Staying Healthy On Vacation

kndev
kndev Posts: 23 Member
Hello all :)
I will be going on a cruise to the Caribbean next week and i was wondering if anyone has any nutrition tips to help me stay on track?
Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    "Staying healthy" is all about what you are doing most of the time...you don't suddenly become unhealthy because you go on a vacation and indulge a little or whatever. Look at the bigger picture...when it comes to being healthy, a vacation or special occasion or whatever is irrelevant to living an overwhelmingly healthy lifestyle.

That said, just make good nutritional decisions and practice self control/portion control but splurge a little bit and have fun. I'm always way more active on vacations than I am at home, so I never really worry about it...and I'm pretty healthy and fit.
  • kelseyg22
    kelseyg22 Posts: 25 Member
    I usually take a fruit or two from breakfast to my hotel room for later snacking and don't forget to keep drinking the water but most importantly -- have fun!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Well, luckily the alcoholic drinks are expensive enough that you may not want to drink many. :o

But the food on cruises is usually abundant and high calorie. Walk or swim as much as you can, don't pig out like it's your last meal and have fun. Deal with any fallout when you get back home.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    what cwolfman13 said. if you feel that guilty about it, fill up on fruits, veggies and salads, but you are on vacation so indulge a little bit.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Tip: If you don't like it, don't eat it.

I've been on a few cruises, and the buffet food has always been subpar at best. People load up their plates anyway to "get their money's worth". If you don't fall into that trap, you'll be fine.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    "Staying healthy" is all about what you are doing most of the time...you don't suddenly become unhealthy because you go on a vacation and indulge a little or whatever. Look at the bigger picture...when it comes to being healthy, a vacation or special occasion or whatever is irrelevant to living an overwhelmingly healthy lifestyle.

That said, just make good nutritional decisions and practice self control/portion control but splurge a little bit and have fun. I'm always way more active on vacations than I am at home, so I never really worry about it...and I'm pretty healthy and fit.

110% this! I've been maintaining a 100 pound loss for several years now and I never worry about what I eat when on vacation. I'm on vacation and it is perfectly ok to indulge and enjoy :) Sure I come home and I'm up a few pounds but in a few weeks I'm right back down. If you are really worried then eat lots of fruit and veggies but still leave room for some treats. One thing I am consistent about though is exercise. I'm a runner so I get in a few good runs or workout at the gym but for me running and working out is relaxing...I'm just wired like that B) Go and have a good time and don't sweat the small stuff!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I'm also going to be away next week and I plan to indulge in things that are really worth it and just have fun. We have alot of fun, active things planned and will continue to eat lots of fruits/veg for snacks. Just because we're on vacation it doesn't mean every meal becomes a free for all. Have fun!
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    on a recent cruise i ate what i would eat at home.. and it was a holland america cruise.. excellent food and the served egg whites, turkey bacon.. there were alot of healthy choices. I found the alcohol put a few pounds on me that i worked off when i got home! enjoy!
  • kndev
    kndev Posts: 23 Member

110% this! I've been maintaining a 100 pound loss for several years now and I never worry about what I eat when on vacation. I'm on vacation and it is perfectly ok to indulge and enjoy :) Sure I come home and I'm up a few pounds but in a few weeks I'm right back down. If you are really worried then eat lots of fruit and veggies but still leave room for some treats. One thing I am consistent about though is exercise. I'm a runner so I get in a few good runs or workout at the gym but for me running and working out is relaxing...I'm just wired like that B) Go and have a good time and don't sweat the small stuff!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I needed some perspective about the "bigger picture". I'll be sure to make my time there memorable without worrying too much.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    I'm also going to be away next week and I plan to indulge in things that are really worth it and just have fun. We have alot of fun, active things planned and will continue to eat lots of fruits/veg for snacks. Just because we're on vacation it doesn't mean every meal becomes a free for all. Have fun!

Back in March I was in Rome for a marathon and then we went to Ireland for a few days. Every meal was a free for all :smiley: I get what your saying, I just never seem to be able to practice it on vacation LOL

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Eat and drink whatever you want. You're on vacation! But as someone else said, only eat it if it is REALLY GOOD. Otherwise save your calories for something better.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    I find it easier to keep on track on vacation simply because I'm usually out doing something and staying active. That keeps me moving around and away from the food. I might indulge a little more when I do eat but I more than make up for that by burning off those calories. Plus, any time that I might go really crazy and have a blow-out meal, I just figure out a way to exercise those calories away over the course of the next day or so. Vacation time affords me that kind of flexibility.
  • demonelle
    demonelle Posts: 12 Member
    Eat at maintenance, it's your vacation! Prepare yourself mentally for some water weight gain maybe, be mindful. If you are eating out for dinner go lighter on your lunch and breakfast etc. Consider liquid calories. Enjoy yourself! You deserve it.