Avocado!?

Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
okay I've just bought an Avocado for the first time ever lol what can I make with it? Any suggestions? :)

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Oh how I love avocados! I use mine in salads, to top off a turkey club/other sandwich, or just eat it straight up with a sprinkle of salt and black pepper :p
  • mbibble
    mbibble Posts: 6 Member
    AVOCADO ERR'THING! Ok sorry.

You can make avocado toast, you can slice it in half and bake an egg in the pit (I personally find this to be gross, but it looks pretty), you can slice it, squeeze a lemon & some salt and pepper and throw it on top of a salad, you can put it in a smoothie (but find a recipe first - every time I try to wing it, I wind up making something that tastes as bad as it looks), or - my favorite - chop it and put it in a wrap. Oh, and, guacamole.

Here's a list of avocado recipes that look pretty good: http://greatist.com/health/39-deliciously-unexpected-healthy-avocado-recipes
  • Samm471
    Thanks very much I didn't have a clue what you do with them haha :)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    you can make guacamole a million different ways...I usually just smash the avocado with a fork, add lime, salt, pepper, and a little bit of salsa or hot sauce.

It is also good just plain on salads or sandwiches

My grandma used to make a salad with grapefruit and avocado...citrus pairs super great with it!
  • Samm471
    suruda wrote: »
    you can make guacamole a million different ways...I usually just smash the avocado with a fork, add lime, salt, pepper, and a little bit of salsa or hot sauce.

It is also good just plain on salads or sandwiches

My grandma used to make a salad with grapefruit and avocado...citrus pairs super great with it!

Cool that sounds tasty what you gran used to make :)
  • Samm471
    I never realised there was so much you could do with it either
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    I like to mash it and either use on sandwiches or burgers. I also use some of the mashed mixed with nonfat greek yogurt as salad dressing. It's also really good diced up in taco salad, can be mixed with tuna, chicken or turkey as a replacement to mayo. I've also replaced the oil in brownies with avacado.

Of course there's always the tortilla chip to mouth method, a personal favorite of mine, I just add a little lemon juice, chili and garlic powders.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I also like it in the following salad:

Lettuce
    Shrimp
    Blue cheese crumbles
    Avocado

lightly dressed with either a vinagarette or blue cheese dressing...
  • Samm471
    These all sound amazing thanks everyone .. I hope I like it as I've never tried it before either :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    On a tortilla with shrimp and peppers. So good.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Just make sure it's ripe before you use it.
    It should have a little give when you squeeze it.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    As above, check it's ripe first.
    There's a great youtube video showing how to cut them (stalk bit out, run a knife around the stone, then twist) then just scoff the inside, they're lovely!
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    luten free crisp bread, some cream cheese, avocado on top.

avocado, tomato and mozzarella with a dashing of balsamic vinegar.

mashed avocado with mashed feta as a spread.

sliced avocado and humus sandwich, lettuce and tomato are optional.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Avocado hummus....puree chickpeas and avocado together with some spices.
  • Samm471
    Thanks everyone I will be sure to check its ripe!
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Itll be slightly soft! and the skin a little brown!

I eat it almost every other day. Its SO GOOD. My fave is just slice it up and put a little bit of Old bay on it, or have it some boiled eggs. Simple yet tasty snack. Its great on salads, fish tacos, pretty much everything haha. Enjoy!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    I quarter, peel (http://www.californiaavocado.com/blog/why-you-should-peel-avocados), and mash with a fork and a heavy sprinkle of Lime/Garlic/Cilantro (http://www.truelemon.com/true-lime-garlic-cilantro-cooking), then use it as a dip for veggies and/or meat.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Bump!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    suruda wrote: »
    I also like it in the following salad:

Lettuce
    Shrimp
    Blue cheese crumbles
    Avocado

lightly dressed with either a vinagarette or blue cheese dressing...

I add bacon instead of shrimp and watch the world fade away. nom nom nom nom.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    euuuw is all I say lol