bland food help

Options
im so used to cooking with butter and bbq sauce and when i ate a salad it was full or dressing so now by tracking my food i now know that is all unnecessary calories and dosent keep me full but now all my food is bland i have three kids and a husband who loves food so im finding it hard to cook for everyone ive tried explaining its healthier but they want all the not so good for you stuff and i am really dedicated to this how do i make everyone happy

Replies

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    They aren't unnecessary if they make you hate your food. If you need your dressing on a salad, have a smaller breakfast to make room for the ranch (I love ranch)! You can fit in anything, just not everything in every day.
    Butter isn't evil, we still need fat to function. It just needs to find room in your budget of calories.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    don't skimp on the butter when you cook! Just budget butter, dressing, etc., into you calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Try making your own vinaigrette dressings. They have just as much taste as creamy. Or, if you want the creamy, thin it out a bit with water, then add dehydrated onion or garlic flakes to thicken it back up (just need to let sit a few min). This adds a little extra flavor can cut the calories in half but still give you a creamy dressing.

I made a creamy buffalo dressing for my chicken and spinach salad today by using 1 tsp mayo, 2 tsp Frank's Red Hot buffalo sauce, water and dehydrated onions. Creamy, spicy and low cal!

You can also make your own lower calorie bbq sauce. Or, if you don't want to be bothered with that, buy a hot bbq with less sugar, then add a little Stevia or other sweetener (if you like it sweet).

Sauces and dressing are typically super easy and quick to make. The internet is loaded with recipes. Just adjust to lower calories, if you want.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Butter and dressing is good for you. Fat is important. Makes absorpsion of many vitamins possible.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt as salad dressing, works well with salsa for a taco salad or something along that lines. You can also use it with your favorite seasonings and to thin add a little milk. It's much lower calories and gives you a little extra protein in your day. Sometimes I do a half greek yogurt, half salad dressing combo or add a little powdered ranch dressing to the yogurt.

I use a lot of spices in my cooking, not necessarily hot and spicy just spices in general and balsamic vinegar is your friend just go lightly until you get used to using it. A good basic spice combo for meats is garlic, chili powder, cumin and black pepper adds a little bit of heat (depending on chili powder amount) and a little smoke (cumin) flavor, perfect for pulled pork, meatloaf and grilled chicken.
    BBQ sauce isn't horrible, bit high in sugar and sodium which can creep up on you but instead of soaking your food in the sauce just add it at the end. I soak chicken drumsticks in watered down BBQ sauce overnight then cook on the grill and as it's cooking just gently brush the chicken with sauce.

Take a little time to surf the net, experiment a little on your own and you'll find your own path.

• JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Try putting the bbq sauce on the table for them to add to their food. You can then skimp on it or not use it if it doesn't fit into your calorie goal for the day. As for dressing, put that on the side as well and dip your fork into the dressing for each bite. You will end up using less dressing but still have some added flavor to your salad. It may take a while, but you will get used to having less dressing.

The other comments about using other spices that don't add a lot of calories also works. Experiment.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Also, look outside sauces for flavor. Explore cooking with spices and fresh herbs.

Adding strongly flavored greens like basil leaves and arugula to a salad can also add flavor that doesn't rely on dressing.
  • ambersanford204
    ambersanford204 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I second making your own dressings and bbq sauces. You can even make your own ketchup and they are all so much better! I still use butter [probably more than I should] but you can get the flavor of butter by using 1/4 of the butter and substitute olive oil or coconut oil for the rest. Fresh and dried herbs are most definitely your friend along with fresh onions, garlic, and acids [lime or lemon]. I make mini turkey meatloaf loaded with veggies and the flavor from those veggies is awesome! Homemade ketchup on the side for dipping your kids and husband will be happy. I can share the recipes for those if you'd like. Just message me!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You don't have to eat bland food! Why don't you take a look at a few healthy recipe blogs to get some ideas for what to cook. Search for just about anything you want to make within the sites, and you'll find options.

www.skinnytaste.com
    www.cookinglight.com
    www.eatingwell.com

Would your family like bacon topped meatloaf?
    Bacon-Topped-Petit-Turkey-Meatloaf-with-BBQ-Sauce.jpg

Or shepherd's pie?
    shepherd%27s-pie%2C-lightened-up.jpg

Or lasagna rolls?
    Three-Cheese-zucchini-stuffed-lasagna-rolls.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I still use salad dressing, but instead of drowning my salad in it, I use 1 or 2 Tbsp...I either make my own or use Newman's light Italian or light vinagrette. Bolthouse Farms also makes some good creamy dressings using yogurt that are much lower calorie than their counterparts.

I still cook with oils and butters...but instead of a 1/4 cup of oil or some crazy thing, I found that, depending on what I'm cooking, 1/2 tsp to 1 Tbsp usually works just fine. Dietary fat is a very essential macro-nutrient...it is calorie dense so you do have to watch it, but it shouldn't be eliminated...it is essential for absorption of certain nutrients as well as to nervous system function, brain function, digestion, heart heath, etc...just to name a few.

Eating healthy doesn't mean your food needs to taste like cardboard. You can eat very healthfully and have awesome tasting food all at the same time.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to use those things, start experimenting with spices, you can get tones of flavor with hardly any calories. Like dawnmcneil10 stated above, garlic, chili powder, cumin are all good. If you want more Italian, use garlic, basil, oregano. There are all sorts of combinations that make this delicious.

