Weight predicament

Options
From day 1 here, as some of you may know, I was using a huge scale at work (for measuring bundles of steel) for my check ins, and have used the same scale until this week, when I bought a brand new digital bathroom scale. Trouble is, the 2 scales are out of sync MASSIVELY. At work, I'm fully clothed too though, (including steel-toe capped boots) and I weigh over 7 lbs less on the new scale at home. I don't know whether to carry on with the work scale or start using the home one "/

What ya think?

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would use the digital scale because thats meant for your personal use. The one you were using before isn't meant for your personal use, and you should weigh yourself without anything on -- In morning after u use the bathroom because your weight is more accurate then. Your boots may be adding on to your weight more than you realize.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You should reprogramme your info on your profile because at the end of the day you have still lost x amount of weight and you don't want to lose that do you?
    Once you have done that you can carry on using the new scales.

Not sure if that helps - but I need to buy some new scales and this what I am planning to do.

Good luck!
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would go for your home scale :) and stick to that!
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Definitely think the home scale is the better option. Enjoy knowing you're 7 lbs less than you thought! ;-)
  • VOLume5973
    VOLume5973 Posts: 8
    Options
    Well since we know where the 7 pounds from the work scale came from, the two scales may be pretty close to one another. I'd just make a mental note of when you switched to the home scale and go on. I had a similar problem when my bathroom scale got wet and stopped working. My new scale was off from the old one. It bugs my wife more than it does me.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would go for your home scale :) and stick to that!

Ditto!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Do you know if the scale at work is recalibrated regularly? I would assume it needs to be pretty accurate, so my guess is that it is. Steel-toed boots are pretty heavy, too!

Scales do vary some. I just got rid of a digital scale I had because it was inconsistent, and when I got the new one I checked the difference. The new one was 1.8 pounds higher. So I adjusted all my recorded weights upwards by 1.8 pounds and am using only the new scale.

Frankly I would just stick to one scale for consistency's sake, so I would go ahead and pick one and be done with it.

Good luck!
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Well since we know where the 7 pounds from the work scale came from, the two scales may be pretty close to one another. I'd just make a mental note of when you switched to the home scale and go on. I had a similar problem when my bathroom scale got wet and stopped working. My new scale was off from the old one. It bugs my wife more than it does me.

I can't imagine a pair of boots and a few items of clothing weigh 7lbs? I dunno tho lol I'll weigh em on Monday ;)
  • Solat37_Neil
    Options
    Yeah , I reckon I'll weigh in tomorrow morning and reset all my data on here, so I keep my 20lbs loss, I'm proud of that :D
  • Kimber1012001
    Kimber1012001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't stress, the initial weighing is irrelevant, the important point is to see a decline in numbers from whichever is your starting point. If you continue to use the work one, than you won't have to do anything. If you start using the new digital one, weigh yourself starting from there and keep on going. A 2lb loss is still a 2 lbs loss.

You can't determine which one is inaccurate so it equals out if you just look at the net lbs lost.

I hope this helps a bit!! :)
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would switch to the home scale dude. So for a week or two you'll have a deficit between the two sets of scales - then, after a couple weigh ins on the home scales, you'll know you have consistency again.

If you're gonna have to make the switch to home scales sooner or later - might as well do it now!
  • grocery
    grocery Posts: 6
    Options
    As long as you stick to the same scale for weigh ins;I don't think it matters which you use. Even if the weight shown is wrong by a few ounces or even a lb or 2,as long as the numbers show a loss when you weigh you are doing well.Just don't vascilate between scales.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    boots are heavy so they probably weigh a good 4 pounds themselves. I know my clothing, just a pair of jeans and a tshirt weigh 2.5 pounds normally. So its probably pretty correct. I would go with weighing in at home though :) naked. in the morning.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but I didn't want you guys thinkin I was cheatin lol :)

Another bonus, my targets are all 7lbs closer to get to! Nice result!!
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Your home scale is probably more accurate for your weight... I would think your work scale is for higher weights?? A 7lb difference in steel probably gets rounded one way or the other and not as important?? Just a guess. Try weighing yourself at home as you would at work -- boots, clothes, etc and see how much you weigh then.

Anyway, I think you should just make the switch to your home scale regardless.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i would weigh your steelies on your home scales - i know from when i had to wear them every day how heavy they really are - youd be surprised how heavy ur clothes can be as well

if u want to use your home scales just adjust ur starting weight by -7 and then weigh on the home scales
    -7 from start and -7 from current will even out, and you'll get to use your own home scales
    first thing in the morning is best as your stomach is empty and you havent filled up on water