Any tips on how to start running?

Options
Hi guys. I am three months into my fitness journey and so far I am down 20 pounds. Mainly I do a lot of walking or I excerise on the elliptical, treadmill (walking and jogging in bursts for about 1-2 minutes) and take at least two classes a week (body pump, spin class, etc). My goal is to become a runner but I have a really hard time getting started. When I am running I feel like my technique is all wrong, I have pain in my shins and am usually out of breath after 2 minutes. I know this is something that I will have to work my way up to but it seems like those around me are running so easily and naturally I am wondering if there are some basic running fundamentals that I'm missing. I have never been a runner and didn't participate in sports growing up so I'm starting from scratch. My goal is to be able to run long distances and complete a 5 k (running the whole time) by the end of the year. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I started by walking, and jogging occasionally then gradually it migrated to more jogging and I save my running for races. Good luck on your journey

29509743.png

as for your shin pain stand with your toes on the edge of a step and raise and lower your body 10 times both before and after, when I started doing that I no longer had shin pain.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Go painfully slow. When you think you're going slow enough, slow down a bit more.

Shoes and bra must be supportive. Not necessarily expensive.

Couch to 5K is a good plan for working up to that distance. Don't try and run every day or run for an hour straight off. At best you won't have a pleasant experience probably, and at worst you'll injure yourself.

I've been running for a while now and I still have to concentrate on breathing properly (for me this means thinking about exhaling properly rather than gulping air in).

Best not to run right after a meal. I usually need to wait 2 hours. You need to be well hydrated too (as you probably know from your classes and things).

Sorry if it seems obvious, but I had to learn all these myself the hard way because I'm stubborn and impulsive :D

ETA: stretching, foam rolling and exercises for leg joint mobility (particularly hips) may be worth looking into as you get more into running. Can help prevent injuries.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Pain in your shins could well be shin splints. Best way to prevent them is to make sure you've got proper shoes (fit/support) and that you aren't trying to do too much. All the exercises you listed involve your legs, and now you want to add running. If your shins continue to bother you after you've gotten proper footwear, consider scaling things back a bit so your legs have time to recover between workouts.

As for getting started running, there are 2 approaches.
    1. Just get out there and run. Start off slow, probably slower than you think you can/should go. Your goal is to maintain your effort, not set world records. When you need to walk, walk. Then run a bit more. Stay with it and you should see progress.
    2. Follow an established program like couch to 5k. It'll break out the workouts for you in a very planned, structured way.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I never in my wildest dream thought I would run - anywhere. I started just walking 10K step a day which meant a few trips around the neighborhood. I would see people running up the hill and thought: "WOW- Super Athletes".. Once I was down 50lbs, I got the C25K app and started doing it. It has you run / walk.. and it is tough at first... but you will find your form and endurance will increase quickly. I have a 5K lap I run and last week I did my best time 24:08. And those people on the hill.. I pass them :) Couch 2 5 K That did it for me (and a run tracker - i use Endomondo)

Forgot to mention the pains... I went though a bunch of weird stuff: Shins, ankles, HIP (x2) (That was a common one).. I attribute all of them (in my case) to my body adjusting to something I had not done in 30+ years.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Footwear and achilles stretching to help the shin pain. Poor footwear (or worn out footwear) almost always causes me shin pain.

Slow down. Don't try to run at "race" speed. Work on being able to cover the distance you'd like to go, and then work on doing it faster at some point in the future. Too fast is almost always a problem.

Using a system like C25k may be beneficial. I didn't use it, but I know many who have quite successfully.

Realize that running is a very mental endeavor. If you allow the negative thoughts to take over, your run will suffer if not end.

You need to be comfortable with the fact that running will make you uncomfortable. It is a near constant battle in which you find something that hurts or is uncomfortable and you investigate ways of managing or eliminating the pain. A lot of discovery! It can be fun.

Good luck!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Here's some advice that worked great for me, if you can't have a conversation when running, you're running too fast.

Stand up straight, don't slump forward when running and don't clench your fists.

I didn't do C25K but I hear great things about it. I just picked out random landmarks and ran to that point, next time I'd pick something a bit further and eventually I stopped thinking about it. That's when I knew I could run on my own and got a GPS watch so I would know how far I was really going.

I personally feel best running on an empty stomach, get up in the morning have coffee then hit the road. Others will say eat an hour or 2 before and say drink lots of water so experiment but LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and if you get cramps, slow down and if necessary drop to a walk you don't want injury.

For the shin splints I'd say hit a running store, sounds like improper fitting shoes or possibly you're striking your foot wrong and it's causing the shin pain.

