Low-carb Pizza Crust recipe anyone? (Primal friendly would be a bonus!)

Options
CoconuttyMummy
CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
I'm really craving Pizza this weekend for my treat meal but im off the wheat completely and currently low-carbing, so a regular bready pizza dough is a big no-no.

Does anyone know of any wheat-free, low-carb or primal pizza recipes please?

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    How about going thin crust and using a corn tortilla?

I've done large portabello mushroom caps baked or grilled and then topped with a meaty pasta sauce and cheese.
    You can use zucchini as well just slice into long srips about 1/2" thick and bake or grill to dry them out. I usually do diced tomatoes or a garlic and olive oil sauce and top with lots of parmesan.

Neither of those will cure the deep doughy feel of real pizza but if it's really more about the toppings I say give them a try.

Maybe try making pizza potato skins, bake the potatoes, remove some of the fleshy middle then top with sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you want and bake again.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My lunch today is eggplant pizza. Instead of a crust, I slice up eggplant (about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick) and sprinkle a few drops of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Bake in the oven until soft to the touch. Top with sauce and whatever toppings you like. Super easy!
  • ambersanford204
    ambersanford204 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can use zucchini to make the crust. Plan on doing this when our garden is ready for the picking...

http://www.myhumblekitchen.com/2013/09/best-zucchini-recipe-ever-zucchini-crust-pizza/#sthash.uZeYVy8A.dpbs
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here is a crust that I make for pizza and even bottom layers for taco bake (enchilada) or casseroles. It is low carb.

4 ounces cream cheese
    3 eggs
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon (Italian seasoning for pizza or taco seasoning for enchiladas, etc..)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    8 ounces Shredded mozzarella cheese (for pizza) or cheddar for enchiladas, etc..

Beat the cream cheese and eggs until smooth.
    Add seasoning, salt and pepper to cream cheese and egg mizture.
    Grease a 9"x3" baking dish (or round dish of your choice, pizza pan)
    Spread the mozzarella cheese or other cheese on bottom of pan.
    Pour cream cheese and egg mixture slowly and as evenly as possible.

Bake this at 375, for 25 to 30 minutes, until brown (can even put oven broil to brown if necessary).

Take out of oven and let cool. Put your favorite toppings for pizza, or enchiladas, what ever you are making and cook your pizza...

• alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    wheat free i recommend orgran pizza and pastry multimix but it won't be low carb, if it's a treat just eat less and do the carbs. when i'm craving pizza and can't eat it i stir fry some mushrooms and add them while still hot to some beaten eggs, sometimes with little bits of turkey ham mixed in, pop it back to the frying pan, cook and flip to cook the other side, then i top it with some grated cheese and pretend is pizza.

I've heard of people using the same concept to make the base, then topping it as they would a pizza and sticking it in the oven.

Also search for cauliflower pizza base recipe, i think i saw it on the bbc food website, that's bound to be even more low calorie.
  • pg1946
    pg1946 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have used this cauliflower pizza crust and the taste is astounding!! I had my doubts at first and was so happy with the results.

http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/2011/01/kurzweils-cauliflower-pizza-crust.html
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you could have a primal friendly pizza. Everything about pizza is processed. The crust, the sauce, the cheese (all requirements for pizza by definition). Either you can eat only unprocessed foods, or you can eat pizza. You can't do both.
  • QuilterGirl3
    QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd just eat that zucchini crust plain!

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup ground pork rinds
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    1 egg
    1tsp Italian seasoning

350 degrees -10 minutes

I also use portabello mushroom cap as the crust.
  • Gemzzz12
    Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    pg1946 wrote: »
    I have used this cauliflower pizza crust and the taste is astounding!! I had my doubts at first and was so happy with the results.

http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/2011/01/kurzweils-cauliflower-pizza-crust.html

I second this! Its very nice. :) You can make loads of things with cauliflower such is pretend rice and mashed potatoe and they are just as good! Do a google search for recipes!
  • GregSponaugle
    GregSponaugle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Use Mission Carb Balance Tortillas as your crust. I lightly toast mine first, then top and bake for a few minutes to melt the cheese. It satisfies my craving for pizza without the bizarre tastes of other crust recipes.
  • Curvy1Gezel
    Curvy1Gezel Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Packet of instant mash with half the water it says to add,
    (it makes a dough)
    flatten out onto a tray and bake till slightly crisp
    then add your pre cooked toppings and cheese then bake till cheese is bubbling tastes Devine and satisfies my cravings for pizza.
    (I didn't think it would work but it does)
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Great ideas everyone, thankyou. I'll definitely be trying these ideas out 1 by 1!
    Saturday night at our house has always been Pizza night prior to our healthy eating awakening. Saturday is now our cheat/treat meal day so it's wonderful to have so many ideas that will satisfy cravings for Pizza but using ingredients that fit into a wheat-free/low-carb/primal diet. Lovely.

I actually tried the following recipe this time, because i forgot id posted this recipe request late last night (duhh!):_

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/06/18/meat-feast-pizza/

Honestly, it was just OK. The taste was not great but acceptable. The texture was disappointing for me as the base was soft and, erm, floppy (im a thin & crispy base girl every time).; i know i cant expect a perfectly crisp, dry base with these ingredients but it was on the verge of being soggy, despite being cooked for an extra 6 minutes at a super-hot 450F. But the main problem was the dough base stuck completely to the greaseproof paper, which meant most of the slices came out the pan in several messy pieces - presentation fail!
    Also i found this dough to sit too heavy on the stomach. It almost felt like id eaten regular pizza - you know that stuffed feeling you get after too much bread like youve eaten a lump of concrete? Well i only ate 2 small slices and thats how i felt. I think it must be all the almond flour or something?

Anyhoo, just thought id say thanks and throw in my thoughts about the above Cauliflower/Almond/Flax pizza dough recipe i tried.

• Curvy1Gezel
    Curvy1Gezel Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Packet of instant mash with half the water it says to add,
    (it makes a dough)
    flatten out onto a tray and bake till slightly crisp
    then add your pre cooked toppings and cheese then bake till cheese is bubbling tastes Devine and satisfies my cravings for pizza.
    (I didn't think it would work but it does)

This makes a lovely thin and crispy base :)
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Great! This will be next Saturdays treat meal Pizza base recipe then. Fankoo!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options