Help Needed please!!! Fat and 41

Options
Apologies for the long post but I really need some advice. Im fat and 41! I have been pretty sedentary all my life and have decided that enough is enough. I have recently made some small changes, just to see if i can. I bought a fit bit and have been ensuring that I reach my steps each day (my dog is very happy) and have been doing some work out videos at home and being doing the C210K. I am progressing well and have lost 6lb in the last month. I have read all the 'stickies' on MFP and would like to progress.

I pretty much do a desk job and work long hours and so it can be hard to fit in time (i know that sounds like excuses). I have taken the plunge and booked a session at my local gym (sports centre, not a posh gym) and have an induction booked for next week where they will show me how to use the equipment. My question really is about nutrition??

Do i need to worry about Macros?? If so what do they need to be to lose weight? Although I am fat (currently 230lb) do i need to worry about these? Do i need to worry about adding in extra protein?? I have worked out my TDEE (as recommended by the stickies) and this is come out as

BMR 2032
TDEE 2439
Daily Calories based on goal 1951

Are carbs the enemy?? (such as bread and pasta....i am aware that veg etc has carbs)

Does anyone know where I can start? Should i eat back exercise calories or not??

I have ordered a set of scales to weigh food as everything I have read says this is vital. I have read lots of things on the internet such as paleo and stuff, but not sure I can go so restricitive. I am happy not to eat processed food as I love to cook but Im not sure about not being able to have any dairy etc. Is there any particular websites that might prove useful.

Any advice is welcome. I am aware that all the stuff I am asking is pretty basic for many of you but I guess you all had to start somewhere too????

Many thanks in advance

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For weight loss, only calories matter. If you are already losign weight, keep doing what you are doing, regarding calories. Quality of food matters for health, not weight. In general, there is no need for food restrictions, unless there is a medical issue, which you should discuss with your dr.
    Google a bit or browse through the forums and you will see all sorts of extremes, from eat bananas only to never touch carbs or a million other weird diets, and people swearing these are the solution to everything. Unless you have health concerns, eat whatever you like. If you suspect something in your diet is affecting you negatively, talk to your dr, because this is one of those things where the internet will not help at all...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I will add that when building your muscles in the beginning as a newbie to weight lifting and exercise, up your protein. You will be thankful to have protein as your freind.

Macros is not important for "weight loss" but can play an important role in building and maintaining muscle mass through your journey. Up the protein and add some healthy fats.

But the macros are not important if you are not going to exercise, but protein as I said is your friend.

Go back to the stickies.. a link to a bunch of them are here.. you are on the right track.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • twistedwoman
    twistedwoman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Does protein shakes work as well as protein from food? I'm just thinking of money and time
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1) Don't worry about macros until you're within 15 lbs of goal - it's just background noise. 2) Eat high protein, low carb every day. Again, don't worry about cycling or cheat days - strict adherence to the plan is what's needed now. 3) Strength train, cardio is a waste of time. While it may help, an hour of lifting weights is a far better use of 60 minutes than an hour on an elliptical or treadmill.
  • twistedwoman
    Options
    Don't I need cardio to burn fat???

Thanks for the replies
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You're doing well so far! You don't need cardio to burn fat, that's what the calorie deficit is for. But cardio is good for burning extra calories (so you can eat more...) Strength training (weightlifting or body strength exercises) are great for keeping the muscle you've got.

You don't need to eat low carb, unless you've got medical issues and your doctor advises it. But play around with your eating habits - I find that lowering my carb levels (not to anything seriously low - around 30-35% of my daily) and getting in more protein heavy meals helps me keep those hunger pangs away and I'm less likely to fall off the wagon. Some folk find complex carbs do the same thing for them. Unfortunately, everyone is different and it takes time to work out what's right for you.

Good luck!
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    best suggestions....drink lots and lots of water, up your protein and fat -- these will keep you fuller longer. And, if you are strength training, the protein will help build muscle. I've gone fairly low carb -- almost no bread/flour/pasta -- and feel much better for it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Don't I need cardio to burn fat???

Thanks for the replies

Cardio is an effective way to burn calories (a lot of calories), but you are burning calories constantly, even if you are doing nothing but lying in bed. As long as you are eating less than you burn, your body will use fat as a source of energy to make up for the deficit.
  • tram5401
    tram5401 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Net calories at the end of the day (or cumulative over several days) is the main factor of determining if you will lose weight. It also helps tremendously if you eat a balanced blend of Protein, Carbs, Fat, and Fiber. Monitor those 4 items against what MFP recommends for you daily, and you can't go wrong. I also don't have a lot of time for exercise, but combining the FitBit with MFP has also helped me a lot - even if you only walk a little bit each day (take the stairs if available, park at the BACK of the shopping center parking lot) - those few extra calories feel like a bonus (I set up my MFP profile as not having any regular workout plans normally - so it does not take a lot of moving to gain those bonus calories). Feel free to friend me if you like; I share my food diary to my friends if that will help give you some ideas on what to eat. I also keep an Excel spreadsheet of end of day 'net calories' (available in the reports tab) - so if I go over just a bit on one day, I make up for it in later days. Or, if I know I have a tough day coming, I 'bank' some calories ahead of time. Good luck!
  • Charlot4444
    Charlot4444 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Also the best exercise is the one(s) you enjoy and will keep doing.

I personally love some cardio and so I do it. I also love muscle definition and realize that for the nice flat tummy I am working towards I need to lift weights. But I have had to try a few different programs to find which I enjoy (and therefore will keep doing).

It's all about long term changes so I eat at a deficit (I do a weekly one). I usually have some chocolate (nom) and fit it in my day. I check my macros and make sure I hit protein and fiber. Usually getting these balances them all out for me (my macros are 40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat) but that depends on what you eat.

The best lesson I have learned from mfp is patience. Not sure who said it first but this is a marathon not a race.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're off to a great start! It's important to be as consistent as possible, since you have a journey before you... So, eat what you like & exercise doing what you enjoy - being too restrictive can sap your will. Try to keep your choices mostly healthy, but plan in some treats- whether you enjoy chocolate or wine (or both). Everyone is different, so don't be afraid to play with different macro ratios, different workouts, etc. to see how you feel, what you like- make it a custom plan! Get plenty of sleep & stay hydrated- the rest is experimentation.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I bought a fit bit and have been ensuring that I reach my steps each day (my dog is very happy) and have been doing some work out videos at home and being doing the C210K.

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any calculator. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.

You can learn more (and find Fitbit friends) in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Connect your accounts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit. Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

Use MFP's default macros. The protein & fiber goals are minimums—not maximums. You can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly, and learn proper portions.

Most of all, be patient! And celebrate every NSV (non-scale victory). This should be about making healthy, sustainable lifestyle changes.
  • twistedwoman
    Options
    Wow you lovely people, great advice, thanks all very much, it honestly is appreciated!!