Avocados?

Options
DanniB423
DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
I just recently fell in love with them! The average calories I am finding them to be is 1oz for 50 calories. On my scale 2oz(roughly 57g) looks like a lot! People sometimes say they are high calories but I was actually happy with the amount. Is this the calorie amount you use for them? Thanks:)

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a half of whole avocado at a time and count an entire small hass avocado as 250 cals. Enjoy them, you have a lot of catching up to do having only recently fallen in love with them lol :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 an avocado every day and it comes out to around 120 calories give or take depending on the avocado.
  • Aoiusagi121
    Aoiusagi121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i eat an entire avocado a day lol x5 times a week still loosing the weigth... is healthy fat after all
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    16 calories for 10grams....so 57grams=91.2 calories and about 5 grams of fat.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    They're relatively calorie dense but imo, one of those "perfect foods." I would eat an avocado a day if I could afford it. They're great as a snack, really good just with salt, pepper, lime/lemon juice, or even balsamic glaze/vinegar if you wanna avoid adding extra calories. My main comment would just be to make sure you're weighing them! It can mean a difference of up to 100 calories by guestimating half an avocado without knowing how many grams it actually is, which can mean a lot once you start getting below 1800 calories a day!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    They're brilliant. I have half every day in a wrap as a kind of meat substitute. Yes, they're quite calorie dense and as above, do vary an awful lot in weight.
    I weighed an average size one when working out the calories for my daily wrap, I can't remember what it was now but must have been over 100.
    They're supposed to be extremely good for you, and they're really, really tasty!
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    They're relatively calorie dense but imo, one of those "perfect foods." I would eat an avocado a day if I could afford it. They're great as a snack, really good just with salt, pepper, lime/lemon juice, or even balsamic glaze/vinegar if you wanna avoid adding extra calories. My main comment would just be to make sure you're weighing them! It can mean a difference of up to 100 calories by guestimating half an avocado without knowing how many grams it actually is, which can mean a lot once you start getting below 1800 calories a day!
    Oh yes I weigh everything! A scale has been a MUST on this journey! :smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    I just recently fell in love with them! The average calories I am finding them to be is 1oz for 50 calories. On my scale 2oz(roughly 57g) looks like a lot! People sometimes say they are high calories but I was actually happy with the amount. Is this the calorie amount you use for them? Thanks:)

According to the USDA website, 57g of California avocado (edible portion only) is 95 calories, so yeah that's about right.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2206?manu=&fgcd=
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THEM. I eat them daily. Please see my diary for reference. I eat them in the morning with my eggs. Mashed avocado and salt. It's awesome! Mashed is best - it feels like mashed potatoes. Great alternative.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I love avocado too. Healthy fats.
  • dougstinson104
    dougstinson104 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pair with a water packed can of tuna and some cut grape tomatoes yum!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Pair with a water packed can of tuna and some cut grape tomatoes yum!

Yep. This is a great snack or light lunch. I also like to do avocado, grape tomato and hard boiled egg. I add a splash on vinegar to help break down the avocado which makes a nice, creamy dressing.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i was super shocked at how "low" their calories were as well once i started weighing them. I thought they would be way worse the way people talk about them.

It's seriously one of the most satisfying foods for me to eat too. Love them.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I love them with my eggs in the morning or on my tacos or with tuna.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yup! Love them! I usually count 300 cals for the ones I eat.
  • ylvak94
    ylvak94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I really like them mashed with a teaspoon of greek yogurt or creme fraiche per half avocado (or a bit of lemon juice) and a bit of salt, then spread on dark rye bread with some sliced ham. Yummy and filling :smiley:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    G U A C A M O L E

Home made, on the menu for tonight. Can't wait.
  • ltstinso
    ltstinso Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This week I discovered avocado chocolate pudding. Delicious!! Tastes like chocolate mousse!

Ingredients
    1 banana
    1/2 avocado
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Optional: 1/2 teaspoon-1 teaspoon Chocolate Stevia , in liquid form

Instructions
    Combine banana and avocado in food processor. Process until smooth.
    Add vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa and process again until combined.
    Serve with your favorite toppings. We love nut free Trader Joe's Granola with 3 berries!

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/dairy-free-chocolate-pudding-no-added-sugar/
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I stayed away from them for a long time, but now I eat a whole avocado 4 - 5 times a week!

I like scrambling a whole egg and mixing avocado in it.

I'm a big taco fan so I like making my own easy guacamole.

I throw them in one of my go to smoothie recipes.

I mix them in my salads.

I will be trying that avocado chocolate pudding recipes above soon too. Thanks for posting! :)

Avocados all day!
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Great smoothie addition too. One of my staples is baked sweet potato topped with half an avocado and an egg over easy. Mmmmm... Or a slice of Ezekiel toast with avocado salt and pepper.