Not losing even a pound

Options
I'll try to make this as short as possible, but really needing some opinions. I lost 70 pounds with diet and exercise all on my own. Then got pregnant and gained every single pound back. So now I'm starting all over and obviously know what I need to do to accomplish it. I've been eating around 1600 calories a day, and tracking it all on here. All healthy food. No tv dinners or anything high in sodium, also drinking around 100oz of water a day. I weigh 230.4 and am 5'5. I've been working out 5 times a week and yesterday even did two workouts. This is week three and I literally haven't even lost half a pound! I thought just from not eating fast food every meal, and drinking more water, that itself would've made me lose about 5 pounds, not even including the workouts. I do have am under active thyroid. I never had this much problem seeing the scale move before having my son. Any advice anyone?!?! I'm becoming very frustrated and really don't want to emotionally eat over this because I know that won't do anything but make things worse, but *kitten* it's making me mad! Lol

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary?
  • cbowman1114
    cbowman1114 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How do I do that? Lol I'm new to this
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How do I do that? Lol I'm new to this

Go here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings and at the bottom under Diary Sharing set it to public.

Do you weigh everything? Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • cbowman1114
    Options
    I weigh literally everything! I have all sizes of measuring cups and a food scale as well. And I never eat back my exercise calories
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food?
    And logging those bites you grab on the go? (The slice of ham from the fridge or apple on the side counter etc)
    Logging liquid calories?

I have an underachievement thyroid too, sometimes for no reason my thyroxine needs adjusting (personally I think diet changes affect this as they time in pretty similar but my doctor says "it's just one of those things...") when did you last have your levels done?
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    I weigh literally everything! I have all sizes of measuring cups and a food scale as well. And I never eat back my exercise calories

No need for measuring cups if you're weighing everything :P

You may just need to give it more time, or lower your calories slightly. Do you weigh daily or weekly?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    How old is your baby? I have three, and I gained a lot in all my pregnancies, despite exercising, eating under my calorie allowance etc. My third baby has just turned 1, and it took a while for the weight to start coming off, and I still have some to lose. I went back to the gym at 6 weeks after each of my babies, and didnt lose much weight at first, but I did lose inches, so it's important to take measurements too.
  • tattooed_mom
    tattooed_mom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im having this same issue except for a year. Ive lost 6 pounds in a year.
  • cbowman1114
    Options
    My son is 18 months old. I just had my levels checked about 6 weeks ago, so I'm about due for them to be checked again. I also just got my Mirena taken out yesterday. I'm hoping that helps some, because I am constantly bloated and never felt this way until I got it in. I weigh myself weekly
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Given your weight, 1600 calories may not be enough. Calculate your BMR (MFP provides this on the Apps tab if you're on a computer). BMR is what you burn just being alive and breathing. Also, be honest about your typical activity levels when you do your calculations. Don't call yourself sedentary if you are up on your feet chasing a toddler all day or moving around frequently at work, etc.

Get your thyroid checked. And I've heard others fuss about Mirena and bloated and weight gain. That could be a possibility.

Also, if MFP gave you the 1600 as your calorie intake, consider eating back at least part of your activity calories... I tend to eat maybe half of mine, sometimes more. MFP calcs calories on a minimum. Many people often find that they can eat more than MFP calcs and still lose.

When you get your thyroid checked, consider having them check to see if there's anything else going on that could be causing you issues.

And while weight loss isn't rocket science, it isn't the same for everyone. We all have to find what works for us. Be patient, play around with things and you'll find what works for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you currently getting treatment for your thyroid issues?
  • cbowman1114
    Options
    Given your weight, 1600 calories may not be enough. Calculate your BMR (MFP provides this on the Apps tab if you're on a computer). BMR is what you burn just being alive and breathing. Also, be honest about your typical activity levels when you do your calculations. Don't call yourself sedentary if you are up on your feet chasing a toddler all day or moving around frequently at work, etc.

Get your thyroid checked. And I've heard others fuss about Mirena and bloated and weight gain. That could be a possibility.

Also, if MFP gave you the 1600 as your calorie intake, consider eating back at least part of your activity calories... I tend to eat maybe half of mine, sometimes more. MFP calcs calories on a minimum. Many people often find that they can eat more than MFP calcs and still lose.

When you get your thyroid checked, consider having them check to see if there's anything else going on that could be causing you issues.

And while weight loss isn't rocket science, it isn't the same for everyone. We all have to find what works for us. Be patient, play around with things and you'll find what works for you.

Thanks for the info! When I told my doctor about it yesterday all she had to say was I think you need to go down to about 900-1000 calories a day. I looked at her and said I'll stick to what I'm doing and left pretty discouraged
  • cbowman1114
    Options

Yes I take 75mcg of levothyroxine
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Disagree. Weight loss is the same for everyone. Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight. Eat more than you burn and you will gain weight. No one failed to lose weight because they were eating too little.

That being said, sometimes finding the right numbers for you can be challenging. Medication, medical issues, etc. can all affect the Calories Out portion of the equation, but as long as your Calories In are less than that, you will lose weight.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes I take 75mcg of levothyroxine

Do you feel comfortable opening up your diary? You might get some useful advice.
  • cbowman1114
    Options
    I'll open it. But there's not many posts yet. There were some days I wrote down my meals for the day in my notebook, so there not on here. But I would love to hear advice
  • cbowman1114
    Options
    I think I changed it now
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I think I changed it now

You mentioned above that you were weighing and I do see weights for a lot of items. I would encourage you to weigh all solids, including things like turkey bacon. I notice you log 100 grams of banana frequently -- are those really weights? Since you were logging in a notebook, I'm not sure about the unlogged days.
  • cbowman1114
    Options
    100 grams? Idk why it says that lol I just choose the ones that say there the closes to that size. Like 1 large banana. For the turkey bacon I don't measure that because 1 slice is 25 calories so I obviously know 4 slices is 100 calories
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    100 grams? Idk why it says that lol I just choose the ones that say there the closes to that size. Like 1 large banana. For the turkey bacon I don't measure that because 1 slice is 25 calories so I obviously know 4 slices is 100 calories

But you said you weigh literally everything, now you're saying you just choose the entries closest to the size?