Good luck, take it slow and enjoy.
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Here is what has worked for me for shin splints:
    Before running, I get a good calf stretch
    During the day (I sit at a desk all day), I sit with my feet flat and tap my toes keeping my heels on the ground and bringing my toes up as far as I can. I do this throughout the day to strengthen the muscles along my shins.
  • asjiastinson
    asjiastinson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When do you think is the best time to run?
  • kare1985
    kare1985 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I started running I suffered from shin splints. I found that my stride was to long. Try shortening your stride and you will probably notice a difference. You want to keep your feet under you not reaching out in front.
    Start off doing short distances and have a 10:1 ratio, 10 minutes of slow jogging and i minute of walking.

Good luck! I never thought I would be a runner but last year I ran my first half marathon. You have it in you.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Have a trainer review your stride and form. For the shin splints ice your legs after runs and give them a good massage throughout the day. Your legs are building new capillary beds to adapt to this healthy change - need to be patient as this will pass over time.

Throughout the day I do this routine (as I jockey a desk now): While sitting, put your right foot on your left knee and gently rock your left foot back and forth through a full range of motion 20x. Switch and do the same with the right foot and repeat throughout the day. This will stretch the lower leg muscles and help you get over the shin splints.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I recently decided to wanted to be a jogger/runner. I am still pretty overweight so I am starting slow. I started out walking at:
    3.5mph 5 minutes
    5.0mph 1 minutes jogging
    3.5mph 5 minutes
    5.5mph 1 minutes jogging
    3.5mph 5 minutes
    6.0mph 1 minutes jogging
    3.5mph 5 minutes
    6.0mph 1 minute jogging
    3.2mph 5 minutes cool down

it might seem slow for the avid runner but I plan to increase the jogging minutes as I start to feel less like I'm having a heart attack :)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Good advice above. Moist important at first is to set expectations - you will need to run slow, it will feel difficult at first, and you already know why - this is very new to you! That's OK!

I was a distance runner once upon a time. Short story, after ten years and gaining 100 pounds I wanted to be my old self again and started running last September. I had the mind of an experienced runner but not the body, and I went through everything you are going through. :-)

My form was terrible. My calves tight and achy. Breathing hard. Couldn't run 1km without stopping. Often. Really often. And I used to run marathons!

Trust me, if you stick with it, it will get better.

This month I'll run 200km and am 62 pounds lighter. I'm not yet a marathoner again (not sure I want to be, we'll see) but I'm already very fit and will only get fitter and faster as I drop the remaining 40.

You don't have to run this much to get huge benefit from running, but who knows, you might find you like it that much!

The bottom line: Take it easy, build slowly, and keep asking questions. You will improve and it'll feel great.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of good advice, but I would emphasize:

1. Good shoes
    2. Slow down

You can do it!
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is awesome! There is a MFP group that can help you get started. Lots of good info.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Also, my shin splints were pretty much erased by a good pair of shoes (Hoka works for me but there are other brands). If you have a local running store, visit them for some tips. Start slow, don't worry about speed, & just take the time you need. Maybe plan a 5k for the end of summer or early fall & work up to it. Good luck!
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Go slowly, it's better to progress slowly than to do too much too fast and give up (trust me I've done that a ton of times!). This time I followed C25K, and it helped me really build my endurance. Now I love to run.
  • krismurphydc
    krismurphydc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much for the great advice! This really helps a lot. I am definitely going to put this to good use immediately.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    c25k.. BUT... before you give that a go... spend a month strengthening and stabilizing your legs by doing walking lunges...squats... and plenty of stretching... some ab work would also be beneficial... jogging/running is a very high impact activity... you will go a long way in preventing injury and ensuring your success and "fun" if you prepare your legs for this kind of work.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Go to a local school track.

Walk1/4 mile
    run 1/4 mile
    walk 1/4 mile
    run 1/4 mile
    and continue until you complete 3 miles.

Several times a week do your 3 miles, as your conditioning improves run more and walk less until you are able to run the whole thing.

Make sure you have a decent pair of shoes to help with the shin splints. You need cushioning.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump for C25k plan.
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If someone told me that I'd running more than 20 meters without dropping dead a year ago I'd lough. Today I can manage Half Marathon. For me it was the pace, if you think that you run slowly, slow even more...and more and keep going at the slowest possible pace than walk if you are out of breath and trot again veeeeeeery slowly.

It was my husband who showed me the pace and I couldn't believe that it was as simple as this - very slow steady run. I love my morning runs in a park before everyone else is up - good luck :)