gastric bypass, now gaining weight

Options
I had gastric bypass in 2004. Over the last 3yrs I have gained weight significantly. Help!!!!

Replies

• MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm nine years post-op and have maintained 100+ pound weight loss. But I too have put back on some weight. One of the things that I did was reset my body and I went back to eating and exercising like I had just had the surgery. I started with walk, sip, rest. I went back to using protein supplements to protein boost and get my carb-cravings under control. Try doing a three day protein train. For three days only use protein supplements/smoothies and walk for 20-30 minutes every day. Drink a lot of water in between. Your pouch is still there and while it is probably a little larger it is still way smaller than your stomach was prior to surgery. And journal everything you eat and all activities. MFP has a phone app so I use that to log when I am away from my computer. Good luck on your journey back and feel free to friend me so that we can offer each other support and motivation.
  • kaydottee
    kaydottee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This app help me lose weight aling with exercise. Stick with it trust me it helps. I never had surgery this was my final result and I lost over 50
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You're living my biggest fear. I'm planning to run ahead of it (literally) by staying active. I'm cheering for you and wishing you all success.

I get inspiration from Al Roker's story.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a similar story to Al and I am getting back on track. Even with my weight gain, I have kept off over 100 pounds for nine years. Let's face it weighing 200 pounds versus 326 pounds is still the healthier option. It's the one thing I don't like about MFP is that there are a lot of people who really have a great distain for those of us who have had WLS. And a lot of people who will post about WLS trying to make us feel ashamed. I read one post today where the poster actually thinks that we've taken the easy way to weight loss. That we've sacrificed nothing to lose our weight. Really starting to think that I will keep journaling on MFP because it's a great way to log but tired of those who try to make me feel ashamed that I had WLS surgery.
  • donnascollins1
    donnascollins1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I to had gastric bypass surgery in 2009. After a car accident in 2011 I have regained 60 lbs over the past 4 yrs. I am setting goals and I now am ready to work on the regain I would love support. Anyone may friend me. Today is my start to the new me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound nasty an insensitive, but when you undergo surgery for weight loss, do you get counselling or access to someone to work with you on your issues that make you turn to food? (I'm just interested - i dont understand how surgery would be overly helpful unless you could work on your relationship with food at the same time)
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound nasty an insensitive, but when you undergo surgery for weight loss, do you get counselling or access to someone to work with you on your issues that make you turn to food? (I'm just interested - i dont understand how surgery would be overly helpful unless you could work on your relationship with food at the same time)

I agree. I've heard as many failure stories as success stories with the various surgery options, and it all boils down to making healthy food related decisions and getting active. Unfortunately, the surgeries are marketed as a "miracle" solution, targeting desperate people . My sister had a procedure done 8 years ago, and still struggles with her weight. She's never lost any significant weight, and always gains it back and more. Another friend had surgery in 2008, and ended up spending 18 months in the hospital with an infection, and is now confined to a wheelchair.

Not trying to scare anyone, but I just pray that anyone considering the surgery options would do their due diligence, not only on the procedure they're going to have, but on the doctor as well. Without making fundamental changes in habits, the surgeries will not work.

• sssmallwood
    sssmallwood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had rny gastric bypass in 2005....it's been 10 years...it's definitely not been easy but I would do it again.I maintained my weight loss of 100 lb for about 4 years but over the past 6 years it gradually keeps coming back even though I exercise 4 days a week and diet most all the time....I'm restarting mfp and going to devote all my energy to getting this off before I regain the last 55 lb and get back to my large weight....that's my biggest fear...I am in counseling but plan to join celebrate recovery program tomorrow to work specifically on this food addiction issue! I appreciate all the prayers and support I can get!
  • toiagoia
    toiagoia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Am I late to the Party?! I hear ya about the weight gain. I had Sx back in Feb of 2012, and I have regained 70 lbs since my initial 120 lb loss. I have have begun to incorporate stage 4-5 eating into my daily regiment, and I have seen and felt a difference in what I weigh and feel. The first 3-4 days was a nightmare, cause I was just eating garbage. Now focusing on proteins, fluids and having 3-5 small meals a day, I've begun to see some weight drop. My struggle was has been living with someone who has poor eating habits and pick those habits up. I'm hoping I can stay motivated and on track.
  • jasonagoode
    jasonagoode Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Yes. Or at least you're supposed to. At least here.

My friend had bypass. She had to have counselling and training before the surgery, as well as prove that she *could* lose weight by losing some pounds. The whole process took about a year just to get approved for the surgery.

Post-surgery, sugars are her nemesis. Anything sugary makes her sick, nausea and sometimes vomiting. She also has to go to monthly meetings now and check in. There are multiple meetings around here, so you can go to extra ones for extra motivation.

• Rockcity85
    Rockcity85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining wt after gastric bypass surgery then you must be eating everything in sight. Have some self-control!!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^^^OK Francis...Lighten up...^^^
  • smarmyschoolmarm
    smarmyschoolmarm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't judge what you don't know Rockcity85.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Rockcity85 wrote: »
    If you're gaining wt after gastric bypass surgery then you must be eating everything in sight. Have some self-control!!

Don't be an idiot!!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2004. Over the last 3yrs I have gained weight significantly. Help!!!!

You can get a lot of help and support here :) Just make friends with positive people, log everything you eat and you will soon be on the right path. Slow and steady wins the race, try to set your loss at 0.5lb a week. That will get you in to a long term habit of eating less. Tomorrow is a new day for your future eating habits.
  • Rockcity85
    Rockcity85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a physician I do know what I'm talking about.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Rockcity85 wrote: »
    I'm a physician I do know what I'm talking about.

Oh great another physician with a God complex....
  • UltraHealthSeeker
    UltraHealthSeeker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Here's the skinny: Weight loss surgery is a valuable tool but it does not guarantee you won't gain weight back if you return to the habits you were practicing pre-surgery. I used the Take Shape For Life Program (no surgery) to lose 150 pounds, but the product we use (Medifast) are the same products that bariatric surgeons use for their pre-and-post op patients. It's about learning how your body responds and honoring your genetic limitations both in total calories consumed and in your macro-nutrients also. Consuming more than your body is utilizing every day will lead to weight re-gain every time. My suggestion is that you utilize a portion-controlled meal-replacement program to get back in control now. Don't wait until you've gained even more weight. For me, it was a lifesaver. Wishing you success on your journey!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have never had a stable weight. I either slowly gain or slowly lose.

It's work to lose weight, whether you have gastric surgery or not. However, IMO, it's much harder to keep that weight off long-term.

You don't have to eat much extra to gain weight. An extra 100 or 200 calories a day will cause the weight to creep back.

I know that, if I want to maintain my loss once I get to a good weight for me, I'm going to have to keep tracking. Otherwise, the weight will return.

Good luck reaching your goals!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with people doing weightloss surgeries. If it helps someone to lose 75-100 pounds then it was for the best. But hopefully someone who does it also takes the time to correct those issues that led to being overweight in the first place. I compare it to a diet. A diet is a great way to lose weight but if you don't have a plan in place for maintenance once you've reached your target goal then it was a waste of time. But to bag on people who have chosen that route...get over yourselves.