Does it ever stop?!?!

Options
So when I started my weight loss journey 65 pounds ago I never really thought I was that big! I have noticed that my perception of myself when I was larger was so far from the truth. I never saw myself as how I really looked when I looked in the mirror I didnt see the real me, when I bought clothes the bigger sizes that I had to buy did not really register to me. When I took my before pictures i looked at them and thought that I was bigger but not like crazy obese. But now reality has kicked in! After losing 65 pounds I look at myself and I am not satisfied with what I see, and that is primarily because I am not at my goal weight yet. I feel like I was numb to reality when i was that big and did not want to face the fact and see the true me, what I had truly let myself get to. Now a switch has flipped in my head and I am totally opposite, now I am 65 pounds lighter and not satisfied. Dont get me wrong I am very happy and proud of myself for what I have been able to do and how far I have come; but I am wondering for those of you who are on maintenance does it ever change? Do you get to a place where you are actually satisfied?
Thanks!!!

Replies

• nomorefatbitch
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else of course, but no matter what I way, I will always see the fat person in the mirror. It makes me crazy, but it is the way it is :(
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Congrats on loosing 65lbs!! I wonder myself if I will become addicted to loosing weight. I can't seem myself not working out. I have to work it seems. I love seeing the muscle bulges in my thighs and the definition in my arms. Still waiting for the definition in my abs. LOL!

Now that the pool in the condo is open I am actually thinking of going swimming today. Such a warm and beautiful day.
  • meshellw
    meshellw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I too need to lose that much and hope this happens for me too. You look amazing and have done a fantastic job. You should be VERY proud... Its great to see the transformation ..
  • ginakelley
    ginakelley Posts: 33
    Options
    I am my own worse critic, so even if I am not having a "I feel fat day", I am having a "I hate my stretch marks/saggy boobs/loose skin/ etc" day... I wish I could look in the mirror or at a picture without criticizing everything about myself. I tried to take a pic with my cell the other night and send it to my husband and I took close to 40 pics and couldn't send a single one for some reason or another! I just need to get out of my head about it... I wish I could offer advice or tell you that once you reach your goal weight you will feel beautiful and happy every day from that day on, but that is not always the case. I hope you can!!! And I hope the same for every single person on this site!
  • mrsfeuer
    mrsfeuer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I took my 'before' pictures last week and I just didn't realize I was that big and gross. I often wonder the same thing when I get back down to a smaller size, will it be enough? Will I be happy?
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you that it works both ways. When I was 17 I weighed 98 lbs. Not necessarily on purpose, but I rode my bike 6+ miles per day (as a mode of transportation, not for exercise) and ate what I ate. I never looked in the mirror and saw myself as being "too skinny". Now I look back at pictures of me from then, and I can clearly see that I was gross skeletal.
    Four months ago I reached my all time high at 167 lbs. When I looked in the mirror I saw someone who was "slightly over weight". Again, when I look back at pictures I now see someone who was huge and gross.
    Now I'm at 133. I'm pretty happy here, but think I could lose a couple more pounds and could gain some muscle definition.
    I wonder what I'll see looking at pictures of me from now in the future?
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I can relate to everything that your saying. My issues stem all the way back to grade school.. I have always thought myself as fat or not good enough. Looking back, I realize that I was just trying so hard to fit in and be the super skinny popular girls. Well, that never happened because it just isn't me. At 43 I am finally realizing that I have to do this for me and only me and not worry about trying to look like someone else or even wish that I look like someone else. I have been where I have lost 45lbs and still didn't feel good enough. I am on a new path and looking to just become a healthier person and to be proud and secure in my own skin. It won't be easy, but I am going to try my hardest to learn to love me. You should be so proud of all that you have accomplished!!! Cheers to you!!!
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes I completely understand that! I know the stretch marks will always be there and I will not be happy with my breasts unless I have work done. But it just makes me wonder if I will ever be to the point where I can celebrate and say no I dont have the firmest body in the world but I am toned thin and I think I look good! That would be ideal but we shall see! I guess once I have reached my goal weight and can start working out again I will see where I am at! I had surgery last week and my doctor has not cleared me yet to workout and I have no idea how much longer but it is killing me that I cannot workout like I used to!
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    Trust your closest friends. The ones that will be honest with you. Ask them to let you know if you are getting too thin or you are not looking healthy. The feature that we see as ugly or too fat might not be the same feature that others see when they look at us. For me it is the "flat tire" around my waist. That was my target, but I started looking sickly (too much skin) before I could get rid of it.

Knowing how to control your weight is a strong tool and it has risks. Our nature makes us always want more more more!
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You look great in the profile picture! Just know there are others out there just like you sharing in the same insecurities but we must let it go in order to have a more fulfilled life!! Keep it up!!!
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Great question girl! You already know my story. But for everyone else, I've been in maintenance mode for almost a year.

Have I been satisifed? On most days the answer is yes. But I still have days where I have a mini downward spiral of negative thoughts about my body. I still don't realize I am as small as I am. Other people say stuff all the time and I just think they're being nice. What's weird tho is the difference b/t what I see in the mirror and how I see myself in pictures. In the mirror, I can pin point my flaws like a pro! But when I see pictures of myself, I think "Wow, that woman looks amazing!" Anybody else feel this way?

I still have goals, to get more toned and to have amazing abs. So, I'm not sure I can say I am completely satisified. I am satisifed with my weight, measurements (lol..except for my bust...oh well : ), and clothes sizes. But I have not yet reached my goal of getting toned. I guess we are just always evolving and will always have new goals. In a way I think it's good, but it is also important to be proud and satisfied with what you have achieved.

You WILL get to your goals!! You just might have some new ones when you do : ) Best of luck everyone!! :flowerforyou:
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    honestly, weight loss is only changing the physical... it does nothing for spiritual or mental.... the feelings that you are referring to start inside. after losing more than 100 lbs i am here to say that it never gets easier. we have to do just as much work on the inside.... when you finally get to the "goal" you will see that there is never a fully achieved goal... always something more to work on.... physical or otherwise.

be in the moment and live fully.... you have come a long way and this journey is about more than our reflection in the mirror or a size or weight.