Any advice for gaining muscle weight?

Options
Hey guys! Not sure if I am posting this in the right place... but here goes nothing!

I am 23 years old (female), and I am 5'10. Summer 2013, I went from 140lbs to 155-160lbs. I gained weight due to a lot of stress going on in my life and ate a lot more than usual.

Around February 2014, I decided to use myfitnesspal and stuck with it. By May of 2014, I weighed back to my normal weight of being 140lbs. I then got hooked and decided to keep going, and decided to go to the gym with my boyfriend whenever I got the chance. By August, I lost another 8lbs and weighed 132lbs. In September 2014, I decided to join a gym with my own membership (boyfriend went back to school).

I now after a year, weight roughly from 123lbs-125lbs. I am aware, that someone my height, shouldn't be that weight (average weight for a girl my height is 127lbs-170lbs).

I work out 3 days a week. I do cardio anywhere from 10-25 minutes each time. Any weight lifting, are on the machines they offer at the gym. The ab machines I can do roughly 65lbs. And depending on the machines with legs or arms its usually 60lbs +. Always make a protein shake afterwards.

I do have muscles, but I am asking for advice when it comes to: wanting to make them more define? I am aware, that in order to gain muscle, you need to increase your calories intake & protein. When I started, myfitnesspal suggested me intaking 1,230 calories a day. Which I always met and/or even ate a little bit over (because who really doesn't have a cheat day or week?). I do not want to just start packing on weight rapidly without turning it into muscle. I changed my calories intake to now 1,460. And plan to keep increasing it slowly each month (doubling it by the 230 calories so next month 1,690). Currently I have my goals set as:

Carbs: 110g
Fat: 49g
Protein: 146g

Here is a picture of the year difference (the abs pic is recent, arms pic is from 2 months ago):

zw2d4pvflv7h.jpg

ke49fk9ypp2v.jpg

Any advice or help would be appreciated! Kinda a noobie with all of this still. Please positive feedback! Thank you!

Replies

• ImVeryAngryItsNotButter
    ImVeryAngryItsNotButter Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    To keep it short and sweet match a gram of protein for every lb, so if you weigh 120, make sure you're getting 120 grams of protein a day. also they say more reps will increase your endurance and definition of the muscle so instead of maxing out on those 8-10 reps, go for 15-20 with a (slightly) lower weight. Additionally you may want to try cycling your routine. For example week 1 you do 8-10 reps with a fully recovery and heavy lifting. wk 2 you do 15-20 with a short recovery and lighter weight. wk 3 you go 8-10 reps with supersets.

also: it looks like you're doing something right, that's a nice improvement in overall tone for one year. keep doing what you're doing!
  • strip3scat
    strip3scat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Being aware that if you eat too much you'll put on more fat than muscle is a good thing to know when you're bulking. You're perfectly on track, keep doing what you're doing.
  • heathyyyy
    heathyyyy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    To keep it short and sweet match a gram of protein for every lb, so if you weigh 120, make sure you're getting 120 grams of protein a day. also they say more reps will increase your endurance and definition of the muscle so instead of maxing out on those 8-10 reps, go for 15-20 with a (slightly) lower weight. Additionally you may want to try cycling your routine. For example week 1 you do 8-10 reps with a fully recovery and heavy lifting. wk 2 you do 15-20 with a short recovery and lighter weight. wk 3 you go 8-10 reps with supersets.

also: it looks like you're doing something right, that's a nice improvement in overall tone for one year. keep doing what you're doing!

I usually do try to do more reps in each set, 4 sets with usually 20-30 reps
    But maybe that's the problem? I should try maxing out more like you said and switch it every other week?

Thank you for the encouragement :)! means a lot!
  • heathyyyy
    Options
    strip3scat wrote: »
    Being aware that if you eat too much you'll put on more fat than muscle is a good thing to know when you're bulking. You're perfectly on track, keep doing what you're doing.

yeah that's what I am scared of bulking too much too fast
    thats why I was wondering if me just taking 200 calories in a per month was a good idea, just so my body doesn't out of wack/I gain more fat than muscle.

Thank you very much :)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is your current lifting routine a structured program or one that you designed on your own?

If you want to gain then you need to increase calories by 250 over maintenance, which will give you a .5 pound per week gain.

if you are not on structured lifting program, I would suggest one like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength, etc.

You really want protein to be one gram per pound of lean body mass; fats to be about .4 to .45 grams per pound of body weight, and the rest carbs.

carbs are king during a bulk due to the insulin spike that they create ...
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Not sure where the other poster got the higher reps nonsense. If you're bulking you want to be in the hypertrophy (muscle building) rep range. It's between 8-12 reps per set and you want to be failing in that range, so if you're able to do more than 12 reps with a given weight, then it's too light. If you can't do at least 8 reps, it's too heavy. As far as protein, you do not need 1 gram per pound of body weight, that's over kill. You just need a minimum of 1 gram per lb of Lean Body Mass, or 0.82g per lb of Body Weight, they should be very close so use either one. You also do not need a protein shake after you work out, or at all. If you can hit your daily protein goal with whole foods, then that is ideal. If you're unable to consume enough protein to hit your goal, then a protein shake can be a good tool, but you don't have to consume it right after your workout. The 30-45 minute post workout anabolic window is a myth, it just doesn't exist. There is evidence however that muscle protein synthesis is at an elevated rate for 24+ hours after a hypertrophy workout, so anytime in that period is find for getting your protein.
  • heathyyyy
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    is your current lifting routine a structured program or one that you designed on your own?

