Taking my life back - Gastric Sleeve

Options
Hello MFP! I hope everyone is well on their way to achieving their goals. I thought this was a great time for me to re-engage with MFP to help me achieve the goal of being healthy and fit. I have made the decision to have gastric sleeve surgery (please don't judge - there are many reasons for this). My surgery date is 5/20/15 and I know I have a long and hard road ahead of me. MFP is going to help me track my pre and post-op diet and help me track my protein and fluid consumption as well as my activity. Please let me know if you would like to connect! If there is anyone out there that has or will have weight loss surgery, hit me up. I think it would be great to compare experiences and learn from each other. Be Happy & Healthy! KD

Replies

• bridget1103
    bridget1103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Had surgery 7/2014 and it was the best decision I made! Lost 105 pounds. Track everyday! It really helps with getting your protein in.
  • Rockcity85
    Rockcity85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Surgery is the easy way out. Ugh
  • bmarie1920981
    bmarie1920981 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've seen the results and they can be amazing. I'm just too chicken lol. Feel free to add me and good luck on the surgery <3
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have seen the results and they can be horrible. So many complications that happen. Surgery is not the easy way out. It is even harder. No straws. possible esophagus, digestive, heart, and other problems that seem to randomly show up. Make sure you get up and walk like you are suppose too. Best of luck. I hope yours is complication free.
  • alexis31esquibel
    alexis31esquibel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im on the same road...Im half way to my goal weight pre-op. Its been ten days I been using MFP and already down seven pounds. I am so excited to get my surgery. Hope yours goes well.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I have seen the results and they can be horrible. So many complications that happen. Surgery is not the easy way out. It is even harder. No straws. possible esophagus, digestive, heart, and other problems that seem to randomly show up. Make sure you get up and walk like you are suppose too. Best of luck. I hope yours is complication free.

Don't forget chronic hypoglycemia! That's one of the worst side effects of WLS.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Best of luck with your surgery. We are all in different circumstances and none of us should judge others. This community is to support each other, not judge. I haven't had this surgery but know people at work who have, with great results. Wishing you a quick recovery.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Rockcity85 wrote: »

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. A person who has WLS will never live a 'normal' life so to speak. They will never eat like a normal person, which can interfere with their social life and so on. They also face a number of life-threatening complications, chronic hypoglycemia, daily vomiting, etc. It's not what I would call easy.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Rockcity85 wrote: »

Gastric sleeves, lap bands, gastric bypass; they are not the easy way out. I haven't had one, but I've had family and friends who've had each of the above. There are so many issues and potential complication that go along with this type of surgery, and if you're not mentally prepared to do the right things post-op (just like with losing weight without surgery), it's never going to work in the long term.

A dismissive blanket statement like that just shows a lack of knowledge about weight loss surgery and empathy, and is rude to the OP who is doing what she thinks is the right option for her (not to mention, she specifically asked you to NOT judge).

OP, best of luck with the surgery, and the road after!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i wouldn't say surgery is the easy way, in fact, it seems to be the hardest imo. i didn't have it so I dont know for sure, but not only do you have to have invasive surgery with a painful recovery, but you also have to do the work to get the weight off via diet and then keep it off.

btw, this isn't said in judgement in anyway, we all have to find our own way.
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone's judgments, you're making the decision for you. In no way, shape, or form is this the easy way out and the only people who think so are ones who have NO idea what a person who has this surgery goes through. You've made a decision that will change your life. Be proud of that and embrace the change. Good luck!
  • hillemary
    hillemary Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One word of caution - be extremely careful with alcohol consumption afterwards. Someone very, very dear to me had surgery and because of the new, rapid absorption, she became an alcoholic. She only ever drank wine. Now, she can't seem to let it go of it despite meetings, embarrassing falls, etc. She never had the inclination beyond one glass but all that changed after surgery. She told me *now* her doctor confirms that this is a real issue for patients but had never even mentioned the possibility of alcohol potency changing before it was too late, sadly. Best of luck to you - I wish you the best on your journey!
  • nopotofgold
    Options

Don't forget chronic hypoglycemia! That's one of the worst side effects of WLS.

No, I think the worst is getting a doctor that messes it up. Either leading to malnutrition problems that can't be fixed or during surgery cutting an artery resulting in the surgery not being done and possible lose of life. These doctors really need to be researched.
  • nopotofgold
    Options
    The only people who think so are ones who have NO idea what a person who has this surgery goes through.
    I think that a lot of people that get the surgery think it will be easier than it is too. I blame the doctors for not really giving all the possible problems that can occur.

• smarmyschoolmarm
    smarmyschoolmarm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a lot about cross addiction recently and food to alcohol seems to be a huge one. You may be able to have surgery that makes your body limit the food it can take in but you can't fix what made you eat the way you did in the first place. I'm planning on having the sleeve in the near future and have been in therapy since the beginning of the year. I've tried for 30 year or more to do it on my own. I need help and I'm getting it.
  • RandiHeydt21
    RandiHeydt21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy that you have chose to do this!! I'm having surgery May 28th. Don't listen to all of the negative! Stay positive! Good luck!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, the sleeve will help with "physically" eating, but it doesn't address the mental aspect of why someone over consumed in the first place, which is why many people who do WLS substitute their eating habits for another habit. It could be drinking, drugs, gambling, shopping, etc., but unless it's addressed through sessions, just weighing less doesn't guarantee that problems will be significantly better.
    I had a client last year you went through WLS and lost his strength and muscle. He got depressed and stopped working because he said he felt useless at work because physically he couldn't do much. He started working out again with me, but once he ran out of sessions, I haven't seen him since, nor has he re contacted me even after I've left a few messages checking up on him.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • NurseandMom1981
    NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Funny Ive had the surgery and don't have any of the complications all of you who havent had it speak of. Its just like anything else in life. You can be successful or fail but thats your choice not the surgeries. I live a completely normal life can't eat as much as before and avoid some foods but I should have been doing that anyway. It's much better to have the surgery with the risks then staying overweight and a prisoner in your own body.
  • Steph8200
    Steph8200 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to connect! I had gastric sleeve surgery on May 18th! According to your post you should be 6 days post op! Hope all went well! I have had ZERO complications and feel great :)
  • Carrebare
    Carrebare Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass just over a year and a half ago. I am so glad that I did. It has changed my life, helped me in so many ways. I was struggling to lose even 1 pound before, so far I am down145. I have a little more to go but just being able to move around and do things with my kids was worth it. Feel free to add me as a friend.