller you are, the more these fluctuations show up in general. When you go over and eat a little more, you're going to retain a bit more water to metabolize those calories...you're also going to top off some glycogen and you will have more inherent waste in your system. All of that shows up on the scale. The number on the scale isn't just fat.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

That may be but that's not because of calories. As you say, it might be due to sodium. Going over by 100 - 200 calories is nothing and it doesn't matter who you are. There are many other thing's involved including your ability, and people in general, to memory bank the negatives.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

If you eat excess sodium or carbs or a combo, it is completely normal to see a bit of a spike and it can take awhile for it to come off. But that's just water weight.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Because you have natural fluctuations in weight anyways...and the smaller you are, the more these fluctuations show up in general. When you go over and eat a little more, you're going to retain a bit more water to metabolize those calories...you're also going to top off some glycogen and you will have more inherent waste in your system. All of that shows up on the scale. The number on the scale isn't just fat.

SO true. Frustration being almost at goal, then EVERYTHING you eat just appears again - particularly if you eat too much or there is too much sodium, etc. I compensate by a little change up in cardio, drink more water and/or don't pig out too much (I pay dearly when I do). Love that...more inherent waste. Yep.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weight loss isn't linear

If you map over 6-8 weeks you can see your average loss but you cannot judge day by day

You do have to be more accurate with your calorie counting as you get closer to goal but should aim for half a pound a week

And don't sweat minor scale fluctuations they come and they go ...I'm personally up 4lbs on last week's weight due to exercise induced DOMS and my period being due

thank you for showing me this. this made me feel so much better. i am getting a little obsessed, and i'm starting to weigh myself like 2-4 times a day to see the fluctuations.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    thank you so much everyone for the replies. i was getting frustrated with these fluctuations but you're right, it's completely normal. i knew this. i think i just needed some sense talked back into me.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear

thank you for showing me this. this made me feel so much better. i am getting a little obsessed, and i'm starting to weigh myself like 2-4 times a day to see the fluctuations.

Don't weigh yourself more than once a day. Your weight changes so much throughout the day, it's ridiculous. You'll only drive yourself crazy.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Weight loss isn't linear

Don't weigh yourself more than once a day. Your weight changes so much throughout the day, it's ridiculous. You'll only drive yourself crazy.

i know, my friends keep telling me that. yeah starting tomorrow i'll only weigh myself once in the morning.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I tell you what, I was a diligent daily weigher when I realized it really was driving me nuts – even if I liked collecting the data and seeing how the fluctuations worked. If you're that bothered by the numbers right now, switch to a weekly weigh. I was skeptical at first, but it's made everything much easier somehow. I'm certainly not so obsessed with end results and focusing more on establishing and maintaining good habits.
  • sir_randall
    sir_randall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself weekly under the same conditions (first thing upon waking). Your weight fluctuates daily. I wouldn't put too much stock in it. I used to weigh daily and it was making me nuts. Up 2 lbs, down 4 lbs, down 1/2 lb, up 1 lb, down 2 lbs. Don't get caught up in that. Scale weight also does not account for your muscle mass changes.

Keep it up!
  • peopletalk
    Options
    just downloaded happy scale. so stoked to start using it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    just downloaded happy scale. so stoked to start using it.

:bigsmile:
  • brianazo
    brianazo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You *have to* weigh yourself in the morning after you've been to the bathroom and had your shower, or it's categorically invalid. That's what I was told, that's what I lived by when I lost my weight. A tall glass of water weighs about a pound.