Ugh.. Weekends

Options
merrycat
merrycat Posts: 131 Member
Agh! I was doing fairly well for calories this week, and then Friday comes along and I go 500 over! What's worse, I haven't even been able to exercise these last couple of days because of very painful shin splints. The problem is that we go out with friends on weekends, and I can't always control where we go to eat. Will this set me back very far? And how do you deal with eating when the meals are out of your control eg, at someone else's house, or a reastaurant, etc?

Replies

• red4560
    red4560 Posts: 32
    Options
    over eating one day won't set you back. Its over a period of time you have to watch out for.. For eating out and going to friends' places you'll become friends with "to-go" boxes. Just eat small quantites but don't eat till you are full, especially for dinner. good luck!
  • iplaydrums
    iplaydrums Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it! It happens! Its important that you live your life and have lots of fun doing so! You'll get better at controlling weekend binges with some practice. Just remember when you go out to eat that you don't HAVE to finish what's on your plate. Eat slowly and enjoy what you eat but don't feel like you need to eat it all.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My basic rule when eating out - check for a section of menu with low cal/healthy living. If there is not one make the best choices possible. Grilled instead of fried. Veggie in place of potato. Nix the salad dressing or use the smallest amount. Stay away from the bread, appetizer and desert area.

Someones home? Portion control and/or moderation.

Also at the restaurant? Don't let it side track you too much. Maybe split the meal in half and do a take home bag for the next day or later in the evening.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    you may have shin splints but that doesnt mean you cant do strength training arms, abs, chest etc. That would burn some cals so you can negate some of those extra calories:smile:
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've been on the road and eating garbage, and lots of it, every other weekend for the past 2 months. I come home and find that I've gained like 6 pounds in 2-3 days. But in the next 2-3 it's all gone again. I'm still averaging a little over 2 pounds a week.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    when you know you are going out in advance: 1. plan extra exercise ( I know you have shin splints find a low impact for this time) 2. be conservative with your calories earlier in the day (don,t starve yourself) eat high protein and fiber so you feel full. 3. the moast important thing after doing the prep work is...... go out and have fun ;)))
  • nurse_carolyn
    nurse_carolyn Posts: 348
    Options
    when you know you are going out in advance: 1. plan extra exercise ( I know you have shin splints find a low impact for this time) 2. be conservative with your calories earlier in the day (don,t starve yourself) eat high protein and fiber so you feel full. 3. the moast important thing after doing the prep work is...... go out and have fun ;)))

good advice, thanks :smile:
  • NancyCatherineWalker
    Options
    A lot of restaurants will let you order a "lunch portion" at dinner time. These are usually smaller size options. If they won't give you a lunch portion start your meal by cutting your items in half. Once you eat the pre-cut section stop eating and ask for a take away container. I'm lucky to have a teenager who will eat any leftovers. If you don't then try to pick items that will reheat easily.

Another trick is to carry a Sharpie in your purse. You can mark what's in the container and the date on the top so that you can remember what is what.
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Dont let shin splints prevent you from being active!!! You can still do pushups and lift some dumbells and things of that sort! Its better than nothing and you will burn more calories building lean muscle!

My rules for eating out.....
    1.examine the menu for the healthiest items and get it the way you like it...DONT get it unhealthy if you want it healthy!!
    2.SHARE!! Dont be afraid to share with your spouse or someone with you,otherwise get half of it to go....I share everything with my hubby and my dogs :) I tell the waitress to also not include fries with my sandwich if it only comes that way or I will waste them.lol
    3.Eat sloooowwwwww.....set your fork down and let your tummy catch up to make you aware that you are full
    4. sit and chat too long if there is food in front of you....otherwise have it removed or boxed....you dont wanna graze while chatting.
    5.I find it a challenge to find the healthiest stuff on the menu everywhere I go....make it a challenge.

Ultimately its you vs you.....YOU need to be responsible for what actions you make...you are in charge!
    Good luck :)