Slimming down before pregnancy?

Options
Hi Everyone!
I'm a 28 year old female. My height is 5'5 and I weigh137lbs. I would like to get down to 120lbs. I am planning on becoming pregnant at the end of the summer. Should I bother getting down to my goal weight during the summer? I know that I will put on weight during my pregnancy. Am I being lazy?

Replies

• ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    I think you should lose the weight, or at least be healthy, it'll make it easier to lose the weight after your pregnancy and make your pregnancy healthier than what it would be now. :)
    just my opinion, I'm not a mother or plan on being one soon, at least none until after college.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think choosing to live a healthier lifestyle is going to bring it's rewards prior-during and post pregnancy. The quicker you get into good habits the easier it will be to lose the baby fat :flowerforyou:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If you are a healthy weight before getting pregnant, it may be easier to get pregnant, to maintain a healthy weight gain, and to have the baby. But you also don't want to loose too much too fast, that can make it less likely to get pregnant.

I would make a goal right now to loose 1/2 to 1 lb a week and start logging with MFP. It'll help build habits of healthy eating and exercise (when your pregnant, you need a few more calories but also more nutrients, so it's better if you're used to eating healthy). Then, when you get pregnant you can change the goal to gaining 1/2 to 1 lb a week. That's my goal (I'm 20 weeks). It still is a decent way to track your progress.
  • syntheticcelebrity
    Options
    I think that it would be good, that way you know you can do it, so when it comes time to lose the baby weight you dont have a dought in your mind and you dont make excuses for yourself, also if you are working out now and you eat right your body will be used to doing the things like running or walking and you can do more while you are pregnant and you wont have that urge to binge or eat whatever comes in front of you I wish that someone would have told me not to eat everything I saw when I had my first boy and looking back now I would have ate better and I would have worked out before so that I would have been able to do more while I was pregnant and so I wouldnt of had so much to lose after and I wouldnt have as much loose skin as I do now, but yes if it were me I would get down to what you want now for motivation while you are pregnant. Good luck loosing and getting pregnant.
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I would continue staying active and eating well. Make sure to take your prenatal vitamins and plenty of folic acid. Your body can benefit from them now and they will be in your system when you do get pregnant.
  • brit1329
    brit1329 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    We are thinking about trying for a third sometime in the next year. My plan is to keep trying to lose weight and get into good shape before we actually try. My reasoning is if I'm already in good shape and on a good exercise program, I have even less damage to undo once the baby is born. You aren't supposed to start new exercise programs once you're pregnant, but can keep doing what you are already used to doing so I don't want to be stuck only doing minimal exercise for a whole 9 months.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Start taking your prenatals NOW! You want to build up your stores of Folic Acid, iron, calcium and vitamin D. Also, some research has shown that taking a vitamin for 3 months before TTC can significantly reduce the chance of miscarriage. I don't know how true it is, but I've read that on CNN health and figured it couldn't hurt, right??

Exercise! I wouldn't reduce calories too much. You are already a healthy weight and exercise will make your pregnancy symptoms easier to handle. :)

Hope this helps!!!!
  • Rena421
    Rena421 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I will do my best to eat healthy and exercise. Hopefully, I will lose some weight. I am going to be more vigilant with taking prenatal vitamins. I'm excited for a fun summer and getting pregnant after!!