Help with Weight Loss Reward Ideas

Options
shell1005
shell1005 Posts: 5,945 Member
Hi All!

I've been working a weight loss program since about mid February.

I've only been weighing in monthly since I didn't want to think about the scale other than on the 1st of the month. I just wanted to do what I knew worked and not doing it because the scale is giving me the positive validation, etc.

Anyways, when I weigh in on the 1st of each month...if I meet my goals, I have gotten myself a reward.

April 1st: Lost 10 lbs. Made that goal. I bought a bunch of baseball clothes. I am a big baseball fan, so I bought 4 or 5 cute shirts I can wear to the games. The other thing I did is buy them all a size smaller than I was at the time, so I could fit into them as I continued my progress. (All those shirts now currently fit and I've worn all but one to a game so far).

May 1st: Lose another 10 lbs. Made that goal. I bought two new bras. The ones I had didn't fit, were old and stretched out. I needed some and wanted to be closer to my authentic size before I invested in good quality bras. I ordered them last week.

As I continue to weigh in monthly, what are some other reward goals people have used? I think I am still gonna do it in 10 lb increments, but don't expect to lose 10 lbs per month anymore. I also may move to weighing in every 15 days after June 1st since I will be closer to my goal.

I have about 20-25 lbs I would still like to lose. I have the final goal already picked out, it's a new ipad. What kind of things would people recommend in between??? Let me pick your brains.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I use the reward of looking hot and sexy. This is enough for me!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I usually buy workout clothes when I meet mini goals, I also used to buy a new nail polish every lb lost (so usually 1-2 every two week shopping trip) just the cheap bright colours to have fun with. When I hit my initial goal I got my first tattoo. I'm hoping when I repeat hitting it this time with more muscle tone to get another, we will see :P
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I buy workout clothes. New bras and when I hit my final goal I think an Apple watch
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Go for a pedicure!!!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I do something small for myself when I hit a mini goal-- new workout clothes or a book, for example. When I get to my ultimate goal, I'm going to get a snazzy new haircut and some purple highlights.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    A massage or spa treatment. Some fitness gadget like wireless headphones or a new armband for your phone, or an hrm.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I bought new clothes and workout clothes along the way. When I met my final goal a couple of years ago (gained some back, which is why I am here), i bought my iPad Air w/LTE.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of using rewards for my weight loss. Because in my head, the flip side of that would be punishing myself for weight gain, which I don't see as particularly healthy or beneficial.

My weight loss is its own reward. Being stronger, healthier, hopefully living a longer, fuller and happier life, being able to do the things I want to do like travel and see the world, feeling more comfortable in my own skin. Those are my rewards.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I also do not use external reward or punishment as a "motivator" for following a healthy life plan. For starters, carrots and sticks do not work very well for anything other than rote tasks (see Daniel Pink's Drive and his TED talk The Puzzle of Motivation). Since I am a valuable person and worthy of taking care of myself, if I want to buy myself something with my own money, I do it. I look for my motivation in being aware of my health, well-being, stamina, better sleep and a whole host of ways my life has improved.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of using rewards for my weight loss. Because in my head, the flip side of that would be punishing myself for weight gain, which I don't see as particularly healthy or beneficial.

My weight loss is its own reward. Being stronger, healthier, hopefully living a longer, fuller and happier life, being able to do the things I want to do like travel and see the world, feeling more comfortable in my own skin. Those are my rewards.

That might actually be a good idea. We could rewire one of those scales that measures body fat percentage so it delivers a shock, with the voltage determined by how much weight the person gained.
  • MurrahDragon
    MurrahDragon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My hubby likes to dangle going somewhere interesting when I meet goals (any goals, not just losing weight). This was a tactic we both agreed upon, by the way: I have ADHD, and staying on task can be difficult for me, especially if I'm bored. So, we did some reading and learned that small goals, with small rewards for meeting them, can help me stay focused. It does fairly well, actually. :-) And the "going somewhere interesting"? It's usually a hike or a trip to an arboretum or garden, all things I love doing. More exercise to add to the fitness plan! Heh. Just this past weekend, we did a six-mile stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail. Awesome. >^___^<

Buying new clothes is bad for me: I like clothes too much. LOL Silly t-shirts, anything Gothic, or just classically pretty. Throw a bit of Hippy in there and anything with rainbows--yes, that contradicts the Goth... I make costumes and design clothing for a living, so clothes are just FUN for me.

Come to think on it, I do need some new bras...

I started out at 225-230lbs (around this time last year) and I'm down to 209 as of today. Yay! Goal: get to 150lbs. If I can meet that, I'll see if I can drop another ten or twenty, though I won't really need to.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @MurrahDragon congrats on your journey thus far! You shall get to Onederland I guarantee it!
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I do once a month weight insurance too. My reward is chips and salsa at the mexican restaurant. Yeah, yeah, I know... food reward. However, I look at it as a celebration of my gained ability to moderate. I used to eat mexican food a couple times a week and mow down the chips. Now, a once a month treat of chips that I can't accurately measure is something I really look forward to and feels special. It doesn't really seem to set back my weight loss (I estimate it for tracking)
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I stopped having a to-go-coffee for 3,00 EUR every morning.Initially to save up those calories (I like the Cappuccinos and Lattes) and now I just don't justify this amount of money and make low cal versions myself.
    I use the money I save every day by not buying overpriced junk food and eating home cooked healthy meals for new sneakers, sunglasses and other nice things :) Maybe a new fragrance?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If you want to reward yourself, how about some new music, or a new book (digital or hardcopy)?