Weighing yourself

Options
I weigh myself on carpet. What's everyone's opinions on this? I know your supposed to weigh yourself on a hard flat surface but if my weight is going down does it matter if I'm a few pounds heavy when weighing on a hard surface? So long as the weight is going in the right direction then that's good right?

I lost 3 pounds today but started googling about weighing yourself and every thing I read said that I was doing the worse thing ever! Made my loss seem false!

Replies

• licb5167
    licb5167 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I NEVER weigh on carpeting. I always put my scale on my kitchen floor where it's flat & firm.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    If you've always weighed yourself on carpet, the same carpet, the same area, then the loss today should be accurate. However, from here on out I'd use solid floor.
  • SparkyJess3
    SparkyJess3 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hard floor only! Make sure even too.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The carpet is much too uneven for accuracy and consistency. Use a hard floor to weigh on and try to do it in the same spot every time.
  • hhant
    hhant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I live in a shared house and the only hard floor is in the kitchen, and as I always weigh myself naked I didn't think my house mates would appreciate it! But I'll wear light weight pjs or something and see what happens!

And always in the same area of the carpet, my scales don't move :)
  • Reevoslady
    Reevoslady Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It really makes a huge difference for me, so I only weigh on hard flooring :)
  • snowiebuggie
    snowiebuggie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weight myself on my bathroom floor makes all the difference :)
  • phamtq
    phamtq Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    If you've always weighed yourself on carpet, the same carpet, the same area, then the loss today should be accurate. However, from here on out I'd use solid floor.

Basically, this. The amount lost is likely accurate.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you can't move the scale, you could always put your scale on a small piece of plywood, a cutting board, or a large piece of tile, depending on how big it is. My scale would fit on a 12x12 floor tile. At least the scale's floor contacts would be on a flat, even surface.
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do it on carpet but keep the scales in the same place, so the losses will be accurate
  • Rachel_Virginia_
    Rachel_Virginia_ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    hhant wrote: »
    I live in a shared house and the only hard floor is in the kitchen, and as I always weigh myself naked I didn't think my house mates would appreciate it! But I'll wear light weight pjs or something and see what happens!

And always in the same area of the carpet, my scales don't move :)

you don't have tile in the bathroom?
  • hhant
    hhant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, I live in a rented house. We have some weird carpet Lino stuff like you get in schools, but softer. Trust me I wouldn't chose this if I owned my house!
    Cornmuffin wrote: »
    If you can't move the scale, you could always put your scale on a small piece of plywood, a cutting board, or a large piece of tile, depending on how big it is. My scale would fit on a 12x12 floor tile. At least the scale's floor contacts would be on a flat, even surface.

Didn't think of this! B&Q this weekend!

• inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You should always weigh yourself on a level surface. Carpet isn’t a great place for your scale because it's not level and it can give you an inaccurate reading! Hard wood flooring, concrete, or level ceramic tile would be best to place the scale. The scale shows you weigh more on a carpet! Check this interesting explanation I found:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2462-people-weigh-less-on-a-hard-surface.html#.VVUuf1JHbCQ
  • meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My scale is on my tiled bathroom floor. I've always had the scale on a hard surface.