Ok my point exactly....WHAT CAN I DO?

Options
In my previous post I wanted people to look at my food diary and give me tips on what to do, basically I was told cut back on processed foods, more protein, less sodium and sugar. What i tried explaining was if I don't eat anything sugary I usually dont even come close to my calorie intake even with me forcing myself to eat (I'm never hungry).

So i'm going to ask again now. Today I ate how I used to (except the greek yogart that was a suggestion and it was yummy, before I was told my body was in starvation mode from not eating enough calories and i'm wondering HOW? How can I reach a normal calorie intake without eating useless calories/sugar/carbs?

Keep in mind, i'm a picky eater. I've tried things before but I dont do meat/seafood......ever.

Replies

• mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Avocado and almonds and peanut butter seem to be high calorie but healthy foods, maybe you can add them to meals or snack on them. (If I remember correctly a small-med avo is like 200 + cals) I have also seen people suggest drinking milk or a protien shake. I hope you get some awesome advice.
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nuts/seeds,fruits/vegetables of your choice,homemade muffins with healthy ingredients for breakfast,healthy mac and cheese,hummus,beans/lentils,rice,tortillas,oatmeal,protein powder smoothies,soups,quinoa,eggs....

Look up vegetarian info on the web :)
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you are very low in protein. I would add a scoop of protein powder to your milk, some ice, a banana and you would have a great protein shake. I would have some protein (maybe a couple scoops of cottage cheese) to your baked potato

I just reread your note that you don't eat fish or meat. Have you tried tofu? To me it takes on the flavor of whatever I cook it with so maybe a veggie stirfry with tofu added for protein? Eggs are also a good source of protein. And I use almond butter as it is a good source of protein and it tastes yummy! Great if I am craving a sweet (I put on a banana or sliced apples).

Hope this helps!
  • melsheep
    melsheep Posts: 12
    Options
    When I need extra calories I add either watermelon or an EAS advant edge carb control protien shake it is 110 cal 2g carbs 17 g protein I was also having trouble geting my calories and after I raised my calorie goal to 1300 and added the shake when needed I lost 6 pounds before the change in 3 weeks lost nothing ,when I looked at my nutrition report it was always under my origional 1200 cal. so I upped it and lost weight. I also add low fat cheese to hit my numbers. It helps
    Mel
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to learn to eat some new foods...you should try to eat a few vegetables (cooked or raw) and fruits, if you "never" eat meat or seafood...I can't see how you're going to get enough nutrients to fuel your body, otherwise.

Rice and black or pinto beans=a complete protein
    Other proteins: peanut butter (in small amounts), eggs, nuts, milk, light cheese, protein powder (you could mix that in with your oatmeal or milk)

Trust me, I love simple carbs too (instant oatmeal, cereal) but you need more than that to take good care of your body.

and I'm glad you tried the greek yogurt--it's a great source of protein!
  • acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I'm going to try some of the things that were suggested!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Here's my diary for today. Not perfect, but it's A LOT of food and variety.

219qudw.jpg
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - I agree - avocado, olives, peanutbutter - and any type of nuts - yoghurt - cottage cheese are all healthy good ways of upping the calories, if you are cooking a meal - a teaspoon of Extra Virgin Olive oil..... yes I know most of these things go against "old fashioned" low fat diet advice..... but they are all good fats...

I also love Salmon - either smoked or natural - another way to get some good healthy fats (and higher calories)
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories, you're not eating enough protein. If you don't eat meat/seafood you need to choose other high protein food. Beans, soy, tofu, nuts, seeds, quinoa -- you need to find other protein sources and eat them everyday. The greek yogurt is good and I'm glad you like it but you need more.
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! I have learned a lot here. I don't have a problem eating my calories (the opposite most days), but I am always over in carbs. These suggestions are high in protein which is something I need to improve on too! Good luck!
  • acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories, you're not eating enough protein. If you don't eat meat/seafood you need to choose other high protein food. Beans, soy, tofu, nuts, seeds, quinoa -- you need to find other protein sources and eat them everyday. The greek yogurt is good and I'm glad you like it but you need more.

I bought a case of protein shakes tonight (weren't cold enough to drink yet and they taste nasty with ice cubes) I'm going to start drinking one of those tomorrow
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Here's my diary for today. Not perfect, but it's A LOT of food and variety.

219qudw.jpg

Your diary made me hungry! Yummy! :)
  • JenayMichele1982
    Options
    I have cut most meats and all processed, sugary foods from diet and i never reach my calorie goal either and i seem to be doing fine. Not eating enough can be very unhealthy but as long as you are eating and you are healthy, i wouldnt worry about it.