Back exercises - Need Some Advice!

DirrtyH
DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a few months now and I'm starting to notice that if there's one body part that's weaker than the rest and could potentially limit my progress, it's my back.
Are there any not-very-strenuous back exercises I could do on off-days to help strengthen my back a little bit more?

Replies

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Not very - strenuous ......there are lots of excersises but if you don't tax the muscles you won't do much good other then bring alive what's already there
  • JoReddBowe
    JoReddBowe Posts: 25 Member
    Yes! Superwomen, bridges, back extensions, pretty much any row, trunk twists, and plenty more to stretch, too!
  • DirrtyH
    Not very - strenuous ......there are lots of excersises but if you don't tax the muscles you won't do much good other then bring alive what's already there

I guess what I mean by that is nothing that will interfere too much with my current program. I'm not looking for a full on "back day" routine, just a few things that can help strengthen my back so that I'm not stiff after lifting. I feel like my legs could do much heavier squats and deadlifts, but my back is holding me back as it were.

I could just google "back exercises" but there are a lot of knowledgable people here that might be able to give me more specific advice.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2015
    What part of the back?
    edit: I'm beginning the program and curious.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    I like back extensions, pull ups, seated cable row. I love doing a full back workout.
  • DirrtyH
    rileyes wrote: »
    What part of the back?
    edit: I'm beginning the program and curious.

Low and mid-back.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Back extensions for lower. Seated cable row or db row for middle.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    The deadlifts and rows you should be doing on 5x5 are designed to strengthen your back. If you want to get better at these lifts, the way you do that is to continue doing them. 5x5 really isn't designed to be done with accessory work.

Have you actually noticed that your progress is suffering? What makes you think your back is weak?
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Back extensions and good mornings with just the bar to start. Both helped my back tremendously!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Would more glute, hamstring and upper back activation help?
  • DirrtyH
    The deadlifts and rows you should be doing on 5x5 are designed to strengthen your back. If you want to get better at these lifts, the way you do that is to continue doing them. 5x5 really isn't designed to be done with accessory work.

Have you actually noticed that your progress is suffering? What makes you think your back is weak?

I guess I haven't seen a problem with progress yet, I just feel like I probably won't be adding weight to my squat tomorrow and if that's the case, it wouldn't be because of my legs or lower body at all, it would be because of my back. It just feels weak. And then it's felt kind of stiff since my workout yesterday. I might just be a little nervous due to a history of back pain.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    I think you'll notice that StrongLifts 5x5 is setup to get you past this feeling. I totally understand the back pain/injury issues. If you miss a rep or set 5x5 is self designed to allow you to continue. If you miss a rep or set on one exercise you simply repeat at that same weight the next time. Every muscle group and every persons genetics allows them to advance in different ways.

It sounds as if you are concerned that because you are not adding the next amount of weight on each and every exercise, each and every time. Because of that you feel something is weak. That is simply not the case. I've used 5x5 and it's variations most of my life.

Stick with the 5x5 program alone. Concentrate on maintaining form, which will reduce possible injury. Just as important are the off days which allow proper recovery for your body. You will be surprised at what you will be lifting and capable of in 3, 6, 9 or months from now as you progress.

Good Lifting and Good Luck!!!
  • d1664256
    d1664256 Posts: 18 Member
    I'm another vote for back extensions, with light-ish weight. Support your supporting muscles!
  • abenna
    abenna Posts: 14 Member

• abenna
    abenna wrote: »

• abenna
    Lift lighter or give your self more recovery time. If your hurting your over doing it. I've had my L4-L5 Fused. My dr said the worst mistake I can make is to is to bend over and touch the floor wo bending my knees. Also if it hurts cut rest and cut back to half then slowly build back up. ICE packs with a towel wrapped around it help reduce inflammation. Take it slow and bc you only have one back.
  • DirrtyH
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    It sounds as if you are concerned that because you are not adding the next amount of weight on each and every exercise, each and every time. Because of that you feel something is weak. That is simply not the case. I've used 5x5 and it's variations most of my life.

It's more that my back just genuinely feels weaker than my legs/lower body. But you guys are right - I'm overthinking it and I'll keep doing the program as it is. Although I am going to try to incorporate more yoga and stretching into my regular routine. I think that will help. I also had an amazing massage yesterday! Both of those things should help with my stiffness, and sticking with the program will strengthen my core.

Thanks everyone!