I just got laid off last week and joined the gym. Looking to lose 50lbs.

Options
Bortnipx
Bortnipx Posts: 13 Member
I'm guessing I should do mostly cardio?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the lay off.
    In terms of weight loss its consistent calorie deficit mostly, which is learning to count accurately by weighing, logging it and being consistent. et yourself some scales.

in terms of exercise its about being consustent again, now you decided you wnat to use the gym as your main forms, then try and look for things you enjoy, but you should be looking at a mix of cardio and resistance training because they do different complementary things for weight loss and fitness.

Lifting will help you retain lean body mass which means a higher % of fat loss amongst other things. It cna also help with changing the shape of your body, your strength and general level of fitness. Cardio can assist with your heart and burn you some more calories. Ive done a 50/50 split.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,526 Member
    Options
    If you want to work out then do the sport you really enjoy doing. Why not try different things for a week or two and then decide what you want to do long-term. For losing weight however, the sport is not so important. The calories you eat are. I do running and weight lifting, and I would be swimming if the pool maintainers would not constantly overdo it with chloride.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think for overall fitness it's good to have a 50/50 balance of Cardio and weight training. Yes, the bottom line is it is going to come down to calories in and calories out but If you do lose the weight and get skinny would you rather be thin and flabby or thin and tone. I think our overall appearence with tone muscles is a great motivating factor. Besides adding muscle also helps you to burn calories quicker which in turn would help you to lose weight. I really don't want loose skin afterwards.
  • catman01
    catman01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll be joining you soon in the "layoff line" & need to lose ~30 lbs. As my coworker pointed out...everyone who has left this company has gone on to lose weight & become healthier! So, with that being said, here I go. Since I'm just getting my mind wrapped around everything, I am logging all food & making sure I walk. After about 2weeks of following the above I will start to add some weight training. Good luck to you!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    nahhh lift some weights, eat at a slight deficit to your TDEE, and watch the pounds drop
  • Bortnipx
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Bortnipx
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the lay off.
    In terms of weight loss its consistent calorie deficit mostly, which is learning to count accurately by weighing, logging it and being consistent. et yourself some scales.

in terms of exercise its about being consustent again, now you decided you wnat to use the gym as your main forms, then try and look for things you enjoy, but you should be looking at a mix of cardio and resistance training because they do different complementary things for weight loss and fitness.

Lifting will help you retain lean body mass which means a higher % of fat loss amongst other things. It cna also help with changing the shape of your body, your strength and general level of fitness. Cardio can assist with your heart and burn you some more calories. Ive done a 50/50 split.

• Bortnipx
    Options
    Thanks! Makes sense!