If you want to gain then you need to increase calories by 250 over maintenance, which will give you a .5 pound per week gain.

if you are not on structured lifting program, I would suggest one like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength, etc.

You really want protein to be one gram per pound of lean body mass; fats to be about .4 to .45 grams per pound of body weight, and the rest carbs.

My current lifting routine is just something I have slowly put together in the last year. I will definitely check out your suggestions!

With the carbs (again I am a noobie when it comes to lifting), should I intake more carbs on the days I go to the gym compared to non-gym days? or should I just overall eat more carbs?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    heathyyyy wrote: »

My current lifting routine is just something I have slowly put together in the last year. I will definitely check out your suggestions!

With the carbs (again I am a noobie when it comes to lifting), should I intake more carbs on the days I go to the gym compared to non-gym days? or should I just overall eat more carbs?

you want to eat in a surplus every day and you want to hit your macros as closely as possible every day. So yes, your carb intake should be consistent.

I would also suggest dropping cardio to 20 minutes per week total.

• ndj1979
    Options

But maybe that's the problem? I should try maxing out more like you said and switch it every other week?

4 sets at 20 to 30 reps each set??????????????
  • heathyyyy
    Options

yes thats only for abs though, so I will do 4 sets with 20 reps = a total of 80.

when it comes to arms and legs I do only the max of 10-12 reps, per set
  • ndj1979
    Options

yes thats only for abs though, so I will do 4 sets with 20 reps = a total of 80.

oh ok, I thought that was weights. My bad.

I would suggest picking from one of the programs that I referenced and running it for four to six months.

Does your current routine incorporate compound movements = squat, deadlift, barbell bench press, etc?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Why would you treat abs differently than any other muscle? They respond exactly the same as any other and require the same rep range. Too may people make the mistake of doing sets of 30+ reps with no weight when it comes to abs, but you wouldn't do that for any other muscle. Abs are just like anything else, use weight and keep it to the 8-12 rep range to failure.
  • heathyyyy
    Options

I would suggest picking from one of the programs that I referenced and running it for four to six months.

Does your current routine incorporate compound movements = squat, deadlift, barbell bench press, etc?

Yes I will definitely look into one of those programs! Thank you! And unfortunately, no. I use mainly the machines: Triceps Dip, Biceps curl, Leg press, leg extension, Seated calf raise, Leg Abductor, Hip Abductor. general ab machines etc. I use dumbells with like donkey kicks and lunges.
    AJ_G wrote: »

Why would you treat abs differently than any other muscle? They respond exactly the same as any other and require the same rep range. Too may people make the mistake of doing sets of 30+ reps with no weight when it comes to abs, but you wouldn't do that for any other muscle. Abs are just like anything else, use weight and keep it to the 8-12 rep range to failure.

Tbh I have no idea. It's just something I've picked up of doing for the last year. Probably because my stomach is the one part of my body I've always been self conscious about. Thank you though, I will definitely change that.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yes I will definitely look into one of those programs! Thank you! And unfortunately, no. I use mainly the machines: Triceps Dip, Biceps curl, Leg press, leg extension, Seated calf raise, Leg Abductor, Hip Abductor. general ab machines etc. I use dumbells with like donkey kicks and lunges.

Tbh I have no idea. It's just something I've picked up of doing for the last year. Probably because my stomach is the one part of my body I've always been self conscious about. Thank you though, I will definitely change that.

OK - well you should probably look into learning proper form of compound movements and then running one of the programs listed. You can you tube them and get a good grasp on how they should be performed. IF you have a PT at your gym, then it might not be a bad idea to ask them for a few sessions..however, make sure that they know that you want to learn compound movements...
  • heathyyyy
    Options

OK - well you should probably look into learning proper form of compound movements and then running one of the programs listed. You can you tube them and get a good grasp on how they should be performed. IF you have a PT at your gym, then it might not be a bad idea to ask them for a few sessions..however, make sure that they know that you want to learn compound movements...

Agreed. Just wanted to know if I was on the right track with things so far/needed to know the best steps to continue forward. Thank you so much seriously, you've been a big help!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Agreed. Just wanted to know if I was on the right track with things so far/needed to know the best steps to continue forward. Thank you so much seriously, you've been a big help!

you are welcome, and good luck!
  • Barrelquest
    Barrelquest Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Heavier lifting. 6-8 Reps to failure, 4 to 5 sets. With ample protein you muscles will grow. The long cardio sessions will eat your muscle gains. - Keep them less than 20 mins.