Best vegan Meat and Cheese alternatives?

Options
Maguigi
Maguigi Posts: 9 Member
I have recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol and have been on blood pressure medication for years. The doctor has given me some time to bring down my cholesterol on my own. I am taking this very seriously, as I do not want to go on medication. I have drastically changed my eating habits, for the better, of course. Anyway, I like beans and eat those. I also eat nuts, but limit them due to fat and calories. I enjoy boca burgers. I know there are many meat and cheese alternatives out there. Which ones should I try? What are your favorites?

Replies

• digesare
    digesare Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I made quinoa burgers for my sister in law who is a vegetarian and I've also made Tempeh which has high protein. I've tried the cheese alternatives and I found daiya to be my favorite.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Field Roast makes amazing sausages and burgers and their new cheese is also quite good. Beyond Meat "chicken" is my favorite chicken substitute.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for convenience, or low-sodium? Homemade black bean burgers are amazing. I would take dry black beans, soak them, cook them, mash them up. I'd add in oatmeal (since many breadcrumbs are not vegan), a low-sodium Tamari, corn kernels,cumin, black pepper, finely diced yellow onion, pressed garlic clove and then mix it together, making adjustments to keep everything bound together. If it's too wet I add a little more oatmeal (you can grind it up or put it in a food processor if you want a finer texture). Then I bake them in the oven until they are crispy on the outside and cooked through. There are lots of recipes online if you're interested in going the from-scratch route.

As far as a cheese substitute Daiya is the best, but I recommend it in moderation. When I went dairy-free for an allergy test I relied on Daiya to quell my cheese cravings. Not only is there a ton of sodium in the stuff, but I ended up having lots of digestive issues. Google "Daiya sickness". Apparently the fat content bothers a lot of people. But in terms of being the most realistic cheese substitute, nothing else on the market really comes close. If you want more of the taste, but not so much the texture, I love nutritional yeast.
  • Maguigi
    Options
    I am looking for convenience items that are pre-made. I do cook a lot and I also eat meat. I am just trying to cut way back on saturated fat and cholesterol. I like that soy alternatives provide both protein and fiber. I looked at Daiya cheese and may give it a try. Because it is dairy free, it does not provide any protein is essentially just FAT. However, it is cholesterol free.
  • Maguigi
    Options
    Field Roast makes amazing sausages and burgers and their new cheese is also quite good. Beyond Meat "chicken" is my favorite chicken substitute.

Where do you find Field House sausages?
  • Maguigi
    Options
    Anyone try Heido Ho, from Shark Tank? They do not carry it at my local Whole Foods. Also, wonder about Quorn products. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Maguigi wrote: »

Where do you find Field House sausages?

I get them at Whole Foods.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    lentils! mash 'em, patty 'em, put 'em in a stew. Chickpeas, same thing.
    Quinoa, barley, and bulgur wheat all have good protein for grains.
    For all of the above, they are great to make in and portion out in advance. Also, put any of the above on top of a green salad.
    Silken tofu is good in smoothies.
    Firm tofu is good in a scramble instead of eggs.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Beyond Meat and Field Roast are amazing.

Daiya cheese and Chao Cheese (made by Field Roast) are the best vegan cheeses.

If you get the Daiya Cheese it mostly comes in shred form, you have to melt it for it to be tasty. They did just release wedges and slices not too long ago that are good without being melted but the shreds you should cook. Just dont' get the swiss, provolone or jack flavors....blah.

And the best fake meats hands down are the Gardein products. Hands down. And you can find Gardein at pretty much any grocery store at this point.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to bring your blood pressure down as well? If so, switching to commercial substitutes might not do it or do enough for your cholesterol. They can be high in fat and salt. I got my blood pressure down on a vegan diet but I had to be rigid about added fat. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying. I just want to say don't give up if your initial changes aren't enough. It's doable and for me it's worth it to stay off meds. (Plant foods don't have cholesterol but your body can still make it out of excess fat.)
  • Maguigi
    Options
    I have been eating a lot more plant based foods. Not planning on consuming a ton of these products. I always read labels and watch for fat and sodium. I look forward to trying some of the suggestions here. Will let everyone know what I think. Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for five years, vegan for one her. I've tried everything I can find, and for the most part, I've been unimpressed with a lot of them. Vegan cheese wise Daiya is "okay". Stoneyfield soy yogurt is amazing! Boca burgers are good, and Morning star sausages and burgers are the best I've ever tried! However, most of their line isn't vegan, but vegetarian.
  • AngelaHBecks
    AngelaHBecks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you google Moxarella recipes, it's great! I use it on hot dishes as well as chilled like cream cheese.
  • stefs75
    stefs75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone try Heido Ho, from Shark Tank? They do not carry it at my local Whole Foods. Also, wonder about Quorn products. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments.

I have tried several quorn products and have LOVED each one! My favorite is the cutlets, i also like the Nuggets better than morning star :-)
  • Maguigi
    Options
    What is Moxarella?
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    What is Moxarella?

Mozzarella is a very tender, medially humid cheese, awesome for Italian recipes and entries.

Meat replacement? Chick peas, eggplant and onion.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I like violife faux cheese slices and OMFG mushroom sausages