What is a normal attitude to food?

Options
I have been using MFP since the start of 2011. I have lost over 40lbs and have a healthy BMI. My goal is 140lb which I am very close to and would give me a BMI of 21.5 as I am 5ft8.

My journey has been really successful so far, I weigh myself weekly and have only gained weight once after a business trip. I havent really fallen off the wagon exept durin the same business trip and have logged religiously.

I just want to check that the feelings I am having now are normal. I'm terrifies of gaining weight and scared I won't reach my goal even though I don't have far to go. I get anxious Qhwn people suggest or plan situations where I won't be in control of what I eat. I plan my meals upto a week in advance and get anxious if I think I can't stick to my food plan (like if I hav to work late).

I'm now a size UK 8/10 and have never been this slim before yet Im still desperate to reach my goal and feel guilty and in a bad mood if I don't work out about 6 times a week.

Basically I'm wondering what will happen when I reach my goal. I can't log calories forever I would also like to only work out a few times a week so I ambles anxious about fitting my work outs in and can enjoy other activities and not freak out when someone suggests going out for a meal once in a while.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Elaine x

Replies

• plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can relate to those feelings. I think I am now exercising at a level that is unsustainable for me long-term (5-6 days/week). Overall, I am happy with the way I look and feel, and I enjoy the feelings of being strong and fit, and I would like to stay that way. I think it's possible to do so, at 3-4 days/week of working out, which I believe I would be more likely to stick with long-term.

I think once you reach yoru goal, then slowly increase your calories so you are eating at maintenence level, you will get used to what a normal day of eating is like and won't be so obsessed with logging everything. Also, if you do splurge and have a meal out or something, that would be a good time to add in an extra workout in order to offset any potential gain from going over your normal calories. With time, I think you will find a healthy balance between letting your good habits go and obsessing. You do have to watch carefully in order to make progress, so it is hard to scale that back to "normal" living. Once you hit maintenance, make one small change at a time in order to get closer to realistic, long-term habits. You don't want your healthy habits to turn into an obsession which makes you feel grouchy and anxious if you can't stay within your restrictions. You need to find a balance that allows you to live your life within your healthy guidelines. Good luck!