Advice on fitness for trekking?

Options
Hi :)
This summer I am going on a month's expedition that will involve four days climbing a mountain. I'll be carrying a 65-litre rucksack with all my stuff in it and would really appreciate any advice on how to improve strength & endurance.
I'm already trying to run as much as I can (although that is relatively recent - before about three weeks ago I was not very active at all...) but don't really know what else I can do.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start exercising with a full back pack that weighs the same.. I would exercise my legs squats, lunges, calf raises, and I would lift heavy things...

I am not sure when this month expedition is or how long you have to prepare for it.. That is the real question, do you have time to get into condition for this??? ;)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    That is a good start! Then build in hill running with fartlek bursts. When you are managing that start to carry a back pack with 1 litre of water in, add in a litre a week until you can't fit it in any more. You'll be fine as long as you keep pushing your fitness. Enjoy it, I'd love to do it :)
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Work on your core!!! a strong core and back will take you far!!! Enjoy your trip!!
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Get out and start hiking. Go without a pack and then start to slowly load a pack up to the amount you'll actually be carrying. Running and hiking are different things unless you're running up a lot of hills. You probably would have benefitted from starting training a couple months ago; but se la vis.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Your summer plans sound like fun!
    I would definitely recommend preparing by getting out there and taking some day hikes before the big trip. This would give you a chance to get accustomed to carrying a heavy pack, help prepare your legs for the steep uphills, and also maybe help to prepare you for the elevation changes and how that can affect you (sometimes people feel unwell when they reach higher elevation the first few times, but you can acclimatise yourself to it).
  • ALongWayAway
    ALongWayAway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have about two months. It's just those four days that are worrying me really - I'm in OK ish shape (I actually do day hike sfairly regularly) it's just about dialling it up to make it less of a shock to the system. Thank you for the tips!
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If your gym has one I highly recommend a VersaClimber. I used one prior to 30 days of High Alpine Survival Training it came in very handy. It works all the muscles needed for mountain climbing and then some. Of course you also need to get used to carrying your fully loaded rucksack. Load it up, go out on hikes, see how it feels loaded and adjust the straps and pads as needed. Even if you're in shape for the effort of mountain climbing with a 65 liter ruck, you'll never make it if it is not comfortable to wear the entire time.