Caution on food nutrition

Options
This is only my second actual day on the site, and I have to say I LOVE the food entry. I have yet to not find what I was looking for, but in saying that be cautious on the information that is given. When adding my food today I decided to substitute an NS dessert for a Fit & Active Cereal Bar. However the information on the cereal bar entry was incorrect. It said 0 carbs, when the box showed 19 carbs. I have no doubt this is just an oversight, but double check your items if you are able. And oh my....I'm finding NS food is loaded with carbs, so THANK YOU Fitness Pal for creating such a wonderful site!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The database is full of user submitted entries... so there's bound to be errors.

You can always correct it though. When you hit nutritional information on it, over on the side it asks if the information is correct. Hit "No" and change what's incorrect.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Yep, always double check because there are tons of errors in the database.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use my phone to input food. The little green shield means it has been verified so there is a better shot of it being closer to correct.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I always double check the calories and protein because that's what I am concerned about....
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love the new green shield!!
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I use my phone to input food. The little green shield means it has been verified so there is a better shot of it being closer to correct.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What are NS foods? Saw that in another post and asked but no one answered.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    NS = NutriSystem! I learned that this week, too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Ah ha! Thank you!!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Ah ha! Thank you!!

Argh, she beat me to it!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    j75j75 wrote: »

I have found several errors in the "verified" entries, though, as well. They seem to be more consistently correct but not all the time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So MFP is like the Wikipedia of food nutrition. I'm betting the developers are hoping the database fixes itself over time, through our (free) efforts to fix entries.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    j75j75 wrote: »

I have found several errors in the "verified" entries, though, as well. They seem to be more consistently correct but not all the time.

Sometimes there are different versions of the same foods. For example, when I get Perdue chicken (perfect portions), sometimes they're 140 calories and sometime they're 120 calories. Same exact packaging, just different nutritional information.
  • chukabird
    chukabird Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for the input. I will correct as I go along if necessary and sorry about the abbreviation. I've been talking with NS (nutrisystem) people only so long about the weight loss journey it never dawned on me to spell it out. Unfortunately they are taking down their blogs & discussion boards, but the bright side is I have found MFP. Thanks again.