Before I have Bariatric Surgery

Options
Hello,

I'm trying to do this right from the start, and keep track of my new life style. I will be have bariatric surgery soon and want to know if anyone has any advice.

Replies

• bassjones
    bassjones Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the Gastric Sleeve Bypass October 28. Since surgery, I've lost over 100 lbs. most of that has come without exercise because I had a bone infection in my right foot and ended up having to have the pinkie toe and 5th metatarsal amputated. I went for my first bicycle ride today and it was noticeably easier than my rides in September despite the lack of exercise since February. I'm sure it will become even easier the more weight I lose. I'm shooting for another 80 lbs total loss and a pair of 100 mile organized Century rides in September.
  • bridget1103
    bridget1103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good luck! My best advice is to do everything they tell you to do. Listen to your doctors!
  • smarmyschoolmarm
    smarmyschoolmarm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your foot Bassjones! I'm just beginning the sleeve journey; have my first visit with the surgeon in 3 weeks. I'd say the doctors know far more about this than the rest of us put together so listen to what they tell you. Consider it a prescription and take it the way you are directed.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Good luck with surgery!
  • SwammysGirl
    SwammysGirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mccarraher wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm trying to do this right from the start, and keep track of my new life style. I will be have bariatric surgery soon and want to know if anyone has any advice.

Good luck with surgery!!! I just sent everything to insurance for approval for mine on Tuesday!!! I should have their answer within 2 weeks :)
  • krazy2b23
    krazy2b23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had bypass surgery Aug 2014 almost 90lbs down without excersizing. But skin needs toned so starting that journey now. I am 35 to goal and I am sure I well get there with excersizing just a lil. I have some family members whom had other surgeries with no success infact reverting to having a second surgery opting to the bypass. It is statistically the most effective of all 3 options you may be presented with, and I can speak from experience and so far falling into the higher percentile. Its been a hard journey I would do again. If I can give one word of advice is if you have a serious food addiction as I do/had it makes for a longer harder battle with many many many sick days. Some of my family has still had weight gain from food addiction. I wish i would have done it and it would have made things easy.