Question about workout

Options
im 18 years old, average height weighing about 47.5kg and want to know what should I do to gain weight Workout-wise. I want to make myself a daily routine and I'm no expert so I need help. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Not sure what "average height" is, but you gain weight by eating more calories than your body burns. No exercise routine is going to make you gain weight. If you want to maximize muscle gains as opposed to fat gains, you need to strength train.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    P90X is a decent starter's routine, and pretty cheap if you don't need to go too heavy with the dumbbells. Which, at 47.5kg, my guess is that you'd have to start out pretty light (no offense!)
    They key to getting start with weight lifting is good form. I don't care if you're only using a 45lb Barbell with no weights, or a 5 lb dumbbell, start out very light and get used to performing the exercises with proper form before moving up in weight.
    Another great option would be to hire a personal trainer. Just a few sessions with a knowledgeable trainer could make a HUGE difference in the quality of time you spend working out.
    Last, but most certainly not least, be mindful of how you're eating. Yes, calories are calories, but eating like crap often leads to feeling like crap which makes working out more difficult. "Clean eating", so to speak, will help you achieve more from your workouts and help you feeling fuller, longer, than eating a lot of manufactured food.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    pay attention to your macros as you up your caloric intake... limit your cardio to a warm up say... 10-12 minutes... then hit the iron... if you can't afford weights... or a gym membership... look at body weight exercises muscle needs protein... make sure you get enough and always fuel your workouts...
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    AND before you astart any workout program.. talk to your doctor
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    im 18 years old, average height weighing about 47.5kg and want to know what should I do to gain weight Workout-wise. I want to make myself a daily routine and I'm no expert so I need help. Thanks in advance.
    Gain weight? Gain weight as in building muscle? If so, do you have access to a gym or will you be training at home?

Better details will beget better advice.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Lift weights every other day, not every day. Muscle builds up on the rest days. Use protein shakes as a supplement.
  • rondragon123
    rondragon123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gain weight? Gain weight as in building muscle? If so, do you have access to a gym or will you be training at home?

Better details will beget better advice.

I'm training in home, but have no weights or anything. Closest thing I have to a weight is a bunch of books...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You want to gain muscle? At home? With only books?

Oh my..
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    You want to gain muscle? At home? With only books?

Oh my..

It's harder but possible.
    Don't dismiss what you don't know.

It'd be easier and more efficient with a barbell & jazz.
    But people can do it with "you are your own gym"
    It's about progressively making it more difficult.
    OP can start with bodyweight stuff while amassing iron
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Start with bodyweight workouts and eating enough to put on muscle, for the time being. That means, you need to eat at a caloric surplus (roughly 500cals above what you eat to maintain your weight) and youtube some bodyweight workout routines. For size and strength training, I would recommend a gym membership and as a poster said above, maybe even a personal trainer for a few sessions. They should get you on the right path, just don't let them talk you into repeatedly seeing them once you understand how to perform workouts. As much as I despise BB.com, they do have some good workout programs on their website for beginners.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Get your nutrition squared away and check out the books "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy" if you can. Lots of workouts, etc. on YouTube as well.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Get your nutrition squared away and check out the books "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy" if you can. Lots of workouts, etc. on YouTube as well.

I've also heard that convict conditioning is good.