Why do the scales fluctuate so much daily?

Options
13»

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I weighed weekly when I was on Weight Watchers many years ago. Some weeks, when I had been very good with both diet and excercise, i wouldn't lose anything, or actually GAIN. It was completely demoralizing. Now that I've been weighing daily for quite a while I have a much better understanding of my body's fluctuations. It took me a while to understand my personal triggers for fluctuations (going up to altitude, a weekend of heavy hiking or backpacking, too much salt, not drinking enough water, too many indulgences, etc.). My rule is, when I see a change on the scale, not to "believe" it until the scale has said the same thing for at least two days in a row. And I am meticulous about weighing under exactly the same conditions every morning (first thing after getting up, after peeing, naked).
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if you are going to weigh daily you really should chart it so you learn about the fluctuations rather than let them get to you. I wrote a post when I hit goal about a week ago that had a lot on daily weighing and charting if you are interested http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10152741/i-hit-goal-today-after-27-months
  • Bigkmc
    Bigkmc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very informative @257_Lag. I love the example you gave re weighing 5th of the month - just goes to show! And well done on the amazing progress!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    why are you weighing daily?

29509743.png
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    It's fun and keeps me focused.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday. The fluctuations do crazy things with my anxiety!
  • Bigkmc
    Bigkmc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @jrline - mainly because I am impatient and desperate to see results...