HELP! percentages on sugar, carbs etc.

Options
claunene
claunene Posts: 5 Member
Hello,

I'm new to MFP and already love it but I'm a bit lost.
I'm a 44 yr old mom and need to loose 20 lbs. Please help me understand the percentages I should have on carbs, fat, protein and SUGAR most important. Yesterday I ate a mango (fruit) and got a notice that I was getting too close to my daily sugar intake. Where do I check..? what do I do to stay within the right numbers and loose the weight?
I just upgraded to premium- but still lost!?

THANK YOU!
Clau

Replies

• cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile: I just asked a similar question as it happens... if you are trying to lose weight then protein is important. Try this website.. IIFYM.com and use their calculator, its really good for determining your calorie and protein intake.
    As for the sugar, I wouldn't worry too much if its naturally occurring sugars from fruit, such as your mango. My sugar is set to 30 which I try to never go above, but I only count processed sugars (from biscuits, granola bars etc) and I count honey and natural sugars like that too, I put agave on my porridge and coconut sugar in my tea, I DO count all of those.... but I don't count fruit or veg :smile:
  • p_cisneros2
    p_cisneros2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The numbers on here are also defaulted. You can customize the goals you want to meet on your macros and micros. Everyone has a different goal, such as myself. I want most of my calories to come from fat and protein. I don't want to go over 65 grams of carbs in a day which also limits my sugar intake to 20g or less a day. Good luck!
  • itz_kuchie
    itz_kuchie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What he said ^^ use a calculator to help you start off. Just remember that the calculator doesn't know your activity level and what you're doing all day. It'll give you something to work with though. Aftee that give it a few weeks and track your progress, if you gain weight lower your calories by 200.. if you're losing weight too fast up your calories by 200/300.

It's all about trail and error. Wish you the best of luck! Also for the sugar, don't worry too much about natural occurring sugars. Processed sugars on the other hand are crap! Enjoy your fruits!

My macros are set at 40%Carbs 35% protien 25%fat. Protien helps with losing weight. Make are to eat plenty of it!
  • claunene
    claunene Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help- have a great day!