I like oil and vinegar for dressings, sometimes I just use salsa for dressing, for bottled dressing if I want something that is creamy like ranch or blue cheese, I use Bolthouse Farms Greek Yogurt dressings...and sometimes I splurge and go for the full fat stuff.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have been making my own dressings lately & I am so much happier. If I amp up the vinegar then they are so much more flavorful. I haven't made any creamy dressings, but rather just add some cottage cheese and it gets all coated in creamy goodness. I also started using more spices that I hadn't in the past to get my taste buds going. I have been on a cumin kick. Putting it in my brown rice and black beans. Fresh garlic is a wonderful thing too.
  • Friederike_Bull
    Friederike_Bull Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Re salad dressing: I've found that loads of fresh herbs tend to do the trick. Also, Parmesan (or Grana Padano, if you can get it) is your friend: it's got such a strong flavour that just two grams or so sprinkled on your salad give a lot of tastiness. Plus, there are some really good low-fat mayonnaise replacements out there; Hellmans do a mayo that has only 3% fat and tastes pretty much like the real thing, and you can vary it by adding some garlic, or some tomato puree (sparingly!)?

Re butter: have you tried cooking with diet oil spray and then melting a small piece of butter over the food afterwards? Adding the butter up front means most of the buttery taste is lost in cooking anyway, whereas adding it at the very end means you get lots more flavour from a comparatively small amount.

Re cooking for others: you could always make some really filling starchy side dishes (mashed potatoes, pasta, boiled rice & the like) and just have a small helping of that for yourself while the non-dieters at your table can fill up on it? With children, I've found that hiding tons of veg in a stew is an easy way to make them eat their greens without knowing about it. If you brown the meat off really well at the beginning, the stew gets a lovely meaty flavour throughout, and you can add pulses (beans, chickpeas etc) for cholesterol-neutral extra protein, loads of onions, tomatoes and mushrooms for bulk, and some grated carrots and frozen peas about 10 mins before serving to add a bit of sweetness. If it still doesn't taste meaty enough, perhaps try adding some beef stock cubes to the sauce? Also, smoked paprika is currently all the rage over here, and it does lend a wonderful smokey-savoury flavour to everything and goes especially well with red meats. One of my favourite cheats (time-wise, not calorie-wise) is to make a huge pot of neutrally flavoured stew that will last us several days and stash it in the fridge in meal-sized portions. I'll then add Italian flavour with lots of rosemary & garlic etc one day and serve it with pasta, another day I'll add cumin and paprika (I can't use chili powder b/o allergies, but that would definitely add some kick to things) for a sort-of Mexican meal, with tacos or even just some nice fresh crusty bread. You can also add Indian spices and serve it with rice ... the possibilities are endless :-)
  • courtneystricker
    courtneystricker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thank you for your feedback i will use some of your wonderful tips
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Seems like a couple of issues here.

1) Taste: Experiment with different seasonings. You'll be amaised how good real food tastes when seasoned. Chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, tabasco sauce, there are so many great ways to season your food out there. Experiment, find what you like.

2) The Family: Your the mom you should control what your kids eat. Your job is not to make everyone happy. Do you let your kids run in traffic, even if it makes them happy? Teach them to have a good relationship with food and to love healthy food. So they make good healthy choices as a adults and live longer and healthy lives. Your husband should get on board and be supportive of you and model good behavior for you kids, he needs to care about the long-term health of his kids, if not to be healthy himself. Or - he can cook for himself.
  • courtneystricker
    Options
    my children love fruits and veggies thats not the problem the problem is that they want tons of butter and cheese and salt to add to it i have tried cooking mine seperate but thats alot of work and my husband says he wants to be healthier but still decides to eat the unhealthy way he tries to do good but when i tell him about portion sizes or maybe eating fruit instead of a huge bowl of sugar cereal he just ignores me and eats the unhealthy thing instead and i hate watching him eat all this stuff in front of me and im still new to this so i still want to give in and im not going to lie i have a few times but i am trying really hard
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Take care of your own plate/bowl. Other people are going to eat things. If you want it fit it in your calories or don't have it. I find it helpful to prelog my food so I can eat what I want.
    Reduce your portion size of higher calorie stuff. Have more vegetables or salad. Drink water while eating and savor your food.
    I've found it is easier to use less of a vinagrette type salad dressing.
    Try roasting or grilling foods for a different flavor. Combine foods differently.
    Explore different herbs and spices in cooking. Use more garlic and onions.
    Try cutting the amount of butter or cheese you use down. I still eat butter and cheese but have reduced it a bit.
    Plan meals so there are some family favorites each week but some new things occasionally.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Great start with the fruits and veggies, that is something you can build off of. Cheese is ok, there are some great 50 cal string cheeses. Don't buy butter (there are other options - olive oil or margerine) or use salt.

Experiment with different seasonings. Now days with the Internet you can find so many interesting, healthy and easy recipes. Once you and your family start eating right consistently, your taste buds will change and you/they will prefer healthier foods (what we like is conditioned in part on what we currently are eating). Once you do it consistently it gets really easy to eat well.

One last thing - Do you buy the groceries? I suspect you have more control over what everyone eats than you think.
  • courtneystricker
    Options
    we all go shopping together and its hard for me to take away everything my kids and husband like to eat it makes me feel like im forcing everyone to eat like me and i made the choice for myself to eat healthier but my kids didn't and neither did my husband
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    One of the easiest ways to fix bland food is with a nice variety of spices. And nothing wrong with some butter in your cooking!