Count the calories you eat while running?

Options
kobzal
kobzal Posts: 74 Member
I am wondering how to account for the calories I take in while running on MFP. This morning I did 8.5 miles or so, burned 900 calories and had a GU packet and electrolyte drink totaling about 200 calories during the run. Should I subtract the 200 I ate from the 900 total burned? A nutritionist once came to talk to my running group and she said she tells her clients on weight watchers and such to not even count GU packets because your body uses them up right away.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Bump. Curious to know, too. Did 6.26 today, but only ate after.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Currently I count it all ... but I am curious to know someone elses opinion on this one.

I had 10oz gatorade and 4 chomps today for 7 miles!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Record your calorie burn and your GU packets. SO, if you burnt 900 and ate 200 --- you still have an additional 700 calories to eat today.

WW only has you eat back about 150 of your exercise calories (at least they use to only have you eat back 3 points) - this is probably why the WW lady told you not to count the GU - if you are running long enough for GU you are burning a ton of calories and need to eat back more than the 150. MFP has you eat back all your calories so definitely record the GU.
  • ghostmumm
    ghostmumm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's true that your body uses them up right away, but if you're entering your exercise in, you should enter in your calories too. Otherwise you'll see the benefits of the workout (in subtracted calories from your day's quota), without the honest offset for the extra calories you ate to fuel the workout.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I'd say log the food and exercise calories seperatly.
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Record your calorie burn and your GU packets. SO, if you burnt 900 and ate 200 --- you still have an additional 700 calories to eat today.

WW only has you eat back about 150 of your exercise calories (at least they use to only have you eat back 3 points) - this is probably why the WW lady told you not to count the GU - if you are running long enough for GU you are burning a ton of calories and need to eat back more than the 150. MFP has you eat back all your calories so definitely record the GU.

That's a good explanation about WW.

For MFP though you ate the calories so you should record regardless of when you use them up. I agree with the 900 - 200 = 700 left to eat.
  • romiga
    romiga Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I count mine, because even if your body uses it up quickly it doesnt change the fact that those cals were consumed. You can choose to add it to your daily intake or subtract it immediately from your run, whichever is easier for you but I highly recommend tracking/counting cuz it does count in the end. Plus if you decide to change products you can go back later and see what brands/types are most efficient and are producing the best results for you. Thats how I do especially with protein shakes. Hope that helps.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Yes your body might use the majority of it straight away, but as a result it wouldn't burn fat that it would use otherwise.

Personally, I'd log it, but I am a bit of a pedant - I log everything.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Seems the consensus is to log it. Makes sense to me!