Avocado!?

Options
2»

Replies

• maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just made a salad dressing the other day that was pretty good. Use 1/4 avocado, juice of 1 lemon, 2tbs grape seed oil ( I used avocado oil lol), 2 tbs water, 1 tbs dill and 1/8 tsp black pepper. You could change it up with different herbs. I made 3 servings out of it. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Slice 'em up and put on a salad or sandwich or burger. make guacamole. I have 1/2 an avocado pretty much everyday...I usually just half it and throw a little salt on there and scoop out the avocado with a spoon and eat it tht way. I also like throwing some soy sauce on it and just scooping it out.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lots of great ideas. I just wanted to chime in with some storage tips, since (I think) a goodly serving for one is about half of the avocado. If you don't try to limit air exposure and store in the fridge, the avocado will turn brown and icky-looking in a matter of hours :
    Keep the pit in the half you are storing, sprinkle with any citrus juice, put in in a baggie and make sure to get all the air out.
    If storing mashed, sprinkle citrus over the top and place plastic warp directly on top of the mash.
    Enjoy!
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone is a fan of avocado then lol :) I'm gonna try it tomorrow and see how I go :) thanks for the storage tip kmsoucy475 will make sure to do this!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    For storage I leave the pit in, cover the exposed flesh lightly with olive oil, then press plastic wrap against the surface. Store in the refrigerator. This gives me a solid day or two with minimal Browning.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I like to just chop it into big chunks and eat it with a little olive oil, vinegar, salt/pepper, cumin, diced cucumbers and tomatoes.

I also like to use greek yogurt (Fage, or whatever kind you like), drizzle with honey and some good crunchy granola for a sweeter snack.

Also....I like avocado a lot so I'd probably eat it all the ways above/below as well. A friend of mine made an icing with it that she used to ice a chocolate cake made with black beans. It wasn't the best chocolate cake I've ever had but it was pretty good.
  • terrenceobrien1
    terrenceobrien1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I began eating an avocado with my breakfast just last week. They're fabulous! I slice each half into squares and scoop them out with a spoon, then eat with a sliced apple and an orange. The creamy avocado fat really enhances the flavor of the other fruits. Avocados are A+. I'm bummed I hadn't tried them earlier.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Aw yum kruggeri that looks lovely! :) if anyone would like to add me feel free I'm new to mfp just looking for new friends to be inspired by and help motivate each other
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I did try the citrus juice to prevent browning, but found the easiest and quickest way was just stone in, and plastic wrap, but try to omit as much air as possible.
    They're good for two days in the fridge like that, I've never managed to leave a half any longer than that to find out how long they will keep for!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Something else you can use avocado for is desserts, too. Anything with chocolate hides the flavor of the avocado, so people have used it to make healthier versions of chocolate pudding or fudgesicles, too (just google avocado and the name of the food and tons of recipes will pop up). I think there's a south american dessert with it that uses lime juice, avocado, and sugar all mixed together, too.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    you can make guacamole a million different ways...I usually just smash the avocado with a fork, add lime, salt, pepper, and a little bit of salsa or hot sauce.

This. Put it on chicken or burgers, throw it on top of some lettuce or spinach as part of a salad (in place of dressing), or just eat it plain. It's one of the super foods.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Something else you can use avocado for is desserts, too. Anything with chocolate hides the flavor of the avocado, so people have used it to make healthier versions of chocolate pudding or fudgesicles, too (just google avocado and the name of the food and tons of recipes will pop up). I think there's a south american dessert with it that uses lime juice, avocado, and sugar all mixed together, too.

I have heard of this, but I don't really understand, how is that healthier? Avocado is delicious, but it is very calorie dense. So how is adding it to a chocolate dessert, making it "healthier"?
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I have heard of this, but I don't really understand, how is that healthier? Avocado is delicious, but it is very calorie dense. So how is adding it to a chocolate dessert, making it "healthier"?

Do you know, I don't know that I've ever thought about it too much? I have to eat dairy free and I've seen it mentioned as being healthier, but never sat down to work out the details.

Taking a guess, it might be for the nutrients involved (definitely not a calorie issue) - avocados are high in vitamin C, for example, and the fats in avocado are often thought to be a healthier type of fat, and it's a good source of fiber, too.

• KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm so bookmarking this thread for future use lol
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I make a kind of avocado mayonnaise by blending avocado, lemon juice and onion and/or garlic. I like it much more than regular mayonnaise, which I never really developed a taste for.