Fat belly, skinny everywhere else

Options
2»

Replies

• SarahHadley95
    SarahHadley95 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice :)

I think i'm going to continue with the diet to see if the weight starts coming of my stomach now that it has gone everywhere else, and introduce some exercise to try and tone up.

I do go over my sugar macros quite a lot, but that tends to be from fruit.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good. NOT added sugar. You are on the right track!
  • amylynn194
    amylynn194 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can't do sit ups because of umbilical hernia. I hate losing because my belly looks even.larger. what can I do for my belly area??
  • whmscll
    Options
    Try planks! There is a blog post on MFP that explains planks.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Sugar from fruit is no different than sugar from candy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    amylynn194 wrote: »
    I can't do sit ups because of umbilical hernia. I hate losing because my belly looks even.larger. what can I do for my belly area??

Get surgery. You know that most umbilical hernias in adults continue to get bigger over time, right?
  • usmcmp
    Options

I eat lost of added sugar. It doesn't keep you from losing weight. It may not be filling, but it's not going to make you fat.
  • whmscll
    edited May 2015
    Options

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/a-beginners-guide-to-carbs/

Never said eating sugar stops you from losing weight. If you're going to quote me, please be accurate. I also said that FOR ME, reducing added sugar flattens my belly, which is what OP is asking about. May work for her, may not, TRYING TO BE HELPFUL BY SHARING MY EXPERIENCES. In my last post i meant that fruit is not added sugar.
  • whmscll
    Options
    I also never said sugar makes you fat. Please do not put words in my mouth.
  • usmcmp
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I also never said sugar makes you fat. Please do not put words in my mouth.

I never said you made that claim.

As far as your stomach feeling flatter, it could be that you are simply making overall better choices when you reduce your candy and cake intake.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Recomps are completely pointless for most people. Either eat in a deficit to lose bodyfat or a surplus to gain lean mass. Eating at maintenance will yield minimal results unless you do it for a very long period of time (12 months +)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Recomps are completely pointless for most people. Either eat in a deficit to lose bodyfat or a surplus to gain lean mass. Eating at maintenance will yield minimal results unless you do it for a very long period of time (12 months +)

so the time period makes it pointless? :huh:
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Recomp is not pointless at all if you can stick with it. It just takes patients which alot of people don't have which is why it often fails when people give up after not seeing massive results in a few months.

I started with a 8month recomp and it did work.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Training your core muscles (abs and lower back) can have an influence on how your belly looks actually depending on your posture. I see many people with weak muscles there, and people who carry a bit more weight around there with a hollow back - which naturally results in the belly sticking out more. If you train those muscles proberly an improved posture will result in a less dramatic belly even though the amount of fat is still the same. Try it! If you can I would try complex exercises with a barbell as it trains many muscles at the same time, and you might get a bit more 'tone' on your legs, which will be double good: more lean muscles use up more energy, and having slighty stronger legs (don't worry, you won't get bulky) will also give the apprearance of a smaller belly.