Zumba

Options
I took a Zumba class at a health club I had free membership to for 3 weeks (that was great, but I can't afford that in my real life!). I LOVED it! Zumba is a cross between latin/salsa/mamba, jazz, and belly-dancing. It's very high energy and made me sweat!!!! :happy: Does anyone participate regularly in Zumba? Are there any DVD's for Zumba? I'll check the Internet, but thought I'd ask here too.

Replies

• Glammy
    Glammy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I took a Zumba class at a health club I had free membership to for 3 weeks (that was great, but I can't afford that in my real life!). I LOVED it! Zumba is a cross between latin/salsa/mamba, jazz, and belly-dancing. It's very high energy and made me sweat!!!! :happy: Does anyone participate regularly in Zumba? Are there any DVD's for Zumba? I'll check the Internet, but thought I'd ask here too.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    i do zumba 2 times a week... so much fun!!!!! I dont know about dvd's though I am sure there are some though....
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Yay Zumba!!

I am on a break from the class I go to right now & can't wait to get back ... LOVE it LOVE it!!

You can find the dvds on ebay for less than they sell them for on the Zumba website ...

Have fun!
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I took a Zumba class at a health club I had free membership to for 3 weeks (that was great, but I can't afford that in my real life!).

Healthclubs can be very expensive and take a huge chunk out of your monthly budget. While those healthclubs are excellent at what they do, you might want to check into your local YMCA; many YMCA's offer Zumba (as well as other great classes. My Y offers free Zumba, pilaties, bodysculpting, swim aerobics, yoga, etc and all is included in the cost of membership)Most YMCA's offer a "Membership for All" program that adjusts membership rates based on income. I work for the YMCA and I know that it is a pride of our Y that we can say "Nobody is ever turned away due to an inability to pay." Now, every Y is different, but most of these have this philosophy. Plus, since I am on my YMCA soapbox :blushing: I really enjoy working for an organization that is committed to building a strong mind and spirit, as well as body. At my Y, we try to become an addition to your family, not just a healthclub. Every Y is different, and some are still expensive, but most offer Membership for All as well as scholarships because our organization isn't about getting members $, it's about sharing our mission and activating america.

It's funny, I worked for a "healthy" organization for 5 years, but the whole time I was too busy to take care of myself! Now I'm making the time and taking advantage of it. During the past year I would have been hard pressed to say I had a healthy body! I have tried Zumba. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it still remains to be one of our most popular classes in our building.

:ohwell: Sorry for the YMCA rambling, I love the Y, but I also just wanted to encourage people not to overlook what could be a valuable resource and support in your goal for a healthy lifestyle, especially those who think that the more expensive clubs are out of their reach. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to attain a goal, knowing there are places that could help, but you can't afford to belong to.
  • zumba
    zumba Posts: 4
    Options
    Zumba is great!! I go 3-4x a week. Although, the holidays are slowing me down a bit. Bummer!! You might try zumba.com. If you put in your zip code it will give you class information in your area. Many local churches have zumba classes, as well. Enjoy!!
  • saryann79
    saryann79 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My local community center has a Zumba class twice a week. I haven't been yet, but have been meaning to check